Anyone else with a Tesla ?

For Tesla owners only, would you upgrade to MCU2 for 2-2.5K ?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

AMc

Distinguished Member
I’m pretty sure it is an arse-covering exercise by the car manufacturer

I agree :thumbsup:

I think the risk is probably over stated but there are a bunch of potential problems so it's easier for the manufacturers to say :nono: don't try this at home!

If you're planning on using extension leads etc. then you need to be aware of the potential issues.
I wouldn't want to leave a cheap, 20m long extension lead trailing across the garden, drawing 2.5kw for 12hrs overnight in wet weather. If you're using the dedicated chargers etc. then you're a lot better protected e.g. my trickle charger is IP55 rated. I imagine that a proper type 2 to type 2 is fit to use outdoors in a Norwegian winter.

I have the advantage with my plugin that I don't have to charge it to leave the house in the morning but I only get an optimistic 26mile range on a full charge :)

Bloodzeed

Distinguished Member
Thanks guys lot of information taken on
I'll probably wait on the home charging when we move should be early 2022 (Jan)

I'll search around for the best deals I can get

outoftheknow

I wouldn't want to leave a cheap, 20m long extension lead trailing across the garden,
I agree long extensions are more of an issue. Cheap ones can be thin and 20m of that will cause issues. The supplied cables for charging are heavy gauge and minimum length so If I had to extend more than 2m I would splash out on a heavy gauge extension cable. And a bit more protection for the box if it rains would be a good idea for sure.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I sometimes use a 10m heavy duty extension lead and a dri-box and it's done me well when I've needed to use it. All of the charger, sockets and plugs fit in the dri-box when in use so it's all waterproof and the dri-box is big enough to store everything in the boot of the car when not in use.

N0ddie

We are now Tesla owners (Its leased so technically not ours) as of Tuesday. Went for a Model 3 LR in white.

Had the Hypervolt charge point fitted on the same day meaning charging is an absolute doddle. Scotland is still "blessed" with a lot of free public charge points so have been giving them a go to.

Performance is ridiculous. I can't see how anyone would ever jump out of the LR thinking "that wasn't fast enough for me. I need the Performance model".

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I've got an order for a LR but thinking of cancelling and going for something else now.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
why out of curiousity?
Having put down a deposit almost 5 years ago for a Model 3, I got bored of waiting and so took the plunge and have been in a Model S for the last 4 years. It's time for it to go back and so I placed an order for a Model 3....but I just can't get excited by it :(

I was perfectly happy ordering, and would still be happy, with a Model 3. But after a visit to Fully Charged Live and seeing some of the other cars around I fell for the Kia EV6. Going to visit my local dealer on Sunday but will more than likely be placing and order and cancelling the M3.

Looking at my Teslafi stats, I've used superchargers 23 times in the last 4 years. Whilst it's an amazing network that I'd rather not be without, it doesn't have the same draw for me as it might with others.

And looking at what tech other cars have, I hate to say but I think they're ahead of Telsa in all but the way they are attacking any form of self driving. I love what Tesla do and the way they're going about it, but I can't keep overlooking some nice features from other manufacturers.

gangzoom

And looking at what tech other cars have, I hate to say but I think they're ahead of Telsa in all but the way they are attacking any form of self driving.

I've gone totally the opposite way from not even ordering basic Autopilot back in 2016 to now watching the Twitter feeds of the FSD Beta drivers like an addict :).

4.5 years into ownership I cannot wait to see how/what kind of FSD beta we eventually get in the UK, and when we do replace my wifes car with a 3/Y FSD will have to be ordered.

Its probably just the nerd in me, but the AI development Tesla is trying to push is pretty astounding, and its clearly where Elon Musk is throwing all of their resources behind it. The ridiculous number of sensors on Waymo cars all of a sudden is starting to seem rather redundant if the software can get there.

FSD is clearly still years away, but it does seem to be coming. When it gets here it really will redefine how/what we views should and need to do.

FSD Beta 10 is suppose to land in 24hrs......will it make unprotected turns across dual carriageways better? That is the video eveyone will be waiting for......sad I know!!

Panavision

Distinguished Member
We need competitors to Tesla. Kia and Hyundai will do very well in the EV market, but the future is EV + FSD. Only need one competitor to license the Tesla FSD hardware and software, then others will follow.

I'm looking at purchasing a Model 3 on finance. Maybe a long range for AWD, though the SR is sufficient for my needs.

outoftheknow

Only need one competitor to license the Tesla FSD hardware and software, then others will follow.
Each is doing their own I reckon. My Skoda Superb kind of drove itself but they have cripple how long things go for before warnings for the driver to interact and call them drivers aids. Cameras, LIDAR, RADAR, front, back and sides distance sensors….. yes the software is what makes it FSD but all makers are doing their own thing. I doubt Tesla will licence their software - it is specifically written for their hardware.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
I doubt Tesla will licence their software - it is specifically written for their hardware.
They could easily dish it out as a package. Here you go Mr Manufacturer....as long as you place these cameras within certain specified areas our FSD is ready to go on your car. It could be done without too much hassle.

If we ever get proper FSD I may well find myself back in a Tesla, but right now I think other manufacturers are offering more for the money, charging network aside.

Panavision

Distinguished Member
Each is doing their own I reckon. My Skoda Superb kind of drove itself but they have cripple how long things go for before warnings for the driver to interact and call them drivers aids. Cameras, LIDAR, RADAR, front, back and sides distance sensors….. yes the software is what makes it FSD but all makers are doing their own thing. I doubt Tesla will licence their software - it is specifically written for their hardware.

Elon has said that they are willing license FSD to other manufacturers. He said it on A.I. Day last month. FSD is for everyone who wants it. No moats being created.

There is only one FSD solution for the western world at the moment, it is Tesla's. No one else has the hardware and software training neural networks setup, plus it's the only scalable solution, pure vision, no geofencing.

Not certain about China's ambitions, though.

tfboy

Yeah I don't think it would bother me I would like the challenge of just getting free charges
Every time we go shopping I see ev charging units

25mins away has 11 supercharged units and I wouldn't be going at rush hour more like 5am

We're in the process of moving too so maybe make sure next house we have a garage to charge

I could back the car to the gate and charge it possible?
Others have already replied, but I'll add my own bit considering I run a business making charging cables for EVs...

If you can park near that outside gate, that's by car the easiest way of having a few options.
1. You can get a dedicated EVSE installed. However, my recommendation would be to have the charge point installed closest to the gate (so running some SWA along the path to the unit). That means the resulting Type 2 cable (cable with the special EV plugs and charge point socket connectors) can be short. You can get long Type 2 cables, but they're eye-wateringly expensive. Equivalent SWA for a given length is far cheaper so it makes sense to move the charge post as close as possible to the gate meaning the length required to then reach the car remains smallish (5m or so).

2. You can run a longer extension lead and use the "granny charger". As others have pointed out, it's limited to 10A so slow. Regarding the dangers of extension leads, it's not really a problem as long as the lead is of sufficient quality. All my cables are 2.5mm² which is way more than necessary for 10A, but it also means you lose the least amount of power over the cable maximising what the car actually gets. If you don't have an outside socket, you can plug indoors. If you have a letterbox, I make some connectors with small plugs that are fully waterproof and fit through letterboxes when 13A plugs don't...

There are home charging options out there, and I wouldn't discount an EV just yet :) Also, if you were to get a proper 7kW post fitted close to the gate, it becomes an added feature of the house so whilst I wouldn't then bother removing it when you move house, it's an extra feature to include with the sale :)

gangzoom

The camera based visualisation of FSD beta 10 is looking really impressive. It cannot be of HD mapping levels of detail, but with the clear advantage the information is been generated 'live' in the car rather rely on the need for pre defined/stored data.

The next 12 months of FSD development is going to be fascinating to follow, the fact even a base spec £40k Model 3 has all the hardware required to run this code stack is just phenomenal, other car manufacturer are not just behind, they aren't even in the same race.

51445921654_c3f015b996_b_d.jpg

gangzoom

Cameras, LIDAR, RADAR, front, back and sides distance sensors.

That's actually been part of the problem for autonomous driving development, how do you get software to cope with understanding all that sensor data fit together? What do you do if LIDAR, RADAR and USS sensors send conflicting information?

Elon gambled on ditching radar inputs and move to only vision about 6-8 months ago, and it appears to have been the right move. FSD software development appears to be making massive step forwards since.

The test for Tesla now is if they can get Dojo to work, and how much better Dojo will make the software when Tesla can automate analysis the massive amount of video data they have.

Currently I believe Tesla aren't able to even analysis the camera input data at full resolution due to the amount of data that is involved.

x3j3UKN

Does anyone have any experience of buying a used Tesla?

Really want the Model S but new it is out of my price range I am afraid, maybe in a few years time.

For now, I am considering a Model 3 (but dont fancy a 4 year lease on a M3 2-3 years is just too expensive) or a used Model S.

I'm not very mechanically minded so I figure less risk in a used EV then a used ICE, however will a 2014-16 Tesla Model S be a good buy?

ashenfie

Does anyone have any experience of buying a used Tesla?

Really want the Model S but new it is out of my price range I am afraid, maybe in a few years time.

For now, I am considering a Model 3 (but dont fancy a 4 year lease on a M3 2-3 years is just too expensive) or a used Model S.

I'm not very mechanically minded so I figure less risk in a used EV then a used ICE, however will a 2014-16 Tesla Model S be a good buy?
Well ICE are low risk known entities. EV are evolving rapidly and therefore higher risk. I can't image many wanting a BMW i3 for example in the current market, it's far too out dated already

A Tesla 2-3 years old with a care plan seam safe though a lease , Not know for it's reliability and some of the clear stuff is very expensive to get fixed.

gangzoom

There a good few user guide.

But essentially after 50K miles the factory warranty is gone, but the battery/motor will still be under warranty for 8 year and unlimited miles.

The key difference in cars is introduction of 'Dual motor' cars and original 'Autopilot' in 2015, and than 'Autopilot' 2.0+ hardware in cars made late 2016. If you want the 'Full self driving' stuff Tesla is doing you will need a car with Autopilot 2.0+ hardware - 8 cameras around the car versus.

The 'new' £90k+ Model S is actually underneath very similar to the original 2012 cars and even today one with 170K miles on the battery offers virtually the same range as a brand new EV from many other makes!

Tesla is also now offering battery replacement packs for older cars out of warranty, they aren't cheap at present, but will essentially give an old Model S near 300 miles range at 70mph, more than most other brand New EVs onsale today - 300miles of range at 70mph isn't cheap to get brand new either.

If you aren't bothered about 'Full self driving' a cheap (£30K) Model S will last you a long time yet, but still offer the potential in future to be upgrade with more range officially from Tesla.

Get an AP2.0+ car its essentially future proofed even for 'Full self driving' more than any other brand new car you buy today, though clearly you will have to still pay for the software it the original owner hasn't specced it - Currently nearly £10k!!!

Last edited:

gangzoom

A Tesla 2-3 years old with a care plan seam safe though a lease , Not know for it's reliability and some of the clear stuff is very expensive to get fixed.

Our X will be 4 years old in 2 weeks, and am NOT planning on extending the warranty. The car will be kept for another 4 years at least, and potentially even longer.

x3j3UKN

Can you do that?

get a lease on a used car? I could be tempted by that. Where do I look?

gangzoom

get a lease on a used car? I could be tempted by that. Where do I look?

No you cannot lease a used car, you can get a loan/PCP but interest rates will be very high.

Due to BIK leasing a new EV through a business will probably be cheaper than getting a loan on a used car, though obviously there is ownership of the car at the end of a lease.

Kwman

Our X will be 4 years old in 2 weeks, and am NOT planning on extending the warranty. The car will be kept for another 4 years at least, and potentially even longer.
My S warranty expired in April this year. I was in 2 minds whether to extend the warranty and it lapsed. Didn't feel comfortable not having a warranty plan in place so got a third party one.

My driver side front door handle ended up failing a month after and I can see one of my led headlights failing soon so that will be done under warranty too.

I've noticed one of my vents isn't blowing air either so again another claim.

I would recommend extending...

gangzoom

@Kwman Who have you gone for? The official Tesla extended warranty doesn't cover lights, air con lines, air suspension, so aside from doors its pretty worthless!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ajax Systems adds UK Socket to expand smart home options
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2021 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton