Anyone ever downgraded their alloys ?

tausifs

Prominent Member
Reaction score
... or upgraded theire alloys then regretted it ? If so, why ?

I have an Audi A6 S-line Le Mans which came with 19" rims. I have had it for 3 yrs.

I wondered if downgrading to 18" or even 17" ones would make it more agile and easier to turn the wheels and also possibly make the ride less firm ? I know being S-line, it has a lowered suspension which is probably a greater factor in terms of ride firmness.

you can upgrade or downgrade on any car the alloys

if you want more clearance between your arch and rims then goto 18 but go to 17 it probly look proper daft

also the tyre profile can effect the firm of the ride aswell

my mate went from 16 to 18 on is bmw and lowest profile tyres and you can feel nearly every bump in the road lol but he not bothered as he likes the look of the car with the 18s on

The 19" look good on my car but I even think the 18" look better on other A6 S -lines, the car looks slightly closer to the ground.

But I am interested to know if the handling would be better with 18" and if I'd feel fewer bumps ?

Its a fairly big hassle to change rims and also pay for a new set of tyres, though I think the 19" rims should sell. And at the end of it all it might not be that different / may regret it.

Maybe I could get a set of winter rims, but they might look ugly for year round use.

Downgrading from 19" to 18", or even 17", is a popular thing with the Alpina BMW crowd.
Most of them found out by fitting smaller wheels for winter use, and they liked what they found.
They all say better ride, many say better handling.
I owned an 18" S-line Audi for three years, a colleague took delivery of one just three weeks ago.
The ride is bad enough with 18s, I can't imagine the horror you're suffering with 19s.
You'd probably class the horrendous 18" ride as luxurious.:D

Reading the Mondeo forum some have changed the 18" alloys for 17 or 16" ones to get a better ride.

I've been tempted to go from 19 to 18" on my Boxster. Partly for the improved ride, and partly so that I can buy snow tyres. No spare cash at the moment, so will think again next year. Also, the 19" I have on now are my favourite Porsche design wheels (Carrera S) for looks. 17" won't fit over my calipers.

Reading the Mondeo forum some have changed the 18" alloys for 17 or 16" ones to get a better ride.

It would have to be a big improvement to go as far down as 16s on a Mondeo.
Massive car, bigger than a 5-series.
16s just don't suit it, my BILs taxi Mondeo looks daft.
16s don't look quite so bad (IMO) on my 3-series.
It's been lowered to suit though.

OP if your going to change the size of the alloys don't forget to inform your insurance company

OP if your going to change the size of the alloys don't forget to inform your insurance company

Even if its changed to Audi made alloys which are smaller than the existing ones ?

While on the subject, would I need to tell them if I upgraded the Bluetooth hardware to A2DP compatible one as well ?

Even if its changed to Audi made alloys which are smaller than the existing ones ?

if it's changed from factory fittings then yes

Doesn't mean you premium would increase but you do need to let them know as it's a modification

Wouldn't worry about the Bluetooth

my mate picked up some nice m sport bmw black with chrome rim all tyred up with lot of thread and no damage to any of the alloys for £300 18s

he only got £60 for is old 16 standard wheels even with new tyres on them lol

16s just don't suit it, my BILs taxi Mondeo looks daft.
I think they look alright but then I've got them on my [-]tank[/-] estate so would think so.

he only got £60 for is old 16 standard wheels even with new tyres on them lol

He's mental selling them for that.:thumbsdow
Could double or treble that.
Sell the tyres seperately, sell the wheels to someone looking for a spare set for winter tyres.

if it's changed from factory fittings then yes

Doesn't mean you premium would increase but you do need to let them know as it's a modification

Wouldn't worry about the Bluetooth

What about putting winter tyres onto existing alloys, should they be told about that ? Prob not as its not a modification.

What about putting winter tyres onto existing alloys, should they be told about that ? Prob not as its not a modification.

Grey area that one, massive can of worms.
Some people report their insurers increasing premiums.
Their thinking being that you may drive around more if you have winter tyres on, rather than leaving the car at home.

In this situation contact your insurance company to discuss before committing

I've had an A6 s-line with 18" wheels and now have a Le Mans with 19". I can't tell the difference in the ride between the 2 to be honest and both were OK for me. And I personally think the 19" look better.

I've had an A6 s-line with 18" wheels and now have a Le Mans with 19". I can't tell the difference in the ride between the 2 to be honest and both were OK for me. And I personally think the 19" look better.

Interesting, thanks v much for posting, I am lucky that someone in your position happened to be reading this thread and posted . This is very useful to know re ride as this is my big question !

I know the ride in the 19" is not aweful, its actually better than I had expected and the suspension is not as firm as I had dreaded, maybe I am just getting a bit picky in my older age.

But is there any difference in how your A6 handles, with smaller 18" rims ? Is it quattro ?

Are you planning or do you have winter tyres already.

Do you have a new shape A6 (C7) now ? If you do, then that arguably complicates the comparison. If you have a new A6 , did you know it has A2DP Bluetooth so you can stream music from a phone wirelessly ?:thumbsup:

Last edited:
No it's a 2010 facelift model with the CR 2.0 TDi engine. Oh and a manual. The CR engine in this car I have now is smoother than the older 2.0 litre PD engine in my previous one, which was a multitronic auto, which always had a 'lumpy' feel to it. Maybe it's this that makes the whole ride appear similar on 19" wheels - but like I say the difference in ride and handling is pretty much the same to me. I understand that all Audi s-lines get criticised for their ride, but I find mine absolutely fine compared to other cars I've had.

Tyre sidewalls acts as suspension, more sidewall means better ride, you don't see Rolls Royce with 35 profile tyres. Oh well maybe on a MTV Rap video but you know what I mean.

Car companies often soften suspension when facelifitng models so although the same wheel combo is available on both, the ride can be much different.

My advice for the OP would be stick to Audi OE alloys, look at SE models and with say 50 profile tyres and see about trying some out.

Tyre sidewalls acts as suspension, more sidewall means better ride, you don't see Rolls Royce with 35 profile tyres. Oh well maybe on a MTV Rap video but you know what I mean.

Car companies often soften suspension when facelifitng models so although the same wheel combo is available on both, the ride can be much different.

My advice for the OP would be stick to Audi OE alloys, look at SE models and with say 50 profile tyres and see about trying some out.

But runflat tyres as I understood it, have a firmer ride and these have thicker side walls , don't they ?

They have strengthened sidewalls yes, hence suspension revisions after customer backlash and press critics.

I don't have experience with the A6 but I assume you don't get a full spare and you probably have rf as standard and a can of foam but this won't be standard across the range will it?

They have strengthened sidewalls yes, hence suspension revisions after customer backlash and press critics.

I don't have experience with the A6 but I assume you don't get a full spare and you probably have rf as standard and a can of foam but this won't be standard across the range will it?

Why this talk of run flats?
Audi don't use run flats.
Some VAG models use self-sealing tyres (you will see 'seal inside' on the tyre wall)
But they're not run flats.
I think gibbsy was similarly confused by the tyres on his scirocco.
Most mainstream audis like the A6 have space saver spare wheel.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom