Anyone ever built their own shed?

KyleS1

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I have an ageing shed that is on it's last legs. I reckon it will last this winter and be ready for demolition next spring. It's around 12'x8' and has an area of equal size behind it that is currently used as a dumping ground/compost area.
Pre-fab sheds are really expensive, so figured I could probably build one myself cheaper.
I would like to build it to cover both the current shed area and the compost area (piccy attached).

Has anyone ever build their own shed?
Is it considerably cheaper?
Has anyone come across any plans online to do this? (I am googling myself too :) )

I'm considering either timber framed or breeze blocks.

Thanks,
Kyle

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 281
I think mine actually cost more - or at least more than a DIY shed wanted. But it is proper!

I built the four sides separately out of 4x2 and clad them with 1" thick cladding. They bolted them together. Then constructed A frames and put a decent roof on with underfelt and top felt. I needed this to be dry.

You can customise it to suit.

But you need a good chop saw and a practical mind.

Breeze blocks will need a more substantial foundation and you will want to have it rendered outside and clad inside. Plus you will need a damp proof course and virtually as a habitable space. That's if you want it to last and be an asset.

Great fun though. :D

Thanks for you reply.
I like the idea of customising to how I want. I dont mind if it cost the same as a pre-fab but have something much more suited, better quality and longer lasting. Ideally the cheaper the better, but my time won't cost me anything, and happy to do it over an extended period of time if needed. I just want something long term and more importantly waterproof which the current shed is not! :)

Thanks for you reply.
I like the idea of customising to how I want. I dont mind if it cost the same as a pre-fab but have something much more suited, better quality and longer lasting. Ideally the cheaper the better, but my time won't cost me anything, and happy to do it over an extended period of time if needed. I just want something long term and more importantly waterproof which the current shed is not! :)

The pre-fab solution is the very least spec at every point. If they do half a job, they brag about it!

Doing it yourself, you overspec and in some instances that is a good thing. Whether you can control your spending is quite another. Once you get into it, all the little extras add up. Best not to do the maths!

Viewed long-term it makes perfect sense. But does rely on the outlay in the first place.

The bigger the shed, obviously the more expensive it will be. But ultimately, the more useful and easily justified.

My biggest advice is forget about it being a place to hand out - it will be full of 'stuff' before you know.

me and father in law built mine from a kit. 12x10 for £800 delivered.

we were very short on time though so had to rush it and didnt put down patio slabs, we just bought a load of chunky fence posts and laid on that over shingle (which was already there from previous owner's hot tub) which wasnt ideal as the back corner has dipped down slightly. still, saved me a few hundred quid.

if i was to do it again i would do it properly. we didnt bother to drill screw holes so a couple split. but its still up and stable after 2.5 years. i think a lot was down to it being a bit of a cheaper kit.

Viewed long-term it makes perfect sense. But does rely on the outlay in the first place.

The bigger the shed, obviously the more expensive it will be. But ultimately, the more useful and easily justified.

My biggest advice is forget about it being a place to hand out - it will be full of 'stuff' before you know.

That sentence looks an awful lot like logic to me. I cannot and will not ever use such clear logic when explaining such manly shed requirements to SWMBO! Cunning and guile is the only way forward I reckon.
This thread has now given me an idea for a project, just as soon as my vet stops humping my arse over the dog's ongoing vet treatment and associated bills :(

Totally planning to fill it up with stuff! :)
I've got a list as long as my arm for tools I want to buy as well :)

I need work out some sizes and price up some materials. Although breeze blocks will stand the test of time better, the actual building will take up more space, so less storage. Need to do some maths...

I needed a custom built shed a few years back.
I wanted a strong base and extra wide door so I could store motorbikes and get them in/out easy.
I investigated DIY as we own a crating company and can get wood cheap.
It was still cheaper (and easier) to get a custom design done by a local shed company, including them installing it onto sleepers etc.

I am convinced I can do it cheaper than any company around here.
I reckon I can wangle the bits for trade, then it is just my time to build it. I like a challenge too.

Just hope it doesn't fall down! :)

I did a few online quotes and each one was over £2k for 16' x 12', and that was just a timber one.

I am convinced I can do it cheaper than any company around here.
I reckon I can wangle the bits for trade, then it is just my time to build it. I like a challenge too.

Just hope it doesn't fall down! :)

I did a few online quotes and each one was over £2k for 16' x 12', and that was just a timber one.

Knowing where to cut costs is the key though. There is surely some wise proverb about getting the foundations right and they are not wrong. It will actually help a poorly constructed structure if the foundations are good and strong.

I built a patio on another level and couldn't afford to do it properly. This is the result...

wall.jpg

But of a bummer as the shed is on half of the patio. I deeply regret not finding the cash to put proper foundations in - and buying crap bricks.

A cut too far?

My garden cabin build story here:

Home Gym | AVForums

Was a kit and slots together as its dovetailed but I'm very happy with it. Costs me £1250 for the cabin plus extras for the decking etc. Plus a lot of graft :)

Thanks all.
If building from scratch, where would I find how best to make the frame?

Thanks all.
If building from scratch, where would I find how best to make the frame?

Take yourself along to a shed showroom and look at how it is constructed. You'll probably find it is very basic. Just work out your dimensions first and then sketch your plan. Try to use available material sizes to minimise wastage ie 4x2 comes in 2.4/3.0/3.6/4.2 metre lengths usually. Decide on all your materials before hand, so you know what you can obtain.

Plan ahead and get it all delivered in one go. Allow for a little wastage and try not to stress it.

Here are some pics of mine - hope it helps.

IMG_1251.jpg IMG_1252.jpg IMG_1256.jpg IMG_1257.jpg IMG_1258.jpg IMG_1260.jpg IMG_1261.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks mate. Will certainly do that. Or if'd used my noggin, I could've looked at any one of the 3 sheds I already have (replacing the big one that is rotten with this new one) and based it on that!

Your shed looks really good.

Looks like I'm going to have to replace my shed sooner than I thought. I walked in today and one part of the side had fallen off through rot. I've reattached it but not sure it'll last another winter.
Does anyone have any plans that they've used to build a shed? I've checked my current one and it's terrible so wouldn't want to copy the design.
I'll try and upload a sketch of my available space.

ImageUploadedByAVForums1404329695.786665.jpg
here is the available area. I want to replace the shed to cover the current shed space and the compost area.

That will make a big shed. Great for the space, not so great for the cost!

Yeah I know, but the pre-made ones cost so much anyway, I figure it will be more cost effective...I hope!

Mine cost more, but is significantly more robust. That's your dilemma - quality v cost.

I reckon I could source most of the materials at trade, and the labour is obviously free. I just cant see how it would cost more than pre-fab.
I am still toying with building it from bricks, but no idea how much they cost! But again, would get it trade I would imagine.

Mine cost c£1k. Not at trade prices obviously, but it is totally waterproof and has stood the test of time. I trust it with anything. The trouble is, you view every little purchase in isolation. 4x2 at £1.25 a metre or 3x2 at £1. Easy choice for the difference, but it soon adds up!

I built a lean to a few years ago at my parents house. It was about 5' x 15' with a proper sloped Corrugated bitumin roof.

The materials alone were a good £400. That's not including the base as there was already a concrete slab there.

It's surprising how these things add up. Even if you sit down and work out exactly what you think you'll need, you're always more likely to forget stuff than you are to over quantify.

I deal with materials on a daily basis and things are expensive these days, trade or not, it makes very little difference.

Oh dear, I'm in the same situation... Well even worse actually, we don't have a shed at all: we moved in, the old shed was pretty much falling apart so it went, and we've yet to replace it.

I've got to go and measure how big I'm willing to go with it, but the added expense will come from leveling the whole back of the garden first; the platform that creates will be used partly for the shed, and partly for decking. What fun...

Oh dear, I'm in the same situation... Well even worse actually, we don't have a shed at all: we moved in, the old shed was pretty much falling apart so it went, and we've yet to replace it.

I've got to go and measure how big I'm willing to go with it, but the added expense will come from leveling the whole back of the garden first; the platform that creates will be used partly for the shed, and partly for decking. What fun...

Don't skimp on the base and it will be a transformation!

Tip - enjoy your empty shed while you can. It will be stuffed to the gunnels before you go in for tea!

I still remember doing my base. It took my Apprentice and I a whole day and 90 x 20kg bags of sharp sand!

I think we estimated 40 odd absolute max.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom