Question Anyone familiar with Ubiquiti APs?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by space--coyote, Apr 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I'm planning an upgrade to the wireless access point on the first floor and I've read a lot about the Ubiquiti APs. They sound like the perfect solution.

The thing I'm not sure about is the controller. From everything I've read I have to install the controller myself.

Just wondered if there is a cloud option instead?

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,645
    For such a small deployment, I doubt you'd want the complexities of a "controller" based solution (unless "controller" is a name for a config tool.) I think you'd be better advised to seek a simpler stand alone AP that you can configure using it's own web UI (as one does for a SOHO router.) There's plenty to choose from.

A US web site called SmallNetBuilder does a better job than most of reviewing this kind of equipment. Just bear in mind it's USA based and make the necessary "adjustments" if you're in the UK/EU/etc (for example, permitted channels, transmit power, dollars for pounds, availability, etc.)

3. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks for the response mate.

The reason I've focused on the Ubiquiti AP is its apparent simplicity. But it doesn't come with an onboard config tool. I just need an AP that will take a Gb connection and broadcast a network on a different SSID on the first floor. Most of the solutions I've come across appear to be range extender solutions and hook up to the main network over wireless and then repeat the same SSID on the same channel. And that seems to cause all sorts of problems with devices not sure which AP to connect to.

I will spend some time on SmallNetBuilder and see where I end up.

Thanks again

4. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +502
    Pretty much any AP will take a ethernet or gigabit connection to extend the network. Suggest you take a look at offerings from Netgear and TP Link. It's rare to get one that only extends by connecting to the existing wifi as that's a terrible way of doing it.

5. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I thought exactly the same, in fact I bought the TP-Link RE580D on the strength of the review here, but that was wireless range extension only and it needed rebooting daily.

Finding a wired AC access point is proving hard than expected.

6. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I've used lots of Ubiquiti Nano Stations and Pico Stations in the past and they were simple to configure, robust, and reliable.

If you are thinking of using the Ubiquiti 'managed' APs then you do use a software confit tool, but once configured they run stand-alone so no need to keep the config tool/controller software running.

If you don't need/want the complexity of a managed wifi system then you could use APs from Draytek (which can run managed with the addition of a Draytek Vigor 2860 router) or go for APs from Solwise (the IP-Com range are particularly cost effective).

7. space--coyote

space--coyote

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    That's good to know, thanks. I've been doing my own research along the way and found broadbandbuyer.co.uk who sell the Ubiquiti APs and offer a cloud-hosted controller. So I've gone for it with them.

It comes pre-configured, but I also get to manage it from the cloud too.

Thanks for all of your responses, appreciate your time.