1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone fitted a Projector shelf to Wall with glue ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DJW, Dec 10, 2003.

1. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not as daft a question as it may 1st seem ;)

I have just had a cellar tanked to make a cinema room (still to see final bill :eek: ), which has included the vaulted ceiling. For this reason I cannot screw anything into the walls / ceiling.

I want to mount my recently aquired Panny AE100 on a shelf at the rear of the room. The builders have told me to use "GRIPFIX" or equivalent as it should easliy hold the weight of the projector.

Now I can remember the adverts with a fat bloke sat on a chair glued to the wall, but never believed it . Anyone out there managed this in a basement (shelf not the chair :smoke: )

Last resort is to put the Panny on a unit.

Thanks in advance guys (& gals)

Dave

2. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hmmmmmm, not sure I'd do it. :(

3. rattlesnake

rattlesnake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see any problem with it. You would have to bond a board (wooden) to the wall first creating a large surface area. You could then screw your shelf to the bonded board. If you trimmed the board correctly it could look half decent.

The chassis of the Lotus elise is bonded with glue!

Andy

4. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good thinking Andy.....spread the load & all that.

Take the other point though.......think I could load the shelf with bricks for a few days ....worst case I have some hardcore ;)

5. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think if I was doing it, I would put a strut going from the front of the shelf to a point underneath the shelf (or the floor!) in order to reduce leverage on the glued joint.

6. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Make sure you buy good glue too. A lot of the 'no-more-nails' type stuff if absolutely rubbish and not even strong enough to hold a bloody skirting board in place. Go for expensive high-grip stuff.

Also, remember that this stuff does NOT stick to paint. Rub the wall down properly first and be sure to brush / vac all the plaster dust off the wall before gluing. I think a wooden plate glued to the wall with the mount attached to that is a good idea - just make sure that plate is pressed firmly to the wall for a good 12 hours after gluing. Don't rely on the initial grab of the glue to hold it properly while it sets.