Quantcast

Anyone else with a Tesla ?

For Tesla owners only, would you upgrade to MCU2 for 2-2.5K ?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

tfboy

That is not a hydrogen powered car👀
Your point being? At the risk of feeding the troll, Tesla have never made hydrogen cars, so I don't understand your point or angle :rolleyes:

Kwman

Had my car broken into on Tuesday night, I guess by cloning my key signal. Luckily I had Pin to drive activated so they couldn't drive off with it. All they managed to steal were the coins I kept in the cup holder.

I've now switched off passive entry. Makes me sad I have to do that though.

IronGiant

Your point being? At the risk of feeding the troll, Tesla have never made hydrogen cars, so I don't understand your point or angle :rolleyes:
It was a joke... I think everyone else got it. The Tesla owner certainly did.

Desmo

Had my car broken into on Tuesday night, I guess by cloning my key signal. Luckily I had Pin to drive activated so they couldn't drive off with it. All they managed to steal were the coins I kept in the cup holder.

The key wasn't cloned....just the signal relayed from wherever the key was in your house to next to your car so it would open.

tfboy

The alternative to switching off passive entry is to store your keys in a sealed metallic container / RFID pouch. Obviously test this by walking up to the car with keys in container / pouch and ensure it doesn't unlock.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
The alternative to switching off passive entry is to store your keys in a sealed metallic container / RFID pouch. Obviously test this by walking up to the car with keys in container / pouch and ensure it doesn't unlock.
I would definitely keep any passive keys away from the front (or wherever is close to where your car is kept) of the house. £5000 seems like the going rate for one of these radio transmitter things, but if you can steal 4 £40,000 cars in one night it will pay for itself.

I would definitely keep any passive keys away from the front (or wherever is close to where your car is kept) of the house. £5000 seems like the going rate for one of these radio transmitter things, but if you can steal 4 £40,000 cars in one night it will pay for itself.
Damn that is a lot. My SDR toolkit only cost me about a couple of hundred and I can replay many signals. I use it for white hat activities only naturally.

On a different note, come on you owners own up. Who has done this 😂

ashenfie

Sad to say any car can be accessed easily and cheaply without keys or cloning the key signal. Health a safety makes sure of this. Main thing is it's a lot header to drive off without the keys, so just don't leave anything of value in the key.

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
Health a safety makes sure of this. Main thing is it's a lot header to drive off without the keys,
I always thought there should be a way to get in like you are hinting at but I’m not sure after seeing how my Skoda Superb locks. It locks and deadlocks and disables all internal unlock mechanisms. Gives a warning every time I switch off reminding me since if you lock people in they cannot get out. They set the alarm off as well.

can be disabled once and then resets so the setting doesn’t stick.

many way I think the stealing is done by flying boosters of the RFID signal nowadays rather than copying a code when a button is pressed? Keeping the key in an anti RFID pouch in the house will fix it as mentioned.

Desmo

Copying a code hasn't really been done for a long time. It's almost always relay attacks now.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
If you mostly use the phone for a key, does that make it safe against relay attacks if you have your cards in an RF wallet? I’d still probably keep the cards (or at least one) near the front of the house so anyone determined enough to break in can have the car

Does anyone want to lend me their Tesla :) I’d love to scan it and see how they actually do the security as it seems to be multi faceted from wireless keys to phone apps to onboard controls.

We can swap and you can have a retro ride in an ICE engine. 👍

beasty54

Distinguished Member
If you mostly use the phone for a key, does that make it safe against relay attacks if you have your cards in an RF wallet? I’d still probably keep the cards (or at least one) near the front of the house so anyone determined enough to break in can have the car
I'm positive the cards have nothing to do with the relay attack, they use NFC so don't send out any sort of signal like the key fobs.

I'd be way more concerned about using the phone as a key, that's more likely to be how a thief steals a Tesla that doesn't have a key fob.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
I'm positive the cards have nothing to do with the relay attack, they use NFC so don't send out any sort of signal like the key fobs.

I'd be way more concerned about using the phone as a key, that's more likely to be how a thief steals a Tesla that doesn't have a key fob.
i did wonder about that - if they’re nfc they wouldn’t be broadcasting. Are they reports of model 3s, or perhaps model S with the key fob?

and how does tesla know how far away you are from the car - does Bluetooth support that kind of detection? If I’m sitting in our spare room At the from of the house we’d be in easy BT range of a car on the driveway

Kwman

This is a photo of my e house. I park my car on the drive. The furthest part from my house where the little tree is. I leave my key in the middle of the dining area, which is pretty far from where the car is i thought. The nearest room is the kitchen. So signal from the key must be pretty strong to be able to steal it and get to the car? 20200302_094118.jpg

If you enable the multi factor authentication and other features I think there is only a very small risk. It seems pretty comprehensive to me.

Desmo

I leave my key in the middle of the dining area, which is pretty far from where the car is i thought.
How far apart your key and car are is irrelevant for a relay attack....that's why it's called a "relay" attack.

Thieves have one box that scans for your key signal in your house. If your key is in range of their scanner they can then "relay" the signal to another box near the car. As far as your car is concerned, the key is right next to it.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Got a semi tempting quote from octopus but probably too expensive to get out of my bmw PCP early. Wait a couple years and let that run its course would be the sensible option..

gangzoom

Tesla is now offering the MCU 2 upgrade for US S/X owners, this means for £2500 you can bring a 2014 Model S bang up to date interns of infotainment, Netflix, etc. The upgrade comes with a 4 year unlimited miles warranty, given the MCU is one of the bigger potential failure points of the car this will be a no-brainer upgrade for all us current S/X owners as our cars come out of the original 4 year bumper to bumper warranty.

Teslas willingness to support older cars is refreshing, and I hope they keep it up!

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Is depreciation expected to be lower than other cars, or does Tesla’s dice rolling attitude to price and spec changes make that a bit unknown? Wondering if it makes sense to own rather than lease if theyre expected to hold value.

gangzoom

^ With the latest MCU 2 upgrade you can buy a sub £30k 2014 Model S with unlimited free Supercharging, pay the £2.5k MCU upgrade you essentially have a car that is as updated interms of software as a brand new Model 3/S/X.

Newer cars have AP, but you need to pay another £5k for FSD to really use it.

I have see very little reason now why I would trade in out 2017 X for a new one, I'll be keeping ours till 2025 when the 8 year battery motor warranty runs out.

What's even more interesting is in the past Tesla have said they would offer battery upgrades to the S/X when the next gen battery tech arrives. If Tesla deliver on that promise than we might not sell our X till well into 2030+.......If Tesla keeps on updating these cars I might have already bought my last car till retirement:eek:

outoftheknow

Distinguished Member
this means for £2500 you can bring a 2014 Model S bang up to date interns of infotainment, Netflix, etc.
Maybe it’s just me but is that good value for infotainment? Is there a significant risk in terms of warranty to not do the upgrade? They should offer an extended warranty on the whole car for that price and owners can keep the original infotainment.

I don’t see it is a no-brainer but obviously I’m not across the cars involved like an owner is.

Maybe it’s just me but is that good value for infotainment? Is there a significant risk in terms of warranty to not do the upgrade? They should offer an extended warranty on the whole car for that price and owners can keep the original infotainment.

I don’t see it is a no-brainer but obviously I’m not across the cars involved like an owner is.
Whaaat, you aren't interested in video streaming and playing computer games in your car? :D :devil: