Anyone getting HD from the Cambs&Beds transmitter yet?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Pondering getting a new box, but Freeview site says I can't get it yet at my postcode, but just wondering if anyone on the Cambs & Beds transmitter is getting any HD...

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
If you mean Sandy Heath Freeview-HD has been transmitted since April including all it's relays, but at low power so finding someone with the service os not going to tell you very much.

Full power from June next year

Postcode Checker - Trade View

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Sandy Heath has completed DSO. So, yes anyone with a HD receiver and an aerial on Sandy, or one of its relays, should have HD now.

Use the Trade View of this site Digital UK - Postcode checker to get predictions for your address. (It may assume you're watching Crystal Palace as the most likely rather than Sandy Heath and BBC Look East News from Cambridge?)

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Dunno bout Sandy Heath - just says Cambs&Beds when I scan on my current box...

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Well I guess the only way to know for sure is to get a HD box and try it I guess!

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
What does the postcode predictor say (trade view) for the HD muxes --- green, amber, red or nothing at all (blank)?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
191pav.png

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
All green means should be no problem given a decent aeriel.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Lets hope the aerial, that cost me nearly £240 to be installed 5 years ago :eek: , is up to the job then! I'm not massively confident, since it won't give SD Freeview without a mast head amp plugged in!

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Lets hope the aerial, that cost me nearly £240 to be installed 5 years ago :eek: , is up to the job then! I'm not massively confident, since it won't give SD Freeview without a mast head amp plugged in!

If your £240 aerial installation has a masthead amp fitted then no it wont work unless this masthead amp is "plugged in" as if it is switched off it will not pass any signal from the aerial to the TV.

Where are you? I am near Huntingdon. No problems with freeview HD transmissions here.

Contrary to what grahamlthompson says Freeview HD transmissions from Sandy are at high power , but at 180kW erp is at 90% of final power (200kW erp ) when new antenna is activated.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
What I meant was the signal wasn't strong enough as a "plain" aerial, so the fitter had to fit a mast head amp.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
What I meant was the signal wasn't strong enough as a "plain" aerial, so the fitter had to fit a mast head amp.

This may have been the case 5 years ago but broadcast power for freeview from Sandy is now nearly 10 times what it was then. Whatever the amplifier has to be activated or no signal at all will be passed from the aerial to the TV.

As before where are you? I am surprised you needed a masthead amlifier for freeview even 5 years ago unless you are on the fringes of the Sandy service area like my rellies who live near Kings Lynn!

Last edited:

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Harlow - the site above says I'm 49km from the transmitter

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
The amplifier could be the cause of the problem. You may have too much signal. Try removing it or try a variable attenuator.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Whoaaah everyone...

The OP hasn't got a HD receiver.
The OP hasn't said he has any problems with his SD reception using the aerial as installed.

There's no reason to think (IMHO) that the existing aerial won't give perfectly acceptable HD reception... the only way to know is to test the signal using a HD receiver... (borrow one from a friend/collegue or get one on a 'sale or return' basis ... although at £20 the Tesco refurbs off ebay are cheap enough to experiment with - again IMO).

Harlow is a good distance from SDT and on the fringe of reception from there, CP and SUY so I'm not especially surprised that a high gain aerial and masthead amp might be required. Remember green 100/100 prediction figures relate to interference from other transmitters more than base signal strength.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Three miles south of King's Lynn, the HD mux (BBC-B) from Sandy Heath main transmitter receives well. The signal level guide on th HD-STB shows around 35% compared to 95%+ available on all the SD mux, however the quality is fair and the system is robust enough to overcome that. Aerial system is wideband+distribution amp 10+ years old.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Three miles south of King's Lynn, the HD mux (BBC-B) from Sandy Heath main transmitter receives well. The signal level guide on th HD-STB shows around 35% compared to 95%+ available on all the SD mux, however the quality is fair and the system is robust enough to overcome that. Aerial system is wideband+distribution amp 10+ years old.

Hi nvingo I have been posting for some time about my rellies who must only live a mile or 2 away from you . Some poster doubt the credulity of my posts!

They have been receiving FV from Sandy both pre and post DSO on a large 1980's group A with a masthead amp that was replaced more recently. FVHD received flawlessly on IDFVHDTV and no problems until recently where their Humax PVR will ll "prefer" some Belmont mpx's and needs manual tuning to coirrect. Also recent moves of mpx's to C51/52 does give "twitters and blockouts" in less than ideal weather conditions - but of course these MPX's are still on low power.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Whoaaah everyone...

The OP hasn't got a HD receiver.
The OP hasn't said he has any problems with his SD reception using the aerial as installed.

There's no reason to think (IMHO) that the existing aerial won't give perfectly acceptable HD reception... the only way to know is to test the signal using a HD receiver... (borrow one from a friend/collegue or get one on a 'sale or return' basis ... although at £20 the Tesco refurbs off ebay are cheap enough to experiment with - again IMO).

Harlow is a good distance from SDT and on the fringe of reception from there, CP and SUY so I'm not especially surprised that a high gain aerial and masthead amp might be required. Remember green 100/100 prediction figures relate to interference from other transmitters more than base signal strength.

Whoaah?? We just found out where the OP lives! I agree that pre DSO a high gain/masthead amp may of been necessary -but the OP complained about having to use a masthead amp:eek::confused:

If using the high gain aerial and amp now post (most of!) DSO he gets good reception of in particular PSB1 (BBC1 etc) he will undoubtedly get perfect reception of the HD channels given that AFAICS DVB-T2 tuners are inherently more sensitive than most DVB-T tuners.

BTW the only Tesco refurb HD Freeview unit that is worth getting is the STBHDIS2010 model. At £20 they are remarkable value for money given their capability and sophistication (See also posts by IBear and others on this sub forum.)

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
but the OP complained about having to use a masthead amp:eek::confused:

When did I complain about having to use a mast head amp? I merely pointed out, since I thought it was relative to signal strength, that I couldn't get a sufficiently strong enough signal for FV without having to use a MHA when my aerial was installed 5 years ago.

I don't see how I was complaining?

nvingo

Distinguished Member
Hi nvingo I have been posting for some time about my rellies who must only live a mile or 2 away from you .... their Humax PVR will ll "prefer" some Belmont mpx's and needs manual tuning to coirrect. Also recent moves of mpx's to C51/52 does give "twitters and blockouts" in less than ideal weather conditions - but of course these MPX's are still on low power.
I'm not sure when the current aerial was put up - storm replacement - but the rest of the system/cable/amp are maybe upto 30 years. Sandy Heath was chosen as being Anglia region and reception previously on an indoor aerial was better than Waltham/Belmont generally.
With digital again we can virtually choose when tuning which region to receive, some mux from Tacolnston now being viable in favourable conditions - even without rotating the aerial (this facility being available from a contoller at ground level).
I manually tune every receiver each broadcast change, except the main living room Samsung TV which totally lacks that facility :mad:
The cheapest box, a Dion, has a very flexible tuning system including the facility in the menu to forget a previously tune mux, and to store channels from multiple regions. I've not fully investigated it as it's only used on "mums TV" in the conservatory and she's technophobe so can't do with anything extraordinary - she can't even grasp that when watching HD via the STB if she changes channel with the TV handset it (annoyingly) switches back to the TV tuner and SD.

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
When did I complain about having to use a mast head amp? I merely pointed out, since I thought it was relative to signal strength, that I couldn't get a sufficiently strong enough signal for FV without having to use a MHA when my aerial was installed 5 years ago.

I don't see how I was complaining?

...since it won't give SD Freeview without a mast head amp plugged in!

The implication to me was that you therefore thought that the aerial was rubbish and should have worked without a MHA

Apologies but this is the way I read what you posted.

Last edited:

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
No, the implication is that the signal isn't (or wasn't at the time) strong enough to give an SD Freeview transmission without a masthead amp. I only mentioned it as I thought it to be pertinent to the situation

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Formovie Theater UST projector hits the UK
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series