Anyone else with a Tesla ?

For Tesla owners only, would you upgrade to MCU2 for 2-2.5K ?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
TBH I would change brake fluid at 2-3 years or whatever the recommended has always been regardless. Despite Teslas being outside of many rules of science (allegedly:) ) brake fluid and the fact is is hydroscopic doesn’t change for Mr Musk, nor does it depend if you use the brakes or not.

Personally I can’t see the point of the tests for Joe Public to buy and rely on results..... brake fluid is hardly an unknown beast and I can’t honestly be bothered spending on a test to try and extend a change every couple of years or so..... having bought a car I can’t imagine I can claim I can’t afford a brake fluid change.

maybe it’s just me though :)

maybe it’s just me though :)

Everyone is free to do what they choose :).

Tesla says to check every 2 years and only replace it needed. I will probably book it in for a 'service' at 4 years old, feel bad otherwise at not having spent anything at all on maintenance. Will probably keep the car 8 years so may only need 2-3 services in its entire life under our ownership:).

Being a sealed system, the only part of it exposed to the air is the fluid in the reservoir, so if that is moisture free, so will the rest of it (famous last words).

Being a sealed system, the only part of it exposed to the air is the fluid in the reservoir, so if that is moisture free, so will the rest of it (famous last words).
It is sealed in theory. The majority of car manufacturers recommend brake fluid change is every 2 years.

The day has finally arrived, off to Southampton this afternoon to pick this up. Have a checklist in hand and hope to not be disappointed.
IMG_4122.PNG

Working from home for the last 6 months, and foreseeable future (if not permanently) I've decided to use my Tesla fund to pay off some of the mortgage.

@Desmo Have you looked at the MCU2 retrofit, I've booked mine in for the end of October......It was coming up to 4 months since my last Service Centre visit so I thought it was about time to get some work done on the car by Tesla:).

Nah... I'll be getting a new car in just over a year so no point in upgrading. I'm not even doing the CCS upgrade as it usage will be pretty much non-existent before I change.

Nah... I'll be getting a new car in just over a year so no point in upgrading. I'm not even doing the CCS upgrade as it usage will be pretty much non-existent before I change.
What are you planning to swap it with?

Not sure yet. I fancy a Model Y but don't think they will be here in time. I don't really need a car the size of the S so don't mind going smaller so may end up in a Model 3 for a period until the Y is available.

The CCS upgrade really was a waste of money, 0 usage since I've had it installed, infact I've not even SuperCharged once in the last 12 months!!

Are you swapping it out to time it with warranty? A new X with FSD is £97K, even with the very low deprecation of our current X its a £50k+ cost to swap into what is essentially the same car (especially post MCU upgrade) but with a bit range which we'll hardly ever use.

I'm sticking with our plan of keeping it till 2025, which actually doesn't seem that long away given we are nearly in 2021!!

How did it go?

Out of interest were you not tempted by the Taycan given the similarity in price?
Picked the car up on Tuesday and only managed to have it for two hours as I had arranged for it to be wrapped in PPF so it is still in the garage, hope to get it back on Thursday.
Although the Taycan is a lovely looking car by the time I add the optional extras that I would want it pushes the price to north of £100k, that and the lack of a Tesla type supercharging network meant that the Tesla made sense for me. Although I have only had the pleasure of having it for around two hours or so I feel that I made the right choice. Mine cost £88k and that is with FSD which will only get better with time.

Coming up to 4 years since Elon came up with the term 'Full Self Driving', are we finally about to see something even remotely close to it?

Our 2017 X is going in for AP3 and MCU retrofit in a few weeks, will be interesting to see what Tesla can deliver on interms of latest AP software on a car built nearly 4 years ago!

They've not got the current stuff working properly 100% of the time yet, I don't see how they can be close to FSD.

I paid £400 for our to be done back in 2018.

50513999967_5d3d76021a_b.jpg

Well worth doing if your lazy with car washing like me, ours still beads water after just a simple wash which I only do once every 6 months!

49263114262_ba7024a223_b.jpg

Am actually speechless......The fact our 2017 car will be able to do this next week after it gets new AP and MCU CPU is just nuts.

Elon is nuts, full out cra cra, but the world needs people like him.

Well done Tesla, the stock value I suspect is about to rocket!!

You won't be able to do that next week.

Not in the UK (nor Australia) due to road laws you would think. That proviso has been on the Tesla FSD option from day one I think. Ah heck to your jurisdiction allowing bits or all of it to be turned on.

Even if the regulations weren't against you, it's only a limited beta so not available to everybody.

No but it will at some stage, probably 2021. How many other cars can promise to do something similar which you can buy today.

What's amazing is a used 2016 AP 2.0 Model S could potentially do the same!! Am sure quite a few with have FSD already paid for with some third party vendors having no idea what that potentially means.

FSD will do amazing things for residual value of these cars if Tesla can deliver Robotaxis.

Last edited:
This is why I do like Teslas approach to this compared to other manufacturers. It can be a much slower and troublesome route to take but it will be better in the long run.

With most manufacturers using different sensors for each task, they're very limited in what can be done. With Tesla just using the same cameras and relying on computer AI and constantly improving it, even older cars can do things way beyond their years.

A simple example is the automatic wipers. Everybody uses a specific rain sensor whilst Tesla try and get the AI to learn about rain. Yes, the auto wipers can be a bit crap sometimes and not as good as those with a dedicated sensor....but in the long run, the AI will get there all whilst learning so many other things.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom