Anyone else with a Tesla ?

For Tesla owners only, would you upgrade to MCU2 for 2-2.5K ?

• Yes

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

booyaka

Looks like Giga shanghai will be back up and running again on Monday, we could still see those late May deliveries 😁

yeah - no rush like I say - comes when it comes...

beasty54

Distinguished Member
yeah - no rush like I say - comes when it comes...

Am i right in thinking you're in a model 3 though? I'm not so lucky, just sold my Octavia so my daily is a VW Transporter :thumbsdow

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Had a second test drive of a model Y a couple of weeks back. Surprised the drive time has gone down from an hour to 25mins. A sign of interest and demand!

My Model Y performance should be delivered in the next six weeks. Getting excited now!

interbear

No rush - my M3 is perfectly fine for now - only issue I have is the trade in price was only for 60 days I believe so will need to see what happens when that lapses.... Don't fancy a drop of £2/3k

I ordered MY on March 16th (blue, black, 19s), delivery window was May but has now moved to May 28th - June 25th. No doubt due to the Shanghai lockdown.

Similar position to you on the trade in front though, I have a confirmed trade in value for my M3 that is applied to the MY order, but it expires on May 27th. So I’ll have to resubmit then and hope that the M3 trade in valuation holds up. Given the demand for EVs and supply issues for new, I’m hopeful it will.

booyaka

Down to Middlesbrough and back to South Ayrshire yesterday and back today in 2019SR+.

So easy - Left with 90%, routed slightly strangely via Tebay Superchargers ( i think the 4 at Gretna were full), - all 8 full but space inside 5 minutes, grabbed coffee, crisps and toilet break for family. Over to Middlesbrough for an event my daughter was at.

Pottered around there a day, then quick 10 minutes charge at Scotch Corner, and 18 minutes at Gretna whilst grabbing sandwiches/Burger King for kids....

All free miles (1000 from an old referral) - I would have been stopping for toilet break with the kids anyway - so I dare anyone to say it takes longer etc when you should be stopping for a quick break anyway.

CaptainEd

Manchester prices are £0.62/kWh for non-Tesla and £0.47/kWh for Tesla and Membership subscribers. Quite a hike in the 12 months I've had my Model 3 and its not going to help availability, but we new it was coming. I'm more unhappy that I now have to pay for premium connectivity :(

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I don't really care how much public charging costs me as I'm a very low user. If it's there and working when I need it then that's the most important thing.

rb5201

Still very keen on getting a tesla when my lease runs out on November. After many years of leasing its looking like I may end up buying as lease deals do not look good currently.

What is the real world cost of charging at home and cost when charging at public chargers such as the 0.47ppkw?

Also eyeing up the polestar which looks nice.

gangzoom

What is the real world cost of charging at home

If you have solar the last few weeks have been essentially 'free' most of the time!

Otherwise including charging losses a Model 3 will hit around 4 miles per kWh, so if you pay 20p/kWh that 5p per mile in fuel costs.

52082991376_5bd14abc62_c_d.jpg

MaryWhitehouse

What is the real world cost of charging at home and cost when charging at public chargers such as the 0.47ppkw?

Easy enough maths on that one. At home size of battery multiplied by cost per unit (remembering maybe to allow some for cost of any charger install). Same maths out but cost per unit varies depending on charger you’re at from 21p to 57p around me but can be higher. Can occasionally be a minimum or standing charge on public chargers but not that common.

MaryWhitehouse

If you have solar the last few weeks have been essentially 'free' most of the time!

Otherwise including charging losses a Model 3 will hit around 4 miles per kWh, so if you pay 20p/kWh that 5p per mile in fuel costs.

If you charge in the daytime then surely to be comparable you need to include a portion of your home solar infrastructure as that’s not free. If charging at night then grid or a portion of your home battery costs.

rb5201

So about £15 to fully charge?

rb5201

Easy enough maths on that one. At home size of battery multiplied by cost per unit (remembering maybe to allow some for cost of any charger install). Same maths out but cost per unit varies depending on charger you’re at from 21p to 57p around me but can be higher. Can occasionally be a minimum or standing charge on public chargers but not that common.
So a m3 with a 50kw battery to charge at a public charging station charging 47p per kW would be £23.50 if it was a full charge?
Dies t seem as cheap vs petrol/diesel as I expected.
I'm now off to check my electric tariff at home as I know this should be cheaper!

gangzoom

EVs will end up been MORE expensive to run than fossil cars eventually, they have to, the ultimate aim to REDUCE all car usage, EV or not.

It's one of the reasons I jumped on the EV bandwagon in 2015, back than sub 2p per mile was the norm, versus 20p per mile now if you charge a non Tesla at a Tesla SC. The days of EVs been cheaper to run/own than using a bus is long gone, and unlikely to come back.

Remember EV fuel costs aren't taxed to anywhere near the same level as fossil fuels. By 2025 I fully expect EV refueling costs to be on par if not more expensive than petrol/diesel.

ashenfie

So a m3 with a 50kw battery to charge at a public charging station charging 47p per kW would be £23.50 if it was a full charge?
I'm now off to check my electric tariff at home as I know this should be cheaper!
To be honest that the normal. Unless you home charging lean pickings to be had. Remember the pcp is more and there public changes will make it no cheaper than the ice alternative

rb5201

So at home I pay 29.24ppkw so a full charge at home will be about £14 which is still more than I was expecting.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
So at home I pay 29.24ppkw so a full charge at home will be about £14 which is still more than I was expecting.

But if you have a smart meter fitted, you can get up to 6 (though 4 generally) hours of cheap electricity, at 7.5p pkw (current as of 19 May 22), using a tariff such as Octopus Go (or Intelligent). Roughly 100 miles or so of range added depending on your car, for £2.10 - not too shabby.

I‘d suggest, for most people, 100 miles of ‘top up’ each day is plenty. There will of course be exceptions - but the vast majority of people will benefit in whole from these cheap rates, and even those that do need more will get a good proportion of their top up at the cheap rates.

edit: crossed with tredman

MaryWhitehouse

What does your current ICE cost for the same distance? Also it’s very unlikely that most people are going to be doing that level of charge at that price.

ashenfie

Yes you need a ev energy package to get to4.5p per kw. Once you take into account the charging point installation and pcp cost you need to do a reasonable mile to make it pay.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
The Bulb EV tariff makes every other unit of electricity 5p more expensive, so it's swings and roundabouts. A Full EV it makes sense. A hybrid probably not so much.

PRESSTOG

I don't really care how much public charging costs me as I'm a very low user. If it's there and working when I need it then that's the most important thing.

Yep Pay a premium get better service..

They may as well take the CCS Lead off the crappy BP Pulse/Polar (Whatever previous name) units and just rename it the Leaf & Zoe Network..

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
It’s looking like we maybe going to EV and I fancy a Tesla as my wife can get a great deal through work, what charger do I need on the house and how much does it cost can I get a grant towards it, sorry for so many questions. Also I’m with EDF and it seems I can get a really cheap deal for off peak charging as well as long as I get a smart meter etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px7 S2 wireless headphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 27th June 2022