Anyone getting 5G mobile phone signal - Thoughts?

Veni Vidi Vici

I've tried looking on other parts of the forum but can't see anything. Thought I'd post here as more people look on the general chat forum. What are peoples experiences with 5G at the moment on the few devices that support it? I keep hearing cover is poor but when I look on the different phone providers maps it appears 5g is well covered.

Last edited:

TayWax

Distinguished Member
I was in London yesterday and noticed my phone picked up a 5g signal. Can't say I noticed any real speed difference between that and normal 4g though to be honest

Delvey

Distinguished Member
It is like 3G and 4G, it still shares the fibre infrastructure. So if 1000 people are using 5G, then it will only be a fast as the fibre supplying the mobile mast.
I saw a video of someone getting excited about hitting 80mbps on 5G, which I regularly hit with 4G

Dave X

It is like 3G and 4G, it still shares the fibre infrastructure. So if 1000 people are using 5G, then it will only be a fast as the fibre supplying the mobile mast.
I saw a video of someone getting excited about hitting 80mbps on 5G, which I regularly hit with 4G

5G is still in its infancy and very few sites are fully integrated 5G and backhaul wise.

A fully complete 5G site can do this

B2237B14-4EB3-4E51-B6AE-C5B4D9629771.png

Dave X

I'm on Vodafone 5G in a low 5G coverage area. My data speeds on 5G isn't any better than 4G+.

The problem is how your phone indicates 5G, iirc there are four types of 4G connection that will make a phone show 5G when it isn't. I will try and find the article again.

edit

the article

Dave X

Some areas of Sheffield and Rotherham have good 5G coverage on the 3 network despite not being listed on 3’s own network coverage map. Mostly seems to be in industrial areas at the moment.
Got these speeds today near Rother Valley Country Park. View attachment 1403066

Thats quicker than I've seen on EE, I think this is the fastest I've had.

E1668E4E-8D12-4FBA-9208-568255249907.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom