• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Anyone go over to the XDA forum?

I've posted it here because its relevant somewhat to people who have mobiles...

Is it just me or what? Because I can hardly understand anything over at the XDA forum. I recently moved from my ye old keypad nokia n86 to an all singing all dancing samsung galaxy s2, so i thought i'd take a look at how to improve or customise it.

And the amount of Swahili I'm being hit with is astounding... and everyone ignores the questions i ask..

Last edited:

jonasbry

It is mainly a place for developers and can be bit too much at times. I also think that most of the more knowledgeable ones are getting tired of answering questions that come up all the time, simple search & reading posts should get you pretty far..

Android is amazing. You can leave it as it is or change everything, however, the latter requires some reading on your behalf.. :D

Ayub

Distinguished Member
I've posted it here because its relevant somewhat to people who have mobiles...

Is it just me or what? Because I can hardly understand anything over at the XDA forum. I recently moved from my ye old keypad nokia n86 to an all singing all dancing samsung galaxy s2, so i thought i'd take a look at how to improve or customise it.

And the amount of Swahili I'm being hit with is astounding... and everyone ignores the questions i ask..

You will see quesions like " i bricked my phone" 5 threads down you will see another saying the same thing and above as a sticky you will see " how to unbrick your phone". After a while it gets annoying and you simply want to tell the lazy people to **** off as the reg's and people who use forums are aware that the search tab comes up with all yours answers.

WhyAyeMan

I go on there myself, but its mainly to keep abreast of firmware releases or bugs that arise in the phone, and if I can I'll always try and help if I feel I have anything to contribute.

9/10 however, searching usually yields the results I am looking for.

Overall though, I don't find it a very friendly place.

What do you expect though, it is full of geeks! Admittedly very clever people as well, but still...

Ruudfood

It can be really daunting if you have no idea where to start. I originally used it around 3 years ago I think and it was for Windows Mobile only. I got to grips with it fairly quickly but now that I've moved to Android finding novice info is sometimes incredibly difficult.

I think the key, as has been said, is to read read read and read again.

finbaar

OP - You WILL get ignored or insulted over at XDA if you ask a question which has bee asked a million times before "how do I root my phone" for example. There are other slightly more friendly forums such as MoDaCo.com but it depends what phone you have as to where you will get the best support. With my ZTE Blade MoDaCo is best and when I had the bad experience of owning a SE X10 XDA was the place to be. However a simple rule for ANY forum is to search before asking a question. This has two advantages, firstly you will find your answer quickly if it is there and secondly you will not incur geek wrath.

You could start by asking simple questions here or over at Digital Spy as it is unlikely they will have been asked before.

Hope you are enjoying your new toy, got to say I am jealous especially of that screen.

oddbubble

The problem is xda has become a victim of its own sucses. It used to be just people who new what they were doing, now the comunity is huge and that brings alot of unexpected trafic there way and the devs and more experianced users strugle to answer all the questions that yoused to be common knowlage, and alot of people forget that they are giving away there time and skills for free

You will also notice that a few devs have started to splinter off and start there own fourms, because of the abuse they get when noobs f##k up there devise

novahob

To be fair if you use the search function first and then ask and state that in your post then its not so bad. To be honest if you take time and read all the information it's there. I've just installed a nand Rom on my HD2 and that was by reading all the threads related to flashing a nand Rom. Guess what, it was easy, people just need to take time and do a bit of research and not expect people to do it for them.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom