Anyone experiencing this with your CRT and HTPC?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ScottMcDonald, Mar 3, 2005.

1. ScottMcDonald

ScottMcDonald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Runco 940 (barco 708 clone) is doing some strange things....well...not sure if it's the projector or my HTPC. My sytem is a P4 3.4 Mhz, ATI AIW 9600XT, 512 Corsair Deluxe Ram, 160 Gig Seagate running through a 15' VGA to 5 BNC cable to my Runco. There are times when my projection seems softer or less focused....other times it is incredible. These aren't really dramatic changes but they are visible to me. I know that a projector needs some warm-up time.....but sometimes after watching a movie and I exit TheaterTek my desktop seems very soft...like I need to touch up the convergence. Other times it is right on....looks fabulous. My settings are 1280 x 720, using FFDShow....normal settings...some denoise, sharpen, and resize.

So what do you think? Projector? software? Graphics Card? Cable? Noise or interference from electrical?

Thanks,
    Scott McDonald

By the way, I just did a complete re-installation of the CRT. Alignment, Focus, convergence, etc. Spent quite a few hours getting it just right...but am still seeing this weird phenominon....

2. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hi Scott,

Try lowering your resolution, it seams way too high. I've read somewhere Roland from B4 recommending no more than 800x600 on a 7** series projector.

In the days when i used to use TT, I set TT's settings to, for pal 720x576 and for ntsc 720x480 with great results. :D

There was a long long tread about a year and half ago over the pond on avs re using these settings, have a search.

It costs nothing to try.

surrey lad ;)

3. ScottMcDonald

ScottMcDonald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'll give it a try.....

Thanks,
    Scott McDonald

4. surrey lad

surrey lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Let me know how you get on.

Take care.

5. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Blimey i'm running my 8incher (Barco 808s) at this resolution (it's it's "native" resolution) i agree with Surrey Lad lower your resolution & your PJ will thank you for it :rotfl:
    Tim.

6. ScottMcDonald

ScottMcDonald
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did lower my resolution to 800 x 600 and you are all correct! The desktop is much clearer now. Not so soft as it was with 1280 x 720. I'm tempted to try a couple of other resolutions like 1024 x 576....someone on this board was using it for their Barco 708.

Thanks to all for the suggestion. 800 x 600 at 72hz is much nicer than the 1280 x 720 at 60hz!!!

Scott McDonald
    :thumbsup: