Anyone else with a Tesla ?

For Tesla owners only, would you upgrade to MCU2 for 2-2.5K ?

• Yes

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

gangzoom

^The biggest issue with the extended warranty is the exclusions. It doesn't cover the air suspension or seats which are the two big ticket items that could go wrong. Paying £3.8k for an extended warranty than having to pay another £1k+ if the air suspension fail would really grate me. So am still not sure, I'll probably flip a coin come late summer and see.

I'm amazed we had a X for over 4 years, yesterday was another family day out where the car simply did what it does. Yes you can buy a massive tablet to stick in the car to entertain kids, but when its fully integrated into the dashboard things are so much nicer.

The most bizarre bit about ownership is the Autopilot software is still been improved/developed. Hopefully in the next 6 months we'll get to try FSD Beta on UK roads. I cannot think of any other car made in 2017 that will get a software update pushed to it soon which will enable it to be just as advanced as a car made right now!!

51136261930_d68ea71cfb_c_d.jpg

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Difficult to know what to do then - particularly with the new X just around the corner.

I asked the sales person the other day why there were no S's or X's in the showroom, and was told that production had halted while they setup the factories to produce the updated versions!

So they're not selling the current X anymore, and I guess the new S is the one with the aircraft like steering wheel.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with an 'updated' X - I do like this one!

gangzoom

It'll be interesting to see what they do with an 'updated' X - I do like this one!

The 'updated' car is essentially the same, but its running version 3 of the infotainment computer (my car was recently upgraded to version 2 and all 3/Ys currently on version 2).

Some changes to motor design and suspension but nothing amazing.

There will be an 'update' to increase battery capacity when they shift the cell pack construction to the same as the 3/Y, but that hasn't been officially announced.

An updated Autopilot computer is also due time later this year but not been announced yet, however even the current Autopilot computer hardware isn't been pushed to 50% CPU capacity yet so its not an big updated function wise.

Externally looks almost identical and the rears doors are staying :).

I would happily upgrade to the latest X when the time come, price aside I absolutely love ours despite the reliability issues.

Aj33

Distinguished Member
@Dony how did things end up with your EV saga?

Dony

Distinguished Member
@Dony how did things end up with your EV saga?
Still ongoing but we should have our list very soon. The bosses are holding out for more options and we've now added the ID4 and Skoda Enyaq. I don't think Tesla will be on it, but still don't know for certain. Polestar have a new pricing structure so that might bring it onto the list.
One of our issues is we have to align our policy to that of our colleagues in Germany. The Germans aren't that keen on going EV yet due to the charging infrastucture there.

Last edited:

ashenfie

Still ongoing but we should have our list very soon. The bosses are holding out for more options and we've now added the ID4 and Skoda Enyaq. I don't think Tesla will be on it, but still don't know for certain. Polestar have a new pricing structure so that might bring it onto the list.
One of our issues is we have to align our policy to that of our colleagues in Germany. The Germans aren't that keen on going EV yet due to the charging infrastucture there.
Would that not be the same state as here in the UK?

Dony

Distinguished Member
Would that not be the same state as here in the UK?
If you mean the charging infrastructure I really have no idea but that the excuse that's being put forward.
Their drivers average 40000 miles per annum compared to us here averaging 20000-25000 miles and because of the nature of our business some of them are saying they could be 3-4 hours drive from the nearest charger. Again, I've no idea how true this is.

In N.Ireland the infrastructure is on it's knees, but I'll be able to home charge.

Aj33

Distinguished Member
Ultimately this is where Tesla are streets ahead!

fingers crossed for you mate. We had an email come out a few days ago saying that they reviewed the government changes elected to carry on as they are and are sticking 22 move EV cars on to the list.

I presume the 22 covers variations within a model. Included are ID4, iX3 and I-pace.

Dony

Distinguished Member

fingers crossed for you mate. We had an email come out a few days ago saying that they reviewed the government changes elected to carry on as they are and are sticking 22 move EV cars on to the list.

I presume the 22 covers variations within a model. Included are ID4, iX3 and I-pace.
The Tesla network isn't that great here in Ireland. There's currently only 1 location in N. Ireland and 4 in ROI. It will improve, but it's still not great.

Anyway, I've done my bit as EV's are now part of our policy, but which cars will be made available to the various grades is now out of my hands. We have staff in 7 or 8 different countries and they are now trying to align the policy to suit everyone (which in my opinion will never work and it should be a country decision).
My car is up for renewal in August so although the clock is now ticking I've still a bit of time. A couple of my colleagues are now past their renewal dates so this needs sorting quickly.

ashenfie

Their USP for sure. It just show that the market is hotting up, but we looking at 2 years away before real contenders come to market.

gangzoom

Their USP for sure. It just show that the market is hotting up, but we looking at 2 years away before real contenders come to market.

Tesla USP is increasing the AP software, I can count one hand the number of times I have used the Superchargers in the last 2 years and zero in the last 12 months. Other CCS charging options is also coming up very quickly.

However the AP software really is unique. When I bought the car in 2017 it could do hardly anything, and now the stuff FSD beta is just nuts.

The latest 'promise' by Elon on transition away from radar to pure vision based software is totally unique in the industry, no other automotive brand could even dream of developing software so flexibly, let alone implement it in their rolling stock dating back to 2016 all at a press of button.

The gamble though is massive interms of their approach to autonomous driving, but Tesla hasn't got to where they are by been conservative.

Interesting times ahead, as always with Tesla.

Delvey

Distinguished Member

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I've got the option of picking up a Tesla for a company car for a very good price. I can only choose the model 3 and have option of normal or long range. Long range is twice the cost but still a good price. Hypothetically is it worth twice the price? So far I can see it is faster by about 1 second to 60 and has has an additional 100 mile theoretical range.
Anyone on here with experience of either? Apologies, I've not read back through 65 pages. :)

gangzoom

Hypothetically is it worth twice the price? So far I can see it is faster by about 1 second to 60 and has has an additional 100 mile theoretical range.

Only you can really answer that, to some people a sub 4 second 0-60 car is worth the money over a sub 5 second 0-60 car, for other its not.

Range is a similar question, practically speaking unless you are using extra range of the LR car every day its simply not worth the money, but for some the thought of having range in reserve is worth paying extra.

I've had our 75D X Model X for over 4 years now, and covered well over 50K. It's got the same range as the SR+ 3, and we recently came back from a 830 mile family half term road trip to devon with zero issues on range.

51227609915_d0405fb611_c_d.jpg

51225144438_aa4ec3708b_k_d.jpg

51221838598_8c79fea584_k_d.jpg

The 'best' value Tesla has always been the cheapest, because regardless of the 0-60 time or range, you still have access to the Tesla Supercharging network, and the in car tech that really is industry leading interms of integration.

The incar map now not only shows you all the near by Supercharger buts number of stall available, and if you have kids its fantastic, today I was chilling (literally thanks to aircon) with my daughter in the car and introducing her to some old fashioned music! You get the same software integration on any Tesla, from the cheapest SR+ to the £130k+ Plaid Model X.

51227296967_6faea93f85_k_d.jpg

51237590462_4fedaa1a98_k_d.jpg

Ofcourse the new version of 'Full Self Driving' stuff is suppose to be deployed very soon, again the cheapest cars all the way through to the most expensive will gain the capability.

Last edited:

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Only you can really answer that, to some people a sub 4 second 0-60 car is worth the money over a sub 5 second 0-60 car, for other its not.

Range is a similar question, practically speaking unless you are using extra range of the LR car every day its simply not worth the money, but for some the thought of having range in reserve is worth paying extra.

I've had our 75D X Model X for over 4 years now, and covered well over 50K. It's got the same range as the SR+ 3, and we recently came back from a 830 mile family half term road trip to devon with zero issues on range.

51227609915_d0405fb611_c_d.jpg

51225144438_aa4ec3708b_k_d.jpg

51221838598_8c79fea584_k_d.jpg

The 'best' value Tesla has always been the cheapest, because regardless of the 0-60 time or range, you still have access to the Tesla Supercharging network, and the in car tech that really is industry leading interms of integration.

The incar map now not only shows you all the near by Supercharger buts number of stall available, and if you have kids its fantastic, today I was chilling (literally thanks to aircon) with my daughter in the car and introducing her to some old fashioned music! You get the same software integration on any Tesla, from the cheapest SR+ to the £130k+ Plaid Model X.

51227296967_6faea93f85_k_d.jpg

51237590462_4fedaa1a98_k_d.jpg

Ofcourse the new version of 'Full Self Driving' stuff is suppose to be deployed very soon, again the cheapest cars all the way through to the most expensive will gain the capability.

Thanks, some good info there. Out of curiosity, what is the range of your car?

I’ve basically got the choice of standard model 3, model 3 long range or BMW 330e tourer. The BMW is most expensive as a company car.

gangzoom

Thanks, some good info there. Out of curiosity, what is the range of your car?

I’ve basically got the choice of standard model 3, model 3 long range or BMW 330e tourer. The BMW is most expensive as a company car.

180-200 miles at 70mph. Realistic that's 2.5-3hrs worth of driving which is more than enough for me for a stop.

Both the SR+ and LR Model 3 will make the 330e feel ancient, and that's just the driving bit. The Tesla infotainment setup really is like nothing else, and v11 of the software is due very soon.

Infact the v11 software may be out tonight when the first 'Plaid' S is delivered to customers......

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
180-200 miles at 70mph. Realistic that's 2.5-3hrs worth of driving which is more than enough for me for a stop.

Both the SR+ and LR Model 3 will make the 330e feel ancient, and that's just the driving bit. The Tesla infotainment setup really is like nothing else, and v11 of the software is due very soon.

Infact the v11 software may be out tonight when the first 'Plaid' S is delivered to customers......

I think I’m still stuck in the ICE age. I’ve got two young kids and this would be our biggest car. We’re due to drive to the south to France next year, so those things make me twitch. I just love the thought of being electric, not polluting the planet and having a load of tech in the car. I’ve got a GTD estate at the moment so buckets of space. Would need a roof rack most likely for bikes and probably a roof box for the holidays.

gangzoom

Going on holiday is quite easy, I've taken our X to France with no issues on range. The Supercharging network really is fantastic, everything just works.

30053450617_7f93473cef_k_d.jpg

Pending COVID restrictions next year with our daughter been older and tolerate longer trips we are planning a massive road trip to Norway over the summer holidays. Cannot wait :).

51238898631_f9f3381479_c_d.jpg

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Thanks, that's reassuring.
Still got the issue of boot space though and it being the biggest car. Looks like you can get roof bars, but imagine a roofbox affects the range quite a lot.

gangzoom

Still got the issue of boot space though and it being the biggest car. Looks like you can get roof bar

It'll be hard to fit roof box/bar to my car unless I don't the passengers to get out :)

51224926421_ac0483c508_c_d.jpg

I don't know the impact of range of a roof box for a Model 3, but realistically range is really only a matter is you truly need to drive 200miles+ non stop in any Tesla. You need to be quite honest with your self here, and not just assume you need loads of range.

I essentially said to my self 4-5 years ago:

1: How often have I got into my car at the time (335i), saw it had 200 miles of range and got worried so went and fueled it up.

2: How much effort/annoyance would it be to stop on a long trip (usually family holiday).

3: What is the chance of actually been stuck at the side of the road in an EV.

For me the last 2 points were the only ones I really had to think about, and reality is regardless of the range of the car its the charging network that decides it. Right now in mid 2021 things are finally starting to look better, both interms of Teslas expanding Supercharger network but also with other reliable networks coming online.

I've rarely if ever had 'range anxiety' in our EV - I can manage that, the car tells me exactly how much range is left, I know how far I have go etc, but 'charger anxiety' is a different issue. If I plan to charge the car at 150 miles and the charger I plan to use is either not working, occupied, or sometimes both, than what do I do next? Whats plan B, or even C?

That is one of the main attractions of Tesla, the Tesla Supercharger network is so reliable and abundant, you really don't have to worry. I don't think I have ever come across a Tesla Supercharger site where I couldn't charge for any reasons. However am still 'scarred' from using the other charging networks when I had a Leaf back in 2015. Having to limp home at sub 50mph on the A14 in the rain with HGVs having to overtake me because 3 (THREE) different public rapid chargers were all not working is an experience I do not want to relive!!

Since getting the Tesla I haven't even bothered to find out where other public rapid chargers are, let alone try to charge on one.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Good to know. I tried to get a demo of the Tesla but apparently they don't offer that service, which is frustrating. I'll do some more digging. I have a demo lined up for the BMW.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
They certainly do do demos. What service centre did you speak to?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Astell&Kern announces AK Solaris X in ear monitors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern Kann Alpha audio player gets Roon support
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches the Zen Stream Wi-Fi audio transport
  • By Andy Bassett