Anyone found the reviews have been off the mark?

• Thread starter Deleted member 65413
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 65413

After reading alot of reviews i seems to me that alot of the online sites and magazines have been of the mark when it comes to reviews. So far ive played WiiPlay, WiiSports, CoD3, Zelda and Rayman. All of them have been given scores ranging from 5 to 8 (or there abouts) but in my opinion they are way better.

You also go to the same sites and they are still playing WiiSports even though most of them marked it down calling it a show case for the controllers functions and nothing more.

Got EDGE yesterday and after they mark Zelda as an 8 they give it third place in the Game of the Year Awards. Personally i feel alot of them rushed the reviews out and never played through the games properly. Even Red Steel which was slatted generally by the press is getting pretty much rave reviews from gamers.

No. 5 is average, 8 is very good, and that's what the games range from.

Wii Play is a shambles. It's not worth the £5 extra over a remote on it's own.

And they are reviewing them impartially, not as fans (most of them) and something like Red Steel is supposed to be a lot of fun but from a reviewing perspective it also has many technically problems with it.

I thought red steel looked amazing but was put off by the bad reviews. Maybe I'll get it when it goes cheap. Not really got the time just now to play it.

Okay! :rolleyes:

8 is a decent score, but how can it then come third in Game of the Year Awards when there a an absolute ton of games that were marked above it.
Your fooling yourself as well if you think reviewers come from a neutral viewpoint, they are a biased as anyone else.

I disagree Wii Play is great, and well worth a fiver. Me and my GF have been playing against each other since we got the console on launch.

8 is a decent score, but how can it then come third in Game of the Year Awards when there a an absolute ton of games that were marked above it.

Zelda got 9 out of 10 in the Christmas issue didn't it mate? I'm assuming it's the January issue you have. Perhaps that is a review of the GC version?
Cheers

Neil

I think Wii Play is worth every bit of money! It is only £5! It is the best tutorial to get comfortable using the controller...And I think Nintendo has done the right thing by bundling Wii Sports and not Wii Play which they easily could have done....

I agree that most reviews are of the mark, but so is anything in those magazines....

Okay! :rolleyes:

Your fooling yourself as well if you think reviewers come from a neutral viewpoint, they are a biased as anyone else.

Excellent reasoning on the first point.

Secondly, I made a point of saying most. Can't say I use online reviews to gauge anything.

And I suspect you're more biased in your views than any reviewer pal. See your first response.

To be honest i dont take any notice of reviews at all. Sure i will read them but if a game takes my fancy then i will try it out for myself to see if its up my alley. Thats what i did with Red Steel and im so glad i took the plunge!
If any games get crap reviews and i buy them and find out that they really are crap then i will just sell them on or do a trade no problem!
Gotta say that out of all the games ive played this year (mainly 360 and a few wii) Zelda is my game of the year hands down. Its just hard to describe how much fun it is!
As for wii play not being worth £5.... well i think thats a little over the top! You get 9 mini games so thats around 50 pence a game :eek:
Sure some are throw aways but i can honestly say ive had my moneys worth out of it. Laser hockey especially and my GF loves the charge game!

I don't really look at it like that, it's a game they released which has very little merit if any. 50p a game? Well I wouldn't pay that if the games were gash, so it means nothing to me really.

And if it's getting marks of 5, the Nintendo guys will be quite happy with that tbh.

I don't tend to put much store by professional *cough* games reviews these days, beyond making a point of noting the broad consensus through sites such as gamerankings. Even then I take that with a pinch of salt.

I put a lot more stock in other 'gamers' opinions, and on whole have found them to be a much better indicator of wether or not I'd enjoy a particular game than the efforts of (And I use this term loosely), games journalists...

Dont forget though it really is only a tech demo of sorts to show you some of the different functions of the controller. Its not like they have packaged it up seperately and sold for a RRP of £29.99!
For people like me who wanted an additional controller its a great deal. Besides from wii sports wii play contains some simple games that my 6 year old lad can enjoy when he comes to my house!
I will admit that for what it is it doesnt deserve 8-9/10 some reviews have given it but on value for money id say it does!

Excellent reasoning on the first point.

Secondly, I made a point of saying most. Can't say I use online reviews to gauge anything.

And I suspect you're more biased in your views than any reviewer pal. See your first response.

Come on now, stop getting personal. I was simply asking the question as in my view the thought the reviews were quite harsh.

No, I do agree with what you are saying on price but I stand by what I said.

The BBC is technically (kind of) a free to air channel, but I can still confidently state that the Robin Hood series is pap.

No, I do agree with what you are saying on price but I stand by what I said.

The BBC is technically (kind of) a free to air channel, but I can still confidently state that the Robin Hood series is pap.

LMAO well i wont argue with that!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom