Anyone else's Sky Q box unstable since Nov firmware update?

Engineers been and gone. Said to the missis that its the amp. Said that we should send the q box straight to the tv and use a optical for the audio. Left us a 3m hdmi and left. Muppets
Typical...:eek: :laugh:

Typical...:eek: :laugh:

call their bluff. Connect Sky directly to a different input and then use ARC to get the sound to your receiver. I expect the behaviour won't change and it will blow that argument out of the water.

If it's got an external power supply box it's a v2
I have a v1 box on the latest firmware and touch wood no issues with black screen. My sky box is connected to my denon 3300w receiver and is not set to eco and all hdmi control off on sky and denon

Well my Sky Q box has gone 24 hours with no issues.I wonder if the latest firmware reset the box to default settings as I’ve read leaving eco on causes problems.Since I turned eco off as I always put the box in standby anyway I’ve had no issues.Now is it a coincidence or is my box sorted now.
Engineer comes on Monday but as things stand I’ve no fault to show him and I don’t mind having a V1 box as my pictures sublime and there’s always the chance it may not be this good with V2 box you never know it could be a bit grainy or soft. My hd looks almost 4K it’s that clear.Should I cancel the engineer

Had issues with blank screen, pretty much every day and only way to fix was to unplug SkyQ from its power supply.

Contacted Sky over their messenger service, and they talked me through forcing a software update. Did this, and since Sunday, no issues and seems to be fixed now!

Fix from sky messenger:

Ok so the screen is blank but when you restart it you can watch tv?

We'll now try updating your box software:

1. Switch the Sky Q box off at the mains.
2. Hold down the standby button on the box, then switch it back on at the mains while still holding down the standby button.
3. Keep the standby button held down until you see alternating red and amber lights on the front of the box.

The update can take up to 15 minutes. When complete, the box will go back to a single red light and perform a reboot. After the on screen messages have disappeared, press Home on your Sky Q remote to switch your box back on.

Mine never worked when they took me through what you did.Wonder if they’ve updated mine without me knowing as it’s perfect now.Think I’m going to cancel Monday’s engineer visit as I will feel a right plonker saying it’s now ok.Will wait until Sunday to give it time and then cancel the engineer.

I've done a video of the issue

I had this issue last week with LGC7 same amp as yours and a V2 sky box. But it’s been ok for the past 4 or 5 days. As far as I am aware I haven’t changed anything.

Mine never worked when they took me through what you did.Wonder if they’ve updated mine without me knowing as it’s perfect now.Think I’m going to cancel Monday’s engineer visit as I will feel a right plonker saying it’s now ok.Will wait until Sunday to give it time and then cancel the engineer.
Let them come and give you a new box.
They won’t care if it’s working when they arrive.
He will ring you before he arrives anyway. Explain it then.
Cancel it and I bet your box will die again.

Only had the box four weeks ago now.My Picture is ten out of ten it’s amazing even hd is improved loads so I don’t want to risk a new box giving a grainy or soft picture.My box is a V1 and makes no noise.If it breaks again which was obviously a software problem then sky will exchange it as we never own the equipment.
It’s working perfect now I’m really happy with it.Changing Eco to off seems to have cured it and it’s on by default so I wonder if the latest update set the default eco to on and the Sky installer had set it to off as it can cause issues so I’m 100% certain it’s sorted.56 hours and not one problem.Will Watch F1 and City v Utd on Sunday then ring to cancel engineer.

Also I’ve read V2 boxes have compatibility issues with OLED TVs so will keep my V1 box.Four days now and not one issue it’s working perfect.

Good that means your V2 box is compatible with your set up so glad it working well.I think my box just had a software glitch in the last update.Its only four weeks old but I’ve sorted it now and it’s working perfect.
I was just saying i don’t feel the need to let the engineer bring me a V2 box on Monday when my V1 box is working great again and that a V2 box could give me a softer or grainy image so I’m happy to keep it.My tv picture even on hd is astounding it blows my hd box away.Eco mode is what messed my box up but now I have it to off it’s great and I always put my box into standby before bed.

Arrrg mines just done it again, blank screen! Restarted and is working now!

How do you check the version of the skyQ box?

Just found the version, 32B106?

I’ve switched ECO mode off, so let’s see if this works!

Last edited:
A V2 box has the power supply on the mains cable where as the V1 is inside so just has a normal power cable.Its was just i read on here there can be issues with OLED tvs with the V2 box but hopefully LG and Sky have that sorted now.
My box a V1 is perfect now.It wouldn’t wake up and kept going to a black screen but after turning eco off it’s faultless.Even though it was only installed four weeks ago some people said get a V2 box but you should see my image it’s like looking through the window even with HD so I don’t want it swapped.Sky own the boxes.
Engineer cancelled I just rang sky and he agreed it’s working fine now as he’s seen I’ve had no issues since the 8th November.At first he said keep the engineer visit but after checking my service he said it’s all working fine and any issues it’s noted so just ring back so fingers crossed.

A V2 box has the power supply on the mains cable where as the V1 is inside so just has a normal power cable.Its was just i read on here there can be issues with OLED tvs with the V2 box but hopefully LG and Sky have that sorted now.
My box a V1 is perfect now.It wouldn’t wake up and kept going to a black screen but after turning eco off it’s faultless.Even though it was only installed four weeks ago some people said get a V2 box but you should see my image it’s like looking through the window even with HD so I don’t want it swapped.Sky own the boxes.
Engineer cancelled I just rang sky and he agreed it’s working fine now as he’s seen I’ve had no issues since the 8th November.At first he said keep the engineer visit but after checking my service he said it’s all working fine and any issues it’s noted so just ring back so fingers crossed.
Mine must be a V2 because the power supply is separate.. I’ve booked an engineer visit, but have switched ECO off and will see how it goes. Although, sine I forced the update on sunda6 last week, it’s been fine until today...

I'm occasionally getting an problem where I'm unable to download any on-demand content, press select to download it and nothing happens, have to pull the plug to get it working again. Great update this last one was, NOT!

Strange things these Sky Q boxes they seem a bit temperamental so no wonder Sky insist on owning them which is good news really.Mines faultless now but also it was for the first three weeks so watch this space but hopefully no more issues from me.
I’ve probably cursed it now I’ve cancelled the engineer visit but no fault for five days tomorrow so sure i did the right thing.

I just knew it would happen,the day after the engineer appointment that I cancelled my ski q box won’t respond so had to power it off.Will give it one more chance then I’m ringing up again.Seems having eco off hasn’t fixed it.Why has it been perfect for the last six days though.Also my box goes straight into hdmi one on my E7.Also it worked perfect when installed for three weeks.

That’s it it’s gone off again.Rang sky and Engineer booked for Tuesday 20th November.
Hoping a replacement box solves it and bet he will try a V2 box this time.Strange how for 6 days I’ve been praising its faultless.Wonder what makes them this temperamental.October 16th 2018 install does seem strange I got a V1 box so just perhaps it’s refurbished and packed as new in a new casing and it’s developed an original fault.

Mines just gone again. Played about 50 mins of spiderman. Went onto sky. And nothing

Yes my box won’t even reset if I power it off at the wall.Its just stuck with a red light on and no menus show on the tv just like 12 days ago the box won’t respond.

Mine froze yesterday again.....eco mode on so had a yellow light on, pushed it onto green light nothing...power off and on again..mines a v2 I believe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom