Anyone else with a Tesla ?

For Tesla owners only, would you upgrade to MCU2 for 2-2.5K ?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
It depends on if the car can literally take you from A to B without much input from you.....The biggest surprise to me with the recent my Tesla 'service' (apart from the cost) was the fact Tesla could access/work on my car without ever asking for my key or even any additional input from me.

Effectively Tesla now have the software in place in each to 'activate' them totally remotely with no need for a human in the car. So the next step, if you can 'activate' the car remotely and than the software can 'drive' the car from A to B with no human input you are there with 'Autonomy'

Tesla have just pushed their latest FSD Beta software to more US owners, its by no means autonomous but the progress they are making is quite remarkable, and I don't think anyone can bet against them on achieving it sooner rather than later. At that point all our perceptions of what cars should do/can do is quite different.
Agreed. But we are still a long way off from that point. Not necessarily from a technical perspective but mainly in context of law, insurance, responsibility and all the other cars. I totally subscribe to that future and would love it to be here now. But alas it isn’t.

Agreed. But we are still a long way off from that point. Not necessarily from a technical perspective but mainly in context of law, insurance, responsibility and all the other cars. I totally subscribe to that future and would love it to be here now. But alas it isn’t.
My main worry with full auto drive in the UK is for motorcycle riders.
It’s one thing in the US where lane splitting/filtering is illegal in most states. Over here, a bike can (legally) be nowhere near your car one second, and have passed you in another while making progress through traffic.

My VW GTE spots and adjusts speed for cyclists, motor scooters and motorcycles using Adaptive Cruise Control with just one forward facing radar box and no cameras So spotting them doesn't require much technology.
I haven't ridden anything on two wheels with a motor since I was 19 (back in prehistory) but as a cyclist I'd trust a self driving car over most humans sitting in queues looking to jump from lane to lane to gain a one car advantage. At a minimum I'd expect an autonomous car to have more patience and exercise more caution with a lane change ;)

My VW GTE spots and adjusts speed for cyclists, motor scooters and motorcycles using Adaptive Cruise Control with just one forward facing radar box and no cameras So spotting them doesn't require much technology.
I haven't ridden anything on two wheels with a motor since I was 19 (back in prehistory) but as a cyclist I'd trust a self driving car over most humans sitting in queues looking to jump from lane to lane to gain a one car advantage. At a minimum I'd expect an autonomous car to have more patience and exercise more caution with a lane change ;)

Fingers crossed.

Lexus charged me £90+VAT for a rear reflector what probably cost 90p to make. I didn't even bother asking how much it cost to fit.

For a 'main dealer' to charger £33.70 to supply and fit not a insubstantial trim piece is pretty unheard of. Even your local independent is going to want £50 I would have though, given the trim also includes a rubber seal.
That price is unreal. Shame they don't do that with tyres. I got quoted on tyres by them and it was at least £100 more expensive then others.

I assume some sort of Tesla event going on causing a charging queue at South Mimms,

Attachments

• 245699277_4566239796763225_8621062174983379635_n.jpg
    245699277_4566239796763225_8621062174983379635_n.jpg
    493.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 246132284_4566243456762859_8681789185366801547_n.jpg
    246132284_4566243456762859_8681789185366801547_n.jpg
    645.6 KB · Views: 82
Was passing Cribbs Causeway today instead of Christmas shopping took a model 3 out for a test drive, considering my 2 vehicles are a 1999 VW T4 and a 17 year old Isusu truck it was a bit of a difference! Really enjoyed the drive the power the whole experience bit of a change from our current vehicles! A whole new area to explore now I was quite taken by the car :) looks like another rabbit hole to waste some time on.

I assume some sort of Tesla event going on causing a charging queue at South Mimms,

Is it that difficult to park a Tesla in the space? ;)

Do you folks pay 10 quid a month for premium connectivity?
Without it you'd have to tether your phone for Spotify and you loose live traffic.

One of the advantages of lease hiring/Company Car is Tesla haven't found a way to invoice the individual. So it's free. But don't tell anyone.

You'll get the normal maps but don't think you can get satellite view.

No satellite map view just the base map display.

I'd pay for it just for the ease of use for Spotify. Can't say I'm bothered about in car Netflix/ Youtube. You get a free month so you'd have time to judge if you could live without it.

My Model 3 now has native Tidal support... I moved the entire family over to Spotify when we got the car... what do I do now?!🤯

Hurry up Spotify HiFi... I'm not sure how long I can hold out!

Model 3 now has native Tidal support
If you're using the LTE connection both Spotify and Tidal are limited to 96kbps. Only streaming over wifi, tethering your phone or downloaded content will play at the high bitrate.

If you're using the LTE connection both Spotify and Tidal are limited to 96kbps. Only streaming over wifi, tethering your phone or downloaded content will play at the high bitrate.
That's true, but we took the quality hit elsewhere in our lives (phones, HiFi, desktop etc.) so we had the convenience of Spotify in the car.

Technically don't need to do that anymore...

Whilst I don't consider my self an 'Audiophile' ' I like to think I can appreciate good HiFi. I have a lovely Denon Amp in the living room paired with some reasonable speakers. This is 'AV' forums after all :).

I've always found audio in any car limited, mainly to do with outside noise and sound staging, so quite happy to 'compromise' for ease of use.

Spotify on the Tesla has been really good for me, in particular ease of use, the sound quality though has never been 100%, despite reviews claiming Tesla had a really good setup. I've always been too lazy with phone pairing or USB hardrives for higher bit rate. Add if 'free' Spotify access I've been quite content with a 'compromise'.

I have to say Tidal has changed my mind! Especially the downloaded albums straight in the car. The ease of use, paried with what is a really noticeable jump in audio quality has made this tight fisted Tesla owner put his hands in his pocket (student rates though :)).

51718246762_b540f9f3c0_c_d.jpg

Even streamed Tidal sounds better than Spotify, play some vocal-based tracks back to back and the difference in the upper range is very noticeable. The Spotify stream sounds really 'thin' in comparison, jump over to the 'HiFi' quality downloaded stuff and it's night and day difference, almost sounds like a different sound system.

Anyone who enjoys sound quality will am sure swap to Tidal. I've now replaced my Spotify app on my phone with the Tidal app, after listening to it tonight on the home HiFi setup. £4.99/month is the student rate, I can live that.

Goodwork Tesla, would have never Tidal otherwise, now when can we have Disney+ support in the UK :).

Last edited:
@gangzoom It appears we are both posting on here and TMC :hiya: .

I'm going to get the 3 month offer and have a play. Not sure my M3SR+ basic audio will be as noticeable. I've been with Spotify for so long it feels like I'm cheating on it

Now that Tesla have given the onboard SIM cards a UK IP address, maybe Disney+ can follow?

How you guys financing the teslas? Leave, finance or buying outright?

I suspect its similar to any brand new car, with most people leasing (especially with BIK salary sacrifice tax savings), PCP.

If you have the cash though these cars hold their prices like mad. Model 3s have lost virtually no money in the last 12 months, even nearly a 8 year old Model S is still commanding £30K. Our nearly 5 years old Model X has only lost £20K in depreciation, which works out at a £333/month. For a car that cost £72K new, its astoundingly residuals.

Bought outright via Ltd company (using Scottish Government Interest free loan to fund the outright purchase)

Could sell today for the same price I paid for it 26 months ago! Mental times. If prices hold 2nd hand like they are for another 6 months or so I might look to flip it for a Model Y.

Would probably give me around £12-£14k "equity" in the car versus the loan outstanding balance.

Bought outright via Ltd company (using Scottish Government Interest free loan to fund the outright purchase)

Could sell today for the same price I paid for it 26 months ago! Mental times. If prices hold 2nd hand like they are for another 6 months or so I might look to flip it for a Model Y.

Would probably give me around £12-£14k "equity" in the car versus the loan outstanding balance.
That's brilliant to be given an interest free loan for that amount! Can imagine monthly repayments being quite substantial though.. But even better is the fact used car prices have gone a little crazy, not so good for people wanting to buy used!

That's brilliant to be given an interest free loan for that amount! Can imagine monthly repayments being quite substantial though.. But even better is the fact used car prices have gone a little crazy, not so good for people wanting to buy used!

£35k over 6 years from Energy Savings Trust (effectively Scottish Government) - To fund any full electric vehicle.

Doesn't take a maths brain to work out the repayments - £486 a month. No better or worse than leasing etc but 100% First Year Allowance against Corp Tax, 0/1/2% BIK - total no brainer for me as a Ltd company.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom