1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone getting poor rips with SonicStage?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Sep 21, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First, let me say my CD/DVD-ROM drives might be on the blink. But this I doubt, as whenever I use Audiograbber or EAC with LAME, I get perfect rips consistently. However, this isn't always the case with SS.

Sometimes, the most scratched disc in existence will rip without a single skip or jump. Yet, equally bizarrely, a perfect CD will have a track that SS just rips badly - clicks, pops, skips, etc. It's not happened often (a handful of tracks out of thousands), but it's never happened with other rippers.

Anyone experienced similar or know if SS's ripping coding is in some way inferior to others?

2. crazydane67

crazydane67
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I've experienced that, it seems to happen more often for CD's with a playing time close to the limit (i.e. over 70 - 75 mins) and usually the problem occurs on the last track. It's never happend before with other rippers.

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Yup. Damn shame SS is only Atrac encoder. I leave my MP3s for EAC+Lame ;)

4. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear you on the long running time thing - but this has also occurred mid CD!

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Same here ^

Shadow, you couldn't find a better pic of Keira? lol

6. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a rush job! Got any you'd prefer to see me to use? 'hint hint' :D

7. drmoze

drmoze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've ripped a lot of CDs in the 1:10 to 1:18 or so range. 2 or 3 of them came up with the last track 'unreadable' but it was read after a couple of retrys. (retries?) So far the ones I've listened to sound fine.

8. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    not me. google's your friend ;)

9. Ryzir

Ryzir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it takes longer but I use EAC to rip the tracks to wav then burn a image using nero, then mount the image and import using SS. Never had a problem and sometimes I make one image of two cd's (Nero will let you go up to like 90min).

10. Beethovenian

Beethovenian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience, SS is not worse than any mass market CD ripper. I've had some few bad rips (very few indeed), but I've also had them with Rio Music Manager, Windows Media Player and the Creative software. EAC is of course better than all, but it's much slower. I just use it with troubling CDs.

11. Toxic Twin

Toxic Twin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I downloaded SS last night from the sony website to give it a try and it seemed to work ok at ripping ( spped was comparable to itunes) and importing my and playing a few of my exsisting mp's execept 1 cd Sahara hotnights kiss and tell - which every time i tried to rip it played like the cd was jumping tried multiple times at various settings but other tha that ss was ok did the job not as user friendly as itunes but does the job like they say.
    If I stay with itunes and rip all my cd's again in MP3 format at a high bitrate and them import them into ss I will be effectively doubling up won't I as itunes will have a copy in it's directory as will SS yes?

12. KMH

KMH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried changing from Digital to MCI or whatever the option is?

13. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, how does one do this, and what's the difference? Cheers!

14. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its something to do with digital and analogue, its in the options somewhere.

15. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, we've established in this thread that good ole SS doesn't always rip too well. Which is fine if the problem tracks aren't all 'mixed' from the beginning of a CD to the end, as you can simply use an alternative ripper.

But what if you have a mixed CD (dance, classical, live ... whatever), and you get a poor rip on one or more tracks? You want to use ATRAC for the gaplessness, but you know that if you trust the rip to another program and then transcode in SS to ATRAC, you'll still be left with annoying gaps.

I've discovered a solution ...

1) If you haven't already, download and install Exact Audio Copy (EAC) plus the LAME MP3 encoder (both freeware). Use the EAC/LAME combo to rip the problem CD in its entirety AS ONE SINGLE TRACK, using MP3 at 320kbps.

2) Import this track into SS, right-click it in My Library, and choose 'Convert Format'. Selected your desired ATRAC bitrate and proceed to let SS transcode this album-length track. When it has, delete the MP3 from My Library (but NOT from your PC - you might need it again!), then import the newly transcoded ATRAC file from the Optimized Files folder into SS.

3) Using SS's 'Divide' function (to be found under 'Edit'), slice up this long ATRAC file into the correct number of tracks (you can use EAC's timings to determine where tracks start and finish). Re-tag them correctly (manually) in SS, then see for yourself that you have successfully retained gaplessness. You should also check, of course, that the track which SS wasn't ripping correctly has been properly ripped by EAC!

A bit long-winded, but hell, it works! :smashin:

16. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Er ... apologies time.

Sorry to Sasso, KMH and anyone else who rightly pointed out on here that by switching from Digital to MCI ripping in SS's options, you stand a better chance of avoiding poor rips. How the hell I missed your posts about this, I dunno! Just tried it, found it works and that it's a lot less bother than my method above.

Still, nice to know there's more than one option, I guess ...

17. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mmm ... seems that neither EAC/LAME (insane mode) nor SS in MCI mode can solve this one ...

I have a disc with two glitches on the last track - one at 7'20", the other at 13'20". Ripping using the EAC/LAME method I described above removes the glitch at 7'20", but makes the one at 13'20" even worse. Conversely, SS in MCI mode greatly lessens the 7'20" glitch, and completely eradicates the 13'20" one. what the fudge??

So, does anyone know of a program that can rip entire CDs as a single track, and which has proved 100% reliable (in their experience) of removing even the most stubborn glitches? I'd be hugely grateful for some pointers on this one.

Incidentally, a regular CD player seems to successfully correct both glitches during normal playback. It's just ripping that causes the problems!

18. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the CD clean?

Try using a different CD drive.

19. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cleaned and inspected on different drives.

While the CD plays faultlessly on my home hifi, playing directly from disc on my PC reveals the errors, whichever drive I select. Guess the error correction on these isn't as hot as it could be. Worth remembering that every CD made leaves the production line littered with literally tens of thousands of errors - see this snippet from Hyperion Records' website's 'CD facts' section:

Your CD is read by the laser beam and makes over 44,000 arithmetical calculations every second in at least two dimensions. It is adding up columns of numbers ('digits'). But many of the numbers are missing because THERE ARE TENS OF THOUSANDS OF ERRORS ON THE AVERAGE CD. Therefore the numbers are added up laterally as well as vertically, enabling the CD-player to fill in the missing numbers by cross-checking them. This is all quite normal and is called 'error correction'.

20. Sasso

Sasso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it really bugs you can't you just buy it from connect store? It is gapless if you get tracks from connect right?

21. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not gapless from Connect, in my experience. Not sure why?

I've reordered the CD and will get rid of the one I have. Could just be the disc ...