Anyone fitted 3D wall panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdmbfossa

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Looking at fitting some 3D wall panels on one wall of a room in our house just as a feature wall. There seems to be 3 kinds of manufacture, polystyrene (the cheapest option, appears easy to install but not sure about durability), plant fibre (middle option, again appears easy to install but again not sure about durability), plaster (most expensive, probably not too difficult to install, but would need to be well adhered due to heavy weight of panels, should be durable). The plan is to fit a 1.0 - 1.5 metre high strip horizontally across the room on the far wall. Any advice from anyone who has fitted or purchased these would be much appreciated.
luna-3d-wall-panels.jpg
$_12.JPG

Looks good, know nothing about it, but has the fancy hotel lobby feel to it.

Yes, I don't have much paintings and I would like the room to look uncluttered but still have a focal point. I think the finished look will be much the same regardless of the tile chosen, but I'm a bit worried that the polystyrene or fibre tiles will be easily damaged if they get a slight knock. If money was no object then I would probably go with the tiles on the top picture as it's my favourite design, but they are pretty expensive at around £70 - £90 per square metre plus fitting costs (and possibly delivery costs as they are around 5Kg per tile). The fibre ones are around £25 - £30 per square metre and would also cost a bit less to fit, the polystyrene ones are less than £10 per square metre. I would need about 6-8 square metres for the area I am looking to do.

Not fitted them, but have hung heavier things on walls with adhesive so I would not be concerned about that. Not sure what your after really, yes poly is delicate but so is plaster really....I think the real problem is that you want to create a rock wall in your living room.....:laugh:

I was originally going to install some in my shop a couple of years back (went for textured paper in the end).

No More Nails should do the trick - it's held up heavy 18mm MDF panels in my living area for the last 7 years. :smashin:

I have fitted them in my front room...they are pretty easy to fit as thick MDF but getting a seamless join is a little tricky

Attachments

• 1397636753960.jpg
    1397636753960.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 723
Looks pretty good, although for the area you're using them I'm not sure you'll get much benefit over textured wallpaper. Let us know what you think.

Looks really good.

Is be tempted to score the wall up nicely before fitting otherwise you're relying on the bond between paint and skim coat.

I'd test a bit first too. Solvent based gripfill might attack the panel.

I was thinking about the whole wall, but we have ceiling cornice and skirting boards, I think because of the depth of the 3D panels it would give a better effect than textured paper.

windymillers, do you have the large mdf sheets rather than the smaller tiles?

Last edited:
Looks pretty good, although for the area you're using them I'm not sure you'll get much benefit over textured wallpaper. Let us know what you think.

Might look different with LED's on the rear on the TV.

I was also thinking of puting a strip of plasterboard (the same size as the whole area of the tiles) sandwiched between the wall and the 3D panels, just screw this plasterboard into the posts with drywall screws. I could then use gripfill adhesive to fix the panels to this plasterboard. This way if I don't like it or want to remove it in the future it should just be a matter of taking it down and filling the screw holes and the original wall should be fine, as I would think removing the panels would make quite a mess of the plasterboard.

Its just MDF... Mine is fitted on the wall with batons and a nail gun.

It's got much more depth than textured wallpaper and it's down lit with LEDs

Its a good effect, but I worry it is one that will date and then you will be left with the task of trying to get the darn things off...

I have visions of pine cladding, artex ceilings and cork ceiling tiles :eek:

I was also thinking of puting a strip of plasterboard (the same size as the whole area of the tiles) sandwiched between the wall and the 3D panels, just screw this plasterboard into the posts with drywall screws. I could then use gripfill adhesive to fix the panels to this plasterboard. This way if I don't like it or want to remove it in the future it should just be a matter of taking it down and filling the screw holes and the original wall should be fine, as I would think removing the panels would make quite a mess of the plasterboard.

Seems a better idea

Its a good effect, but I worry it is one that will date and then you will be left with the task of trying to get the darn things off...

I have visions of pine cladding, artex ceilings and cork ceiling tiles :eek:

How can you leave Woodchip out :eek:

I feel the type where you see the individual tiles doesn't look as good.

You bet your life the panels would slip slightly, I'd draw a level line above the bottom row of cuts and start above there.

I might do a wall when I come to do my living room again.

I think you can fill the joints with filler or caulk before you paint them so it looks like all one piece. You could pin a baton on the wall to help alignment and prevent slippage just like ceramic tiling.

A flowing wall looks much nicer, I wouldn't bother with the titles unless a part of a larger design.
Looks very primary school otherwise IMO.

A flowing wall looks much nicer, I wouldn't bother with the titles unless a part of a larger design.
Looks very primary school otherwise IMO.

Sorry, what do you mean by a flowing wall?

Can't see the joins, looks like one 'flowing' piece.

OK, both photos at the top of the thread are done with tiles, top one is plaster tiles, bottom one is plant fibre. I suppose how good the end result is and how much it looks like one piece will depend on how well it's fitted, filled and painted.

No idea why I put 'baton' earlier.

I think some types are designed to look like individual tiles

I have one feature wall in the lounge that is 3d. I wanted to go with the deep ripples up but went for this in the end. Just normal bathroom tiles.

Attachments

• 1397666915573.jpg
    1397666915573.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 681
  • 1397666948758.jpg
    1397666948758.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 670
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel