1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone familiar with the Daewoo DP42?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by allanco, Oct 22, 2004.

1. allanco

allanco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My first post and I am flumoxed by all of the different models of plasma tv's on the market at the mo, but this forum seems to know what its on about so here goes and I'm on an extremely tight budget...
    I appreciate that this is not going to be anywhere near the same as a Panasonic. but RicherSounds has currently got these for £1299.
    I'm not (obviously!) an AV hardcore fan but would like to view my Panasonic DVD/HD and Telewest cable on something a lot better on my current 28" crt which I won't even name (lets just say it came from Asda a couple of years ago!).
    Obviously its the price that tempts me, especially as I nearly purchased a JVC LT26C31 LCD a couple of weeks ago for the same price.
    Any thoughts negative and positive would be welcome including those that may point me to a better model, I might just be able to go to £1500 tops (just don't tell my wife).
    Cheers

2. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Up to you to take a look for yourself, but personally I wouldn't go there.

I know a few people can guess what I'll say here ;-). This has already caused a little controversy, but if you take a look at this: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158588, there is only one panel on that list that can be had for less that £1500 - and that's the LG 42PX11. You'll need to shop around to get a deal that low though... try http://www.247electrical.co.uk.

3. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grahamtiggs...... Is the LG PX11 really that good. I had a brief look at it in my local JL and it was a nice looking plasma but I didn't have time to play with the picture. They had a Dolby Digital Demo DVD playing through RGB and I did notice quite a lot of solarization. Is this a common feature with this plasma or was it a crap disc do you think?
    I'm almost set on the Panny PW6 but the LG has most of the common connections as standard and at a snip over £1500 it 'looks' like a complete bargain!
    Any thoughts?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes - but then I do own one!

Solarisation is (to various degrees) a common feature of all digital display technology - from broadcast and DVD through to LCD and Plasma displays (or even CRTs with digital image enhancements).

For DVDs, I have a Sony player feeding a progressive signal via component connection, and there is no particular solarisation problem.

My Sky digibox is connected via AV1-RGB, and whilst mostly excellent, does occassionally show some problems. This can be reduced by turning off the XD engine. (note that broadcast TV often has quite low bitrates, and will be prone to having artefacts - which the XD engine highlights quite ably!!).

I'm not familiar with the disc that was used for the demo, but there are quite a few possibilities in the disc, player, connections and settings used that could explain / cause image problems.

Others will no doubt disagree with me, but I'm quite convinced that the LG is a 'complete' bargain.

6. allanco

allanco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the thoughts so far guy's, especially Hornydragon, I think I'll take my time and save up a few more pennies. :)

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    My pleasure mate........ If you need anymore info or advice we'll be here.....

8. Uzey

Uzey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah! You should do AV for a living horny!

9. mr ooops

mr ooops

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    We had one of these set up in the supermarket i work in when they retailed for 2k, the picture was average at best even at 1300 id be hard pressed to recommend it ( i had it set up with a yop quality dvd player and expensive cables too.)

Richer sounds ive always found helpful with letting you view demos etc, so go along and take a test drive, if 1300 is your max budget and you are happy with picture quality then go for it, personaly id save a little more and get the panny.