Anyone else with a Tesla ?

For Tesla owners only, would you upgrade to MCU2 for 2-2.5K ?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
It's quite expensive to insure EVs in America too, hence why Tesla started their own insurance.
I presume they need tk work through a lot of legal bumf in each country before they can offer car insurance though. Most require the insurer to be registered as such under the appropriate regulating bodies. They clealry aren’t acting as a agent for a current insurer otherwise the premiums wouldn’t differ - the premiums are set by the actual insurer in the small print at the end of the day.

In Australia for example I think we have only 3-5 actual hours insurers - all the other names companies simply act as agents for one of those and each has the premiums they can offer without referring to the actual insurance company.

I’m sure setting up as an actual insurer in each country isn’t a quick matter. If Tesla was to do that and offer cheaper premiums only to Teslas then that would be great for sure.

My 330e just drove from Suffolk to Annecy. I charged before I left and didn’t have a chance after. A few of our stops, including our overnight, had banks of Tesla super chargers but nothing for us heathens. Car generated about 60km of range over around 800km which I was pretty impressed with considering I was cruising at 130km/h on pretty empty French motorways.
Averaged 40mpg on petrol alone, which was 4 people, a full boot and a full roofbox. Not bad for a 2.0 turbo petrol engine.
With the charge at the beginning, I got around 70mpg
Must say you get some huge mpg on French motorways, such a difference not slowing down all the time.

Must say you get some huge mpg on French motorways, such a difference not slowing down all the time.
Yes very true. Although you are kind of bullied into driving faster than you want to sometimes, with the tailgating, flashing lights, hand gestures etc. :D

Maybe Tesla insurance will be cheaper if/when it launches here. At the moment they are recommending Direct Line, who have been always expensive for me.

It's quite expensive to insure EVs in America too, hence why Tesla started their own insurance.

Direct Line are always at top for me too. I just tried everything Martin Lewis recommended and the best I could get was £693.

So many people currently seem to be trying to renew their premiums only to be hit with huge price increases. Long delays on parts and huge hire car costs are usually the main culprits.

I'm £750 for Model Y, Full comp, business mileage etc.

Other EVs are also f***** expensive too. Gone from £180 with a 71 plate XC60 to over £700 with my i-pace :(

You guys gave me a heart attack!

So I went onto Confused.com and checked out Model Y and iPace (HSE) insurance prices for me and my other half - including business miles, they were pretty close, with the Y coming in at £314 and the iPace at £342 per year.

That's around £100 more than I pay for my 370Z - but that's 11 years old and worth a fraction of the EV's.

I guess you need to change jobs/move/grow older to get a better quote! 🤷‍♂️ :D

You guys gave me a heart attack!

So I went onto Confused.com and checked out Model Y and iPace (HSE) insurance prices for me and my other half - including business miles, they were pretty close, with the Y coming in at £314 and the iPace at £342 per year.

That's around £100 more than I pay for my 370Z - but that's 11 years old and worth a fraction of the EV's.

I guess you need to change jobs/move/grow older to get a better quote! 🤷‍♂️ :D
Thats the bit I don;t really understand - my previous car had a ever so slightly lower value but insurance was way cheaper. Weird.

Pretty sure Mrs IG is paying 3 hundred something insurance for the MG5

Thats the bit I don;t really understand - my previous car had a ever so slightly lower value but insurance was way cheaper. Weird.
Insurance isn't heavily based on the value of your car. Having things like long delays on spare parts or high repair costs for certain brands or models of car can have a far bigger impact that their value.

Went from £250 for my 2014 plate Peugeot 308 1.2l petrol (written off though by a lorry who drove off!) last March so insurance was always going to go up for me. Bought a Hyundai Ioniq PHEV 2018 last July & up to this March that worked out to be £70/year extra difference. From March I have paid £405/year to Feb 2023............newer car, more complicated but ultimately a safer car (loads of safety features as standard)

There's a war on, don't you know :)

Got my first taste of a long range m3 last week as my current lease ends soon and I'm in the market for a tesla. Have to say the service in the chelmsford tesla centre was the best I have had at any car dealership. The guys were super knowledge, professional and very friendly. Only popped in to have a quick look having never even sat in one. 3 hours later in still there lol

Very impressed with the performance of the long range. Just trying to convince myself I don't need the extra speed it had I've the Sr. But I also don't want buyers regret!!

Anyone with a Sr wish they had gone for the lr or the performance model?

I have ordered a model y on the wifes nhs ss scheme.
4 drivers insured and everything covered on this lease scheme and includes install of a ohme pro charger (which i got to pay an extra £120 due to where the charger is going) for 3 yrs for £479….

Now to sell my 2019 st line x kuga….

4 drivers insured and everything covered on this lease scheme and includes install of a ohme pro charger (which i got to pay an extra £120 due to where the charger is going) for 3 yrs for £479….

Any deposit or limit on mileage? If not that is a incredible price especially if it includes insurance. My wife is on her last year of studying before she hopefully gets a job in the NHS as a speech therapist next year. Do you have to be employed Erth then for a certain time before you get these perks?

Not sure how long you need to be with the nhs - my wife has been with them for about 5-6yrs at least.

That is with a 10k mileage limit. We have done on average 7.5k over the last two years in our kuga so we based on this.

No deposit - just the £120 we need to pay to the charger installers as the install is not a “basic” one. I want the charger hidden at the side of the house.
If it was a basic install then the price for the charger is included in the monthly costs.

Do Teslas do feed back to grid yet?

Please be aware that these NHS fleet scheme's reduce your pension if that is something you/ she contributes to and want to maximise the benefits of.

Please be aware that these NHS fleet scheme's reduce your pension if that is something you/ she contributes to and want to maximise the benefits of.
Works out about £10 a month less pension.
And apparently only affects the last 3 years.

Works out about £10 a month less pension.
And apparently only affects the last 3 years.
How did you work that out?

When I've done the numbers EXCLUDING inflation guaranted growth a 3 year salary sacrifice 'deal' drops your total pension pay by roughly how much pay for the 'deal' in the first instance. So if you want the true cost, roughly double the monthly figure you are paying.

All NHS pensions are career average now, so any reduction in contribution now has an impact on pay out.

Also don't forget the GUARANTED inflation + 1.5% growth you get on any contribution, so this year will be 10%+. Good luck finding a private pension right now that is guaranteed to grow by 10%+ this year.

Be 100% the financial sense of trading in what is probably one of the most valuable parts of NHS pay reward for essentially a short term rental car.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom