• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anyone gaming on the 3007WFP?

BandofBrothers

Prominent Member
Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone here games on the Dell 3007WFP 30" monitor using the xbox 360?

Can you run 1080p on this monitor?

What connections does it has? I cant see any mention of component, even though the older 24" model has it:rolleyes: weird

DaveJ-UK

Standard Member
I know this is an old thread but as no one has replied...

I have this monitor and I must say it's absolutely superb. One of the best bits of kit I've ever invested in. The native res of 2560x1600 allows you to have 4 Windows open at 1280x720 which is just fantasic.

It only has a DVI input so it won't easily connect to an XBOX360 or other games console.

If you did get it working, 720p would take up less than a quarter of the screen! 1080p would take up about 2/3. It wouldn't be as good as a proper HDTV though.

PC games are designed for a PC monitor, so use a PC monitor.

Console games are designed for a TV, so use a TV.

DaveJ-UK

Standard Member
It has no scaler so no good for console.

Would that prevent you hacking your own cable together? (if you were that determined!)

It should also be possible to use a Video cards (or TV cards) video in, with the PC connected to the monitor.

boxrick

Prominent Member
lcds only ever display at there native resolution, therefore if you plug something into a monitor without a scaler, it cannot upscale it to its native res and you will simply get a black screen.

Also the 3007wfp only accepts DVI - D ( full digital input ) as an input so there is no way for a 360 to connect to it unless you have an elite or a ps3, and even then it wont output a resolution of 1280 x 800 or 2560 x 1600 therefore nothing will even appear.
The only way around this is to use the gefen upscaler which would take a component input or vga input and output it at a custom resolution of 1280 x 800 ( the gefen wont support 2560 x 1600 ) and plug it into the monitor. So the overall cost would probably be more than simply buying a cheap 32" LCD HDTV and it would probably look worse.

I was considering something like this for my 3007wfp, in the end i just bought an LCD hdtv since it was so much easier.

On the note of tv cards, there are no "cheap" component input tv cards only composite is available, therefore you would be running at standard definition and the picture quality would be terrible.

I hope that answers your questions.

sandys

Standard Member
Yup I sold my 2405 to go upto the 3007 until i discovered the iput and scaler issues :( fortunately i dicovered this before buying a 3007.

I now have no screen and can't make my mind up whether to buy a HDTV or another monitor.

I really wanted 2560x1600 for the PC though as screen real estate when not gaming is superb, stupid Dell :(

boxrick

Prominent Member
Yup I sold my 2405 to go upto the 3007 until i discovered the iput and scaler issues :( fortunately i dicovered this before buying a 3007.

I now have no screen and can't make my mind up whether to buy a HDTV or another monitor.

I really wanted 2560x1600 for the PC though as screen real estate when not gaming is superb, stupid Dell :(

Get both =D :thumbsup:

DragonOfSilver

Established Member
lcds only ever display at there native resolution, therefore if you plug something into a monitor without a scaler, it cannot upscale it to its native res and you will simply get a black screen.

Eh? I don' think I've yet seen an pc lcd that doesn't have a scaler, any one that takes VGA input has to scale it to fit screen. a DVI only input one may not have one, not sure, so not sure about that 30" dell, but every other one I've thus far seen can certainly scale VGA input.

Granted, they often have rather poor scalers, that you want to avoid trying to use.

sandys

Standard Member
The 30" doesn't have a scaler, you will get black screen and it tops out at 1280x800 on single link which is what you'd use for HDCP connected devices :( Not sure if the 3007-HC dfixes that?

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom