Anyone ever installed their own dish?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jimok78, Jun 5, 2008.

Tags:
  1. jimok78

jimok78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I am really tempted buy Freesat but dont currently have a satellite dish on my house. I believe installation of the dish is £80. But on ebay you can get a dish for about £20 with all the stuff you need.

So my question is, has anyone ever installed their own dish? I have a guy in work with me whos done it and said it wasnt too much trouble (hes also offered me a signal meter to assist in positioning). Anyone have any comments as to experiences in this area. Good or bad, all welcome! :thumbsup:

2. ase001

ase001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Get Sky's freesat for £75, when the installer comes slip him £10 to put a dual output LNB on the dish and leave some cable. Then plumb the BBC Freesat into the second output of the LNB. Then you get both, multi-room. P.S you must cancel your subscription after your 3 month free trial to sky. Then you just get the Sky freesat for free.

Been mentioned before on another thread, so not my idea.

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    It's not too difficult to install a dish, but the really crucial thing is to get the positioning absolutely right, with a signal meter. It's quite easy to get a fix on the wrong satellite by mistake, so the correct type of meter that will identify which satellite you are looking at, is a very good idea ! The good thing is though that Sky @28.2 deg East gives out a very powerful signal, so it's reasonably easy to capture, if you are looking in the right direction. Don't forget you need a clear line-of-sight with absolutely no obstructions, such as trees etc.

4. jimok78

jimok78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, a guy in work with me has a signal metre and next doors dish is right next to where mine will be going (I live in a semi). So i can get a pretty good idea of where mine will be going!

5. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,443
    Yes it's quite simple, if you go to Satcures site it even tells you how to do it.
    Tips; Make sure the Bracket is well bolted to the house, ensure cable terminations are good with no stray screening wires, After a rough positioning of the dish move it very slowly in each direction (remember the Satelitie is 23,000 miles away!) so small movements on the ground is a long way at that distance.

My first attempt took me about 20 minutes to mout the dish & another 10 minutes or so to line it up. The meter will make life easier, I used an old digibox & portable TV on the lawn but it worked very well :thumbsup:

6. Woosley

Woosley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's really easy, and it's quite satisfying to save the money by DIY installation. An extra benefit is that you can pick your components and start to customise.
    Our house has a strict "no Murdoch" policy, so it was very galling to have a good 1080 LCD panel and not be able to get broadcast HD, but I'm now enjoying the 'pioneer' feel of Freesat.
    I had a look around the websites and eventually got a cheap 80cm dish, a quad LNB, some cable, and a cheap signal meter. I used an old compass and looked at where all the local sky dishes were pointing and just set mine up on top of the brick BBQ. The signal meter 'beeped' on cue, and I was in business! My house is a tall townhouse and I want the unsightly thing up on the roof out of sight, so I will do that later. I have also seen that I can motorise the dish and check out the news in another 20 languages I don't speak, but, why not! I just need to Google and find out about Disecq and whether my Foxsat unit can drive a motor.
    Have a go - and good luck!

7. Robbie34

Robbie34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It's not that difficult appart from balancing on a ladder if the dish has to go fairly high.

I installed my motorised dish about fourteen years ago. I was quoted £600 for the installation so borrowed some staging and did it myself over a week-end.

For a fixed dish installation it's a doddle. You don't have to be quite so accurate with the mount; if it's not absolutely perpendicular you can make allowances for it.

8. MX6Martin

MX6Martin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No problem for an average DIY'er.
    Did mine myself buying from UK Satellite Supplies (eBay) and following info sent by them on an email link and the useful info on the SatCure technical web page. Bolted up the dish pointed it in the right direction using this site:

http://www.dishpointer.com/

Angle of dangle (elevation) as next doors and as marked on the bracket. Connected up the box and bingo 50% strength, slowly moved it left/right with the misses shouting signal strength out the window at me to optimise and then the same with the up/down adjustment. Hit 90% signal strength as a max which gives 100% signal quality on by Bush HD box and a 100% smug satisfaction grin having done it DIY with no signal meter.

Main tip - use nice long anchor bolts for the bracket remembering that it has to survive gales and birds perching without moving about.

9. Chris Lewis

Chris Lewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it were me, and depending on my relationship with my neighbour i would probably just ask them if i could replace the LNB on their dish with a quad (or octo if they already have a quad) and just run cables from there.

No need for another unsightly dish if they really will be that close.

Chris

p.s. i signed up just to say that :)

Chris
    No longer a lurker:hiya:

10. skytecbvmo

skytecbvmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Not a good idea cross mains could end up with 450 volts running and a few bangs to boot. :smashin:

11. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Uh ? How so?

12. Chris Lewis

Chris Lewis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    He has a point. If either receiver (or would it need to be both) were to develop an earth fault and the two houses were on different phases of the supply then there is the possibility of over 400 volts being present i suppose.

Ok i'll shut up and go away :) wasnt worth signin up now was it lol

Chris

13. digitl

digitl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    And drill into the brick, not the mortar.

14. jimok78

jimok78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. munkeectr

munkeectr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What part of the country are you in - If North of Manchester get a zone 2 dish (slightly bigger, again available on ebay) I live in Stoke and brought a zone 2 dish, didnt want it losing the picture in bad weather... it was simple to set up..

The worse part and its still uncompleted is hammering the cable clips into the wall - its a bloody nightmare...