Quantcast

Anyone else with a Tesla ?

Jonno1

Mustang are know for there and I quote "dismal ncap ratings" and Tesla are aiming to be at the very other end of the spectrum.

Hard to see, but cabin structure looks in tact which if its the case is a good result. Engines don't join the driver as thats not part of the crumple zone.

Interesting to know why the driver or car thought it a good idea to take a short cut though the woods?
What I should have said is the new Mustang EV, the fossil powered traditional Mustang rating is abysmal. The "frunk" idea is good as there's more crumple zone between the front and the driver.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
That's not the yanks making numbers up, it's the Stockmarket which is global.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Yanks make numbers up. Tesla never made profit, produces few cars and valued in same league as VW/Toyota! Monopoly money.
Company value and profit are 2 separate entities.
Look at Ocado. Never made a profit yet valued at £5billion

booyaka

Tesla share price up 120% since Q3 last year.....

booyaka

wrapped my middle console at the weekend - pretty happy with the results. Good quality 3M wrap from Abstract Ocean.

Next on the list when the weather is nicer is to switch out the horrible registration plates/holders for stick on ones.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Does anyone miss buttons/levers? How much can you do without needing the screen - eg basic day to day stuff like turning the wipers on, windscreen demist and rear screen heater, that kind of thing.

and on the model 3 is the lack of any Speedo gauge in front of you weird or do you get used to it?

pretty sure my next car will be an EV and the relatively high price of the e-Niro makes the model 3 seem ok value. BMW have the i4 gran coupe coming next year and I already drive the ICE version so that could be an option Too.

TimC

You get used to it very quickly. Just got into an X5 from my M3LR and it was so odd with the engine noise. I so love the clean lines of the M3 interior.

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
The look of the model 3 is starting to grow on me.....at first I didn't like it, but having seen a few now its quite nice. Think I'm going to book a test drive soon

booyaka

Does anyone miss buttons/levers? How much can you do without needing the screen - eg basic day to day stuff like turning the wipers on, windscreen demist and rear screen heater, that kind of thing.

and on the model 3 is the lack of any Speedo gauge in front of you weird or do you get used to it?

pretty sure my next car will be an EV and the relatively high price of the e-Niro makes the model 3 seem ok value. BMW have the i4 gran coupe coming next year and I already drive the ICE version so that could be an option Too.
Auto wipers so you don't even need to bother with them. Push the end of the left stalk in for washers.

You can touch the screen for rear/front demisting...Or just do it from the app and warm up the car 5 minutes before you leave the house.

Lack of speedo - totally normal now - it's still in your peripheral eyeline but no big issue.

As above - super clean lines, lack of buttons makes you look at a normal car and wonder why you need so many. Honestly I would seriously struggle to go back to a normal car layout with buttons everywhere etc - Wife has a lovely JCW mini but so many buttons, knobs, switches it's so "cluttered" looking.

gangzoom

Its amazing how quickly you get use to the Tesla interface. Forget any other touch screen you have used before in a car, getting into any normal car is like going back a few decades.

Its all the stuff that adds up, like not needing to press a 'start' key, or the fact when you put the car into 'park' you just get out and walk away without fafing with turning things off or locking things.

The eNiro is a great EV, but just looking at the inteiror just gives me a headache, so many buttons, and this is the main thing you see everything you get into the car

The inteiror of any Tesla is so much more user friendly, once you get use to the simplicity its hard to go back. I would 100% recommend the white interior though, really makes the whole cabin seem light and very very easy to maintain. After over 30k ours still looks almost new!!

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Miss buttons? Not on your nelly. I hate getting in my wife's car now and seeing what appears to be the main desk in NASA's mission control, it's horrible and confusing.

Most things I do on a daily basis in the Tesla are on the steering wheel. Wipers on a stalk, volume on left wheel, temperature on right wheel. I don't do much else on the average journey.

IronGiant

Devil's Advocate here: what happens in the unlikely event that your touch screen fails?

gangzoom

Devil's Advocate here: what happens in the unlikely event that your touch screen fails?
The main drive CPU is not linked to the MCU (media control unit), so the car will keep driving, and as far as I can gather this like auto wipers will work.

Climate control is a different matter, and in some situations when the MCU have failed people have not been able to access the climate control needed for demisting.

I really dislike touch screen controls in a car. I can never operate them at speed and there is always a pot hole in the road just when I want to tap the screen 😂

In a car just give me physical buttons and knobs and dials that I can operate without having to look at the screen to make sure I tap in the right place.

Dony

Distinguished Member
I really dislike touch screen controls in a car. I can never operate them at speed and there is always a pot hole in the road just when I want to tap the screen 😂

In a car just give me physical buttons and knobs and dials that I can operate without having to look at the screen to make sure I tap in the right place.
This is how a dashboard should look :D

1581715230977.png

Or for something a bit more modern

1581715486224.png

booyaka

Interestingly - Option just popped up in my Tesla account to activate the rear heated seats for £300. SR+

IronGiant

I seem to remember with some cars if you wanted to add on an "extra" you'd often find it sitting there behind a trim panel just waiting to be clipped into the wiring harness.
But yes, £300 for "flicking a switch" in software seems a bit rich.

gangzoom

So you have the heating already in there, but it just isn’t activated in the software to use?

Hmm 🤔 maybe I should get one of these cars and start “hacking” it. Sounds like fun. 😂
People have 'hacked' these cars to do alot more than just activate some heaters. Full Self Driving is a £5000 software switch, you can fit a larger performance motor and than 'activate' Ludicrous mode via software.

People have also shown even the standard motor is capable of far higher output than what Tesla restricts things to, the AWD P Model 3 can 100% crack 0-60 in sub 3 seconds, but that would make the £90k Performance Model S look really overpriced.

All these things ofcourse totally write off the 8 year battery/motor warranty. So I don't expect to see proper software hacks to start on these cars till 2021 in the states and 2022 here.

In the US there are people who have already set up business where they will do a battery swap for you, activate what ever software you want, even retrofit larger motors, and now talk of unoffical Media Control Unit upgrades......all for a cost ofcourse, and often for virtually the same cost as what Tesla wants to charge.

If you have the skills to root the Tesla firmware here in the UK and setup a similar venture I suspect you will get reasonable buissness as these cars get older and start coming out of warranty. Am not aware of a single company in the UK that can gain root access to a Tesla, individuals who have the skills to do this must exist.