Anyone getting the 4s earpiece problem?

Three6ty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Ever since owning the 4s I've been getting a problem with the earpiece when making a call. Quite often when I make a call the earpiece volume is dead from the start including not hearing the ringing tone. People on the other end pick up and can hear me but I can't hear them. I then end the call and make it again and all is fine. All incoming calls are always fine. I thought the recent software update may have cured it but it didn't. Anyone else get this issue? It's very annoying.
Cheers, Rich

Not sure if this is related or not but I have noticed when making calls sometimes the I don't hear the ringing tone at all but the call connects fine and I can hear the person when they answer. Not a major problem but it can be a bit weird waiting for the phone to ring then the person on the other end says hello.

This happened to me. I called Apple on Monday and they sent out a new phone that I got yesterday. So far so good but the problem was intermittent, so we'll see.

Yup...I have this same problem. Went to see Three, they told me to see Apple. Apple then ran diagnostics, and referred me back to Three for a new sim card. Problem was continuing, so Apple then said to carry out a restore. Since then things seem to be better. However, if I notice it happening again, Apple say they will replace the phone :thumbsup:

Ive had to live with the issue since day one. Its crap. Restore hasn't worked. Now my phone thinks I live in Sydney so I have to change the time zone manually!

Yeah same problem here since day one... Thought at first it may have been the 3 network which I have now realised is utter rubbish. I have to make most phone calls at least 3 or 4 times for it to finally ring. Annoying isn't the word lol. Three transferred me to apple who rang diagnostics and told me it was a faulty handset.. 2 options then followed. 1 take it apple store in Manchester , over 20 miles away and Xmas week or be without a phone for a week whilst I send it back and await a replacement... I asked why they didn't do a next day courier service and they said they do but it will cost ME ÂŁ25 for the service..... And I thought dick Turpin was dead lol

With all due respect, they have given you 2 very fair options there. Name another company who would do that, let alone give you the option of next day courier albeit at your own expense?

Most companies would say send it to us and then once we get round to looking at it we will test it and send a replacement!

Have to agree, another company would not be as good.

It also sounds very much like a hardware problem for which Apple normally just replace the handset, but I guess due to the scarcity of the 4S they can't do that so easily just yet.

Yup...I have this same problem. Went to see Three, they told me to see Apple. Apple then ran diagnostics, and referred me back to Three for a new sim card. Problem was continuing, so Apple then said to carry out a restore. Since then things seem to be better. However, if I notice it happening again, Apple say they will replace the phone :thumbsup:

Quick update - Apple yesterday replaced the phone. The replacement seems to be fault-free :thumbsup:

I'm taking mine back to Apple tomorrow as I cannot put up with it anymore. I'll keep you informed as to what happens. I can sense an argument...

i keep getting the speaker on when making a call,i have to manually turn it off most of the time as soon as it starts ringing the other person,the speaker icon is highlighted blue also,ive done the usual restore from new and backup but its still the same,as it was with the other phone before the replacement....

Took my iphone back to the Apple store and explained the problem. The young girl wanted to check the quality of the call regardless of my issue, she checked it by calling my phone from the store phone and after two HELLO's she quoted that it was crap.LOL. She then said she would replace it there and then without any question.:thumbsup:

New iphone issued although it could have been a refurb, I don't really care either way as it works. No issues and im happy. Good service for once ;)

same issue, the first time I made a call to a number in my phone book I.e. my house it would fail. then all calls after to that number would work. I would also hear myself in the earpiece and not the other line which was a nightmare.

I've getting a swap out via a courier so 24/48 hours to arrange but have needed to secure the ÂŁ500 on my credit card for them to send out the replacement which will be cancelled on receipt of the broken one. Saves me a 2 hour round trip to Reading.

I too have this problem.

I bought the phone sim free just before xmas and all was fine untill a few days ago.

When I make a call I get no sound at all from the ear piece. I have to hit the speaker button on then off after which the sound will come through the ear piece. I have to do the same with an in-coming call too.

I called apple today and they were very helpful. The lady on the phone said to do a backup first through itunes then restore the phone as 'new' and see if the problem persists.

This will eliminate any other software issue other than ios5. If the problem is still there they will replace the phone under warranty.

I'm going to see what happens when 5.1 comes out as I've read on other forums that the beta version of 5.1 has resolved this bug. If it doesn't fix it then I'll take it back. Would rather wait and see if it works than get a refurb and have to shell out for more screen protectors front and back.
At the moment when I make a call i click the loadspeaker icon on and off and it clears the problem. Still annoying though.

Ohh and the thread I linked to in post 2 is now 121 pages long with complaints of the same problem

*update*

Tried the 'restore as new' option and as expected this didn't work. Called Apple back with this info and as promised are sending me a new replacement. I must admit, excellent service....... no quibbles, my call back request was bang on time and have a direct number & email of the support agent I'm dealing with. :smashin:

I also got mine swapped and had been working flawlessly until the other day when I made a call to the wife but we couldn't hear each other. Might just have been a one off though so will see how it goes.

*update*

Tried the 'restore as new' option and as expected this didn't work. Called Apple back with this info and as promised are sending me a new replacement.

"I must admit, excellent service....... no quibbles
",

my call back request was bang on time and have a direct number & email of the support agent I'm dealing with. :smashin:

This made me chuckle. For so many reasons ;)

*update*

Got an email stating that they couldn't find any issue and returned the phone to me 'as factory new'. Turnes on the phone went through the setup process (as-new) and proceeded to call my home phone.............NO ****ING SOUND THROUGH EARPIECE :mad::mad::mad:

(sorry a bit angry)

I'm going to my local applestore and will make a call instore and make them give me one that works :rolleyes:

My 4s has this same problem. The call counter runs but no sound via the earpiece:(

Press the speaker icon once to activate the load speaker then again to turn if off and the earpiece works fine.

Doesn't happen all the time, say one in 10 calls but it is annoying.

Hopefully the OS update will sort it but Apple in Solihull have said they'd swap it over no bother:)

An old thread but I have just got a brand new iPhone 4S from 3 (decided I didn't want 5). No sound through earpiece. Plugged headset in and sound fine, put speaker on and sound fine, just nothing through earpiece.
I can just send it back to 3 or go to Apple? Pain in the @%& hassle. Hope they send a new one before I send this back but I doubt it. :mad:

You could try and restore it, but it sounds as though it's a hardware problem. Hope you get it sorted,

Last edited:
Just done a restore, set up as a new phone same problem. Back to my old 3G

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom