1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else with Owl screen problems?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    My Owl electric screen is now about 7 months old and has started exhibiting problems. The first of these is that the material is sticking to itself as it descends and causing the whole unit to have difficulty lowering the screen. Secondly it is now squeaking quite badly as it is retracted.

On contacting the supplier, who in turn has been speaking with owl, they initially stated, through assumption, that the problems are caused due to nicotine from people smoking. They omitted to ask if anyone smoked in my room and as they don't (No one has ever smoked in my house, not even visitors, let alone in the HC room) I quickly pointed out that this cannot be the problem.

I was then asked to clean the screen with a mild detergent solution which I did with not one visible piece of dirt being left on the cloth. The screen is only 7 months old, positioned in a clean room environment (no outside contaminants) helped by the professionally installed air conditioning unit and has not been used for more than 70 hours (pj hours usage).

This is now frystrating me as I am being asked to try this and try that or return the screen for which I have no box.

Just wondering if anyone else has had or is having similar problems with their electric Owl screen and if so how old is yours and what conditions is it used in. Also, have you tried anything to rectify it and has anything worked.

Thanks.

One unhappy Owl customer :(

2. timlloyd

timlloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Messiah

I've just installed mine after good reports on here, have you checkd the back of the screen for debris? I was quite alarmed the first few times I lowered mine and inspected the back of the material to find loads of black fine fibres covering the the reverse of the material. What it is I dont know, velvet from the cover?

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Tim

Yes, I've both checked the screen and washed both sides with a weak detergent solution as advised by the supplier. With a brand new cloth there was not the slightest amount of dirt or grime. I really cannot understand why it has only started doing it recently and the squeaking is annoying me also.

I bought the screen new and paid not a cheap price for it trusting that it would give many years of service. I've only had just over one half a year's use hence my disappointment.

I have now ordered the Owl cleaning kit so if that works great but if not then I shall have to see where we go from here.

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Maybe the mechanical parts need lubricating - is there any way of getting to the wheels/cogs at all?

Gary.

5. vdeknock

vdeknock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would be very careful about lubricating any internal components. Any excess might end up on the screen. I would stress the second problem to the supplier as it sounds like you need a service on the internals and the squeaking could be the onset of excessive wear (can bet it will only be plastic gears). Cleaning the screen is not going to fix this and I guess you are purchasing the owl cleaning product. I would ask to send the whole lot back on warranty and get your money back or a new one.

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi vdeknock

Agree about not wanting to lubricate. I cannot believe it can be excessive wear as I have only wayched about 70 hours on it which at 1.5 hours per film equates to about 50 uses.

I have asked for a replacement and been told no. They want me to send it back for repair but problem is I have no packaging which makes that quite difficult. I certainly wouldn't buy another Owl. It's not as though it was cheap :(

7. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I've got an Electric Owl (!). I've had it about 3 years and its just started squeeking on retraction - dropping down seems to be OK. No problems with the screen sticking tho.

As for returning to Owl, I had a similar problem. The auto drop thingy you can plug into the 5v feed on the pj that allows the screen to decsend/ascend when the pj is powered on/off. Anyway I had to send both the pj and the screen to owl so they could make a special box for the combination I had.

I too didnt have the screen box and for some reason no longer had the pj box.

I arranged with my dealer (SevenOaks in Leeds) to drop the items off there and the Owl rep collected them from the dealer. A similar solution when they returned - he dropped them off at SO and I collected from them. Perhaps you could arrange this with your dealer