Anyone getting the Denon 3806?

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Got an email from Creative audio today saying they were expected for delivery today. Just a little surprised there's been little or no talk on here on this one....anyone planning on getting one?:)

Cable Monkey

One or two have held out, but with 3805's being so cheap right now and pretty much faultless to boot, many have opted for that choice. There is also some quality competition from Yamaha, Marantz Pioneer and others.

HSC

I have one on order - but it may be another 2 weeks as I wanted the black version.

Originally it was not going to have component to HDMI up-conversion - so I was going to hold out for the 4306.

but a change in the specs and a 4 week delay has added this feature (no doubt in respose to the competitions new amps)

Cable Monkey

Smurfin said:
How cheap are the 3805s going for now?
£710 + postage? I have seen ex demo for less than £700 in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago. Second hand prices should be down now also, or will be if 3805-3806 upgrades happen in significant numbers.

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Doesn't sound too cheap when the 3806 should be available for around £850 in a few weeks:)

cadmeister

Standard Member
I'm also waiting for a 3806. Guarenteed purchase from me and also surprised that there is so little comment or indeed material on this amp.

Devil On Your S

I got a brand new 3803 for £260 around a month ago from thedude on here :D

Cable Monkey

Smurfin said:
Doesn't sound too cheap when the 3806 should be available for around £850 in a few weeks:)
It will be no doubt, but only when all the 3805's have all gone.

Devil On Your S said:
I got a brand new 3803 for £260 around a month ago from thedude on here
That is a whole lot of amp for very little money!

sidicks

Banned
Smurfin said:
Got an email from Creative audio today saying they were expected for delivery today. Just a little surprised there's been little or no talk on here on this one....anyone planning on getting one?:)
I'm planning to get a 3806 for the longe and then a AVC-A11XV for the home cinema room.

Off-topic, but I'm also interested to know when the upgraed 2920 and 3920 DVD players are expected, or do you think they are waiting for HD-DVD / Blue ray.....??

sidicks

cadmeister

Standard Member
OK, I just took the plunge and went for it. I pick it up next Saturday along with a 1920 DVD player. Woo Hoo... :D

Cable Monkey

cadmeister said:
OK, I just took the plunge and went for it. I pick it up next Saturday along with a 1920 DVD player. Woo Hoo... :D
I got sucked in by my 3805 so much that I upgraded my source (from a 2910 :eek: ) and speakers to do it justice. It gets expensive!

Knyght_byte

i love my 3910.....heh...

just wish i had the 3805 or 3806 so i could use denonlink.....only reason is to free up my ext inputs for my computer....lol

my 3803 otherwise does me fine, its a nice amp :)

A

alfieginger

Finding a second hand 3805 ain't so easy !!

Just picked up an ex-dem from Sevenoaks in silver for £650, it's only a couple of months old and comes with a brand new remote and two year guarantee.

That's nearly £300 cheaper than a 3806 and I don't need multiple hdmi so I'm happy enough.

It's a massive improvement in my set up compared to the pioneer AX3 I was using. :thumbsup:

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Smurfin said:
I've had mine for about 2 weeks, what do you want to know?

Russell

easyshas

Dear Russ,

I have 3910 and 3806.The manual states do not touch volume on SW after auto set up.Movie replay sounds great as do SACD/DVD-AUDIO however bass is overpowering on cd in sereo causing me to notch volume output on SW down.

Any thoughts?

Easyshas

easyshas

And another thing Russ,

Why is there no LFE output on direct and pure direct?

Am i doing something wrong again?

I wish I knew more about this melarky!

By the way for everyone out there worried about the WHiFi review give the 3806 a demo and let your ears decide.It sounds fantastic to me.

H

HarryW

Hi easyshas,

i have the same setup and there is LFE output on puredirect and direct. What Sub do you have?

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
easyshas said:
Dear Russ,

I have 3910 and 3806.The manual states do not touch volume on SW after auto set up.Movie replay sounds great as do SACD/DVD-AUDIO however bass is overpowering on cd in sereo causing me to notch volume output on SW down.

Any thoughts?

Easyshas
The reason for not touching the subwoofer volume is because the Audessey EQ should leave you with a flat in room response acroos the entire multichannel frequency range. The amp as part of this will adjust the relative gain on all channels within reason. This is why they say set your subwoofer volume to halfway - it can't adjust a subwoofer set to zero volume. I believe the AEQ only effects digital inputs and if you are listening to CD via stereo analogue inputs you subs settings may be very different to what Audessey has decided. Either way I would turn the EQ off, play a CD and adjust the sub to levels you are happy with. Then run the AEQ again as it will then adjust it's own internal settings to suit this new configuration. I must confess I am having no such problems with any disk format. It may be because I have been using a 3910 via Denon Link from the moment I got the amp so all decoding of CD and DVD-A is handled by the amp. With any luck I will have my firmware upgraded tomorrow to enable DL v3 and therefore SACD playback as well.

Beyond the above I'm not sure, I will try and investigate over the weekend.

Russell

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
easyshas said:
And another thing Russ,

Again this is speculation without investigation and I presume you mean with CD. But there is no LFE channel on CD so it passes the direct FL& FR channels only. It would appear you have created me some work for the weekend. :nono: These are not problems I am suffering but now I know they can exist, I want to find out why. All this and I was just about to be satisfied with the DL v3 and hooking up the high level inputs from my front main speakers to my MJ Ref 200 sub and getting that to work with AEQ. Ah well, such is knowledge.

Russell

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
Easyshas,

Have a look toward the end of the HDMI problems thread, there is some top notch advise there that may help further regarding the amps setup.

Russell

Gary_W

easyshas said:
And another thing Russ,

Am i doing something wrong again?

I wish I knew more about this melarky!

By the way for everyone out there worried about the WHiFi review give the 3806 a demo and let your ears decide.It sounds fantastic to me.
Could be that your speakers are set to large? If so, nothing will be routed to the sub during CD playback.

Gary

easyshas

Thanks for all the info guys, I have now found an option in the more advanced set up to allow lfe in pure direct and direct which I suppose is somewhat self defeating given the reasons why you would select this option in the first place.

My kef eggs need the lfe addition to fill in that required depth.

I have ran the auto setup again and it produced a slightly different result from last time. Now fronts are 120hz cossover rather than 110hz before.

With LFE crossover set at 80hz what happens to the info that lies between the two? I presume it is not lost.

Eddy boys advice on the tweak in settings for LFE + main etc has worked a treat and the sound is now universally appealing across all formats,Yippee!

It is also thanks to Edward that i have the latest firmware for the dvd3910 with Denon Link 3 plus other firmware patches.If anyone wants to borrow them just let me know.

Another query if you dont mind me banging on a bit more.In that lovely instruction manual that Denon provide, under DTS surround selection it states that DTS MOVIES should have LFE +0 BUT dts MUSIC SHOULD BE -10?Do i have to do this manually each time or does the EQ auto select this for you?

any thoughts?

Trending threads

Latest news

T+A expands E-Series with PA 1100E integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins unveils new PX wireless ANC headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku Premiere streaming device with 4K HDR hits UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published