Anyone else with a Tesla ?

IronGiant

My nearest Tesla dealer is 50 miles away. The MG dealer is 2 miles away :)

gangzoom

My nearest Tesla dealer is 50 miles away. The MG dealer is 2 miles away :)
Tesla use to do a collect and drop off service when someone will drive a loaner to you and than deliver it back to you, they even were happy to do this at work car park. Sadly that's now stopped.

The lack of local servicing though wouldn't be a pain if the cars didn't break down so much......Ours must be fault free now coming up to 2 weeks, which is almost a record!! :).

gangzoom

PowerWall has been in 1 week now, it just works, no noise, no noticeable heat generation, and great software.

With 164kWh taken from the grid you can see our household electricity use is certainly not low, more than double the 10kWh per day average quoted.

But thanks to the PowerWall less than 1% of that was taken from the grid outside our E7 cheap rates, so our daily electricity bill was actually sub £2, our standing charge is actually nearly 10% of our bill!

The software also shows how little impact solar PV is having in a rainy week in November. You can double our solar PV size and still be no where near meeting our electricity demands. Makes me less keen to get substantially more solar PV now.

IronGiant

I'll have you know I'm currently exporting 97W :devil::laugh:

booyaka

interesting re the update/power increase.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately PV hasn't advanced as much as I thought they would. Even a 5% increase in efficiency would yield good results.
Musk and his solar roof is the way forward, especially if cheaper than a tiled roof

outoftheknow

It’s a bit cloudy so I am currently exporting 3.4kW :)

Anyway my point stands about batteries and their pay back period. If solar production. Means you need to charge a battery on grid power, the “cost” of that power is at best the difference between the cost of power at the time of charging and the “lost” feed in tariff.

Even here with oodles of sun Tesla and other batteries make no financial sense at all. When free they make total sense of course :)

Anyway the PW2 is awesome regardless of financial or even common sense saying it is very poor value :)

booyaka

2019.36.2.1 ea332ad update downloading for me.

If you hold down the advanced button on the software screen, it will force the car to check for an update.

Just did it and mine is happily downloading now.

Rizvan

2019.36.2.1 ea332ad update downloading for me.

If you hold down the advanced button on the software screen, it will force the car to check for an update.

Just did it and mine is happily downloading now.
I am going to do mine tonight, will get to test it out tomorrow :D
506 hp :D

DOBLY

Musk and his solar roof is the way forward, especially if cheaper than a tiled roof
Agree, but sadly not cheaper than a traditional roof and solar panels at the moment.

When we build (that first word is a very big word) we aim have a solar roof and powerwall battery system instead of a grid connection*

(* location dependent)

gangzoom

Agree, but sadly not cheaper than a traditional roof and solar panels at the moment.

When we build (that first word is a very big word) we aim have a solar roof and powerwall battery system instead of a grid connection*

(* location dependent)
More than the cost, the total lack of delivery times kills solar roof as any kind of viable option for anyone even considering a building project.

We just received initial drawing of our loft build/conversion and even with late 2020 build start date (still need planning permission/building regs/contractor lead times), no way am I risking delaying the project on Tesla providing solar roof tiles.

Its quite frustrating as our new roof design leaves alot of awkward shaped S facing roof space for solar PV dues to various gambles been added, solar tiles would solve the whole problem easily, oh well :(.

Last edited:

booyaka

1 pedal driving - love it! Like the new update - using the hold option and one pedal driving is so simple. Can't find fault with it at all.

interbear

1 pedal driving - love it! Like the new update - using the hold option and one pedal driving is so simple. Can't find fault with it at all.
Had to drive my wife’s car yesterday after 6 weeks of Model 3 driving. I got a real surprise when I took my foot off the accelerator and didn’t slow down :) And having to drive with 3 pedals, after doing so for 30 years it already seems archaic.

Moral of the story - it’s amazing how quickly you get used to 1 pedal driving and regenerative braking as the new normal. It‘s just great.

booyaka

Had to drive my wife’s car yesterday after 6 weeks of Model 3 driving. I got a real surprise when I took my foot off the accelerator and didn’t slow down :) And having to drive with 3 pedals, after doing so for 30 years it already seems archaic.

Moral of the story - it’s amazing how quickly you get used to 1 pedal driving and regenerative braking as the new normal. It‘s just great.
yeah - my golf got returned to lease company yesterday and I had to take it to carwash etc - it felt completely alien to me needing to brake, all the buttons etc. I've loved that golf gti for 3 years but my god it felt so weird/wrong

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
I've been engaging in some man-maths over the last day or so. Model 3 vs used Model S...

The 4 year warranty on CPO Model S is appealing.

@gangzoom (and other Tesla owners, Gangzoom is just the one I'm familiar with), how do you reckon your cars will fare depreciation wise?

I can afford a 3 or a used S, I just can't justify it if I end up depreciating by £10k a year!

booyaka

Honestly - having had a Model S for nearly 3 weeks as a loaner - I've was delighted to get my 3 back.

The S I had was 50k mileage, 3years old. In good nick, pleasant but I felt it was massive, and felt quite "lumbering" to drive, despite being stupidly quick.

Just the screen orientation in the 3 is way nicer, seats feel comfier in the 3, lots of wasted space in the middle of the S compared to the 3. Sentry cam on the model 3.

booyaka

Also depending on how old you go on Model S - outside warranty issues could be VERY expensive

gangzoom

@DrPhil Tesla used prices are like all EVs, remarkably solid.

A few years ago it looked like sub £30k 85S would be common, but currently that's not looking like it.

Our X was £71k in March 2017, currently if I put it up for £50k it'll be the cheapest X around by about £5k, that's close to 70% residuals at nearly 3 years old which is remarkable value of a £71k car.

I had a loaner pre face lift 85D S recently, and to be very honest I wouldn't say no to one as a replacment for my wifes car. If you look at new EV prices, when even MG are charging £25k+ for a small EV its hard to see Model S prices drop much below £30k, given just how much a nicer car even a preface lift S is compared to just about everything else on sale today.

As for S versus 3, its personal choice. Having gotten use to the luxury of personal space our X offers, I wouldn't swap it for a S let alone a 3.

I don't think you can really go wrong with a CPO used S from Tesla (get one with AP 1 at least though), or a new 3, both are great cars. Model 3 depreciation is a bit of a unknown, supply will likely be much higher than a S, and given its a new car it'll almost certainly depreciate more but its a cheaper car to start off with so absolutely drop in value would be less.

A white Model S with the right rims just looks timeless to me, pre or post facelift, if I had to swap our X for another car it would be a Model S.

In 20 years time I think the original S will be recognised for the ground breaker it is, the X a faberge egg, and 3 a mass produced product, out of all the cars Tesla have made so far, the S will almost certainly be the one that reach classic car status first.

....................You can probably tell I really really want a S on our driveway next to the X, a white 100D would do nicely - I'll even take one without the 'P' badge :)

Last edited:

Desmo

Distinguished Member
The S looks amazing in white. Blue is my favourite colour and so I bought a blue one....but when I see white I sometimes regret my decision.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
@DrPhil Tesla used prices are like all EVs, remarkably solid.
That maybe the case with Tesla, but 3 year old BMW i3s, Nissan Leafs and Renault Zoes are all a third of the original on the road price

gangzoom

Blue would be my choice. Looks fab.
Funny you should say that, a blue 70D S was the first Tesla I ever 'configured'!

Style is clearly subjective, but looking at my old photos Tesla really nailed the S, its go the same timeless design as any Aston or Maserati.

The Model 3 is now Tesla's bread and butter, clearly better value new, but compared to the sleek S the 3 just looks uncomfortable with itself, a bit awkward almost apologetic for taking up road space, abit like I was the first time I went to a disco :).

The best thing about the 3 I think is the price, way better value than a S/X, but if your going to spend £30-50k, I would go for a used CPO S over a brand new 3 everytime. Just avoid the 90D cars as they have almost the same real life range as a 75D, but worse battery degredation......However am sure I've seen a AP1 P90D L been sold for a smidge under £40k, that is ALOT of performance and car for not that much cash!!

Am glad we cancelled our Model 3 order, its not the right car for us, and the Y I have little interest in now either. I don't mind waiting till used 100D S prices fall to a more reasonable level. £40k for a 100D S would be a fantastic buy!

DrPhil

Distinguished Member
How does the warranty work on the CPO cars? It says 4 years or 50k miles, but someone on Facebook is telling me that it's 50k miles in total, rather than from the date of purchase.

So if I bought a car with 40 miles on the clock I'd only actually have 10k miles left.

gangzoom

How does the warranty work on the CPO cars? It says 4 years or 50k miles, but someone on Facebook is telling me that it's 50k miles in total, rather than from the date of purchase.

So if I bought a car with 40 miles on the clock I'd only actually have 10k miles left.
FaceBook group is often full of [email protected]@@, I left it a while ago. Tesla website is very clear.

Some of the older cars have a 2 year or 100k miles on the odometer warranty though.

Covers 4 years or 50,000 miles from when you take delivery. Battery & drive unit warranty valid through April 2024.