1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone for a cheap HT1000???

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kramer, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just posted this in the hardware special offers forum, but in case any of you don't frequent that area too often (& before they're all gone).....

£1999+ Vat. Full warranty etc...

Great PJ & a stonking buy at that price IMO.

Ask for Kevin or Lucy (& tell 'em Kramer sent ya ;) )

El cheapo HT1000s here!

:smoke:

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Wow, what a bargain. If I didn't have my Z10k it would be mine :)

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I wonder if I could fit two ..... :)

Gary.

4. fastedd

fastedd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spotted this at the weekend and have umm'd and aaah'd all weekend and finally gone for it.

I sold my 42" Tosh RPTV 3 weeks ago and was going to get a PJ but have read all these comments about waiting and really wanted a 16:9 HD2 but I cannot see them being much less than £4.5 K.

Well sod this waiting, £2350 for a HT1000 with less than 10hrs on it and the full 3yr NEC swap out warrenty. I'd rather be watching it now and ignore the new PJs coming out which we won't likely see in the UK until December, not September.

Very happy I finally made the plunge.

:)

PS. I plan to use a HCPC with 1:1 mapping, is it worth changing my ATI 9000 VGA out card for a 9500 or above with DVI? Big difference or can it wait?

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Good move. I'm sure you won't regret it.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    fastedd,

there is a slight improvement with the 9600 apparently, but if I was you, I'd get the pj up and running from either vga or dvi, and see what you think of the picture.

I'm using PowerDVD XP with mine, and I don't get any digital noise or artefacts like I did with WinDVD. It's a versy solid and detailed image. You may not feel the need to upgrade just yet (I don't, but will do when the price drops a fair bit - my VE only cost £28 IIRC).

Gary.

7. fastedd

fastedd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got Powerdvd xp on a fresh XP pro install, XP2000 cpu with 512 of 266DDR mem and a radeon 9000. When I demo'd an X1 I noticed that every 5min or so the picture would freeze for a fraction of a second (almost like a layer change effect). I think I need to turn off all the bloatware windows services as maybe its something thats robbing the cpu every 5min or so.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I had that with my PowerDVD XP too - about every 20mins or so in my case.

Turned out it was network related - once I'd uninstalled the network, it didn't do it again.

If you try using it within Zoomplayer, you'll probably find it doesn't do it. It's easy to install, so you can try it just to see if the pausing goes away. I had WinDVD on the system too, and that didn't do it either.

HTH

Gary.

9. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Popped down to NexNix last night with every intention of getting one of these, but unfortunately for me the projector still produces a significant rainbow problem.

The more I look into DLP projectors the more convinced I am that the industry claim that only a small percentage of people see rainbows just isn't true. I took two other people along for a second opinion, and both of them saw the rainbows straight away.

So if we accept that (for instance) only 5% of people see rainbows on a machine like the HT1000, that means the chance all three of us would see them is 8000 to 1.

Given that the NexNix guy could also see them, that raises the chance to 160,000 to 1.

I'm just can't believe we were that unlucky!

Then again, maybe it's just sour grapes because I couldn't take advantage of what would otherwise have been bargain of the year.

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The only thing I can add, though this won't necessarily be the same for everyone, is that different projectors produce the effect to differeing amounts and also over time the amount I see them has reduced to almost not at all.

I found the MT8 worst for rainbows for me between that and the HT1000. Initially with the HT1000 I saw none then with a second demo I saw them quite extensively. On my third and final demo it went back the other way and I hardly saw them at all. I also think it depends on how relaxed or otherwise I am.

With my new Sharp Z10k it's unfortunate if I see more than one rainbow in an entire movie, normally now though it is none at all (which makes me very happy :) )

11. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know myslef well enough to realise that "rainbow spotting" would quickly become an irritating obsession with me. It's like my new car - sometimes it rattles and squeaks and sometimes it doesn't, but I'm slightly tense the whole time just listening out for a problem. I think I need to chill-out...

So, given that DLP appears to be a non-starter for me. In the region of £2000 are we looking at a straight fight between the HS-10 and (slightly cheaper) AE-300, or have I overlooked a contender?

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    If it is to be LCD then, if fan noise is not an issue (positioning etc), I would say do not hesitate and get yourself a HS10. See if www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk have any left at that amazing price.

13. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers,

Haven't had a chance to see an HS-10 yet, so I think I'll try to get a quick demo at my local place and hope that robert whyte don't sell out in the mean time...

14. fastedd

fastedd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About this rainbows stuff. I sort of think that if you pick at it it will get worse :)

I borrowed an X1 for a weekend demo, myself and my 2 flatmates watched a load of films, I put 18hrs on the bulb over 2 days :cool:

No one got headaches and afterward non of them could recall seeing any rainbows, so engrossed were we. If I turned away really quickly I sometimes saw a slight flash of colour.

On the last night we stayed up late and watched Dog Soldiers. I was pretty tired and could hardly keep my eyes open. In the night time low colour scenes I could see flashes of colour as I blinked a lot but non of the proper rainbows i.e. multiple images in different colours. Other than that no problems. I've seen a LT240 in the showroom and had a 1hr demo of the Optoma H56 and never noticed a thing.

I think rainbows( for me) are like any other sort of optical illusion, If I concentrate I can sometimes see them, but as soon as I forget about them they disappear.

I think its very difficult to extrapolate to population probabilities with three people as Peter G's statistics illustrate that 100% of all people suffer from the problem (3 out of 3). :D

15. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    Conversely, of all the people whove seen my HT1000 (30odd), none have seen rainbows.

Strange isn't it??

Gary.

16. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the rainbows....

I wonder if the screen material has anything to do with making them appear more pronounced.

If memory serves Nexnix, have a high gain grey screen, 1.6 gain maybe, it certaining seemed to have a "sparkle" effect up close.

Peter G did you see the HT1000 on this high gain screen or a matt white 1:1 gain?

Gary, what sort of screen do you use?

Just curious

Vex.

ps I would mention that I could see lots of rainbows on an X1, few on a HT1000, none on an MT8, they did not bother me to any real extent. These were was in Nexnix and at a demo in Messiah's Home Theatre.

17. Peter G

Peter G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure of the exact screen spec. to be honest. It was the one in the light-controlled area with the sofa if that helps.

Something else I noticed was that the rainbow flashes were very bright. They were burnt into my retinas for some time afterwards, which meant that even after I left the building I would get rainbow flashes every time I blinked!

Incidentally, if anyone is interested the one bit of video that showed the effect more obviously than anything else was in Episode II where Obi-Wans ship was emerging from hyperspace. As the ship explodes into view on the black background of space it just looked like one big rainbow smear - yuck!

18. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad I've viewed a DLP for myself so that I know whether or not I see rainbows.

There always seems to be people who don' t see them and therefore try to scoff at their existence.

I was overwhelmed with rainbows from an Optima H50 showing Moulin Rouge in a light controlled room at a sevenoaks branch. My girlfriend complained of headaches even though she had never heard of DLP. I had to convince her that LCD didn't have that effect before we could buy one.

It's a personal thing. It's like not believing someone is colorblind just because you and your mates aren't...

Cheers,
    Cal.

19. tomvbugg

tomvbugg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin: For Kramer
    Thank you for puttin this very good offer here on the forum.
    This was the price I was lookin for a nec ht1000. I wanted to buy this projector already before but the price was too high for me.
    I just bought one from nexnix with this killer price.... :smoke:
    Can't wait to get him in my home and compare him with my piano plus avanti 3200. Hopefully there is a huge difference....

Friendly regards

Tom Van Buggenhout

20. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Wow, how many demo HT1000's have they got :confused: 3 gone already.

21. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i think they have 2 screnes in the sofa bit .. and a white wall area

http://www.nexnix.co.uk/demoroom/demoroom.htm

Projection Screens : Draper Baronet 92" Electric Screen
    Stewart Electric 106" FireHawk Screen
    NexNix Electric 90" Home Cinema Screen

id assume the sparkly one is the firehawk

22. mystex

mystex
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'll second that from tomvbugg, thanks for the tip Kramer:) , I'd have never found it. Ordered one this morning, should be with me tomorrow. 6 hours on the clock apparently, was gonna wait for the NEC HT1100, but not now!

23. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK they've one or two left....

Going quick though - anyone interested better get in there quick.

No problem Tom - best of luck with it ;)

24. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent stuff - one fine PJ at a bloody good price :eek: I think all new "Nexnix special" HT1000 owners will be pleasantly surprised ;)

I unfortunately seem to be at the upper end of the DLP "rainbow" sensitivity/susceptibility scale. Hoping for an extended viewing of a HT1000 (in my own HC) to see exactly how I cope/adapt.

Should be able to post with some impressions etc... some time next week.

:hiya:

25. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    vexorg,

rainbows do seem more noticeable with brighter screens/projectors.

I can remember one guy who used a polerising filter on his X1 and that reduced them to next to nothing for him. I've also read similar findings over at avsforum too.

Gary.

26. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Expecting it to be a permanenet upgrade Kramer???

27. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope - I'll be upgrading to at least a 1280x720 panel PJ (I know, actually going down in res from the HS10 :().

Apart from black level rendition (which ain't that bad considering, with a CC40R), not much to complain about with the HS10.

Z10k, sounds interesting - you wouldn't send it over to me for a few weeks would you?

I promise I'd send it back.

NOT

:smashin:

28. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Must be at 4, as I've just picked one up from NEXNIX:D
    (Had to suffer an hrs traffic jam on the M25 btwn 8 & 9 :mad: on the way back)

I've been contemplating buying another projector for a while having previously owned a Seleco 150 CRT.

I was impressed with the image quality from the NEC HT1000 at the demo today that I had to buy one, and can't wait to set it up at home.

I have no hesitation in recommending this projector (Rainbow effect ?? What Rainbow effect????? :confused: )

Thank you Kramer for the heads up on this BARGAIN :smashin:
    & thank you to the guys at NexNix for the demo

Del:smoke:

29. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took a bit longer than I'd hoped, but details of my review are located in this thread.

Nexnix still have some left AFAIK.

:smoke:

30. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed Nexnix have one advertised here - ex-demo, 22 hours, as new.

So who's gonna be the lucky buyer ;)