Anyone else with a Tesla ?

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by tfboy, Oct 21, 2016.

1. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    My seven seater I can take that central seat out and have an aisle too ;)

2. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    We looked at the 7 seater version of the X, cost was the same as the 6 but for our use just dont need the extra seat and the extra space just suit the car. Getting into the back is more like boarding a first class seat of a plane than squeezing into an ecnomoy class seat. The X for us is about comfort of travel as much as ultimate utility.

Even with another sproggling the 6 seater gives 2 more seats for grandparents to come along. The addtion of one more seat wouldnt make any difference for us, for others it might. We bought the car based on our needs, other go for the 5/7 seater options (which are cheaper options now), am sure virtually all owners are happy based on how they use their car.

The other things with the X ofcourse is the fact itll outsprint my old 335i from a standing start nearly everytime, and around the twisty stuff it really shifts. Theres not many cars that can keep a group of motorcyclists honest through some twisty B roads on a quite Sunday morning, and a few hours later is lugging the whole extended family around for Sunday lunch :).

I can see why cars like the Caynne/Range Rover Sport are so popular. These modern day SUVs really can do it all.....but ours costs <£10 to refuel verusus £100 :).

The only car I would consider swapping our X for is the P100D version, but at £140k its twice the price of ours, and that is alot of ££££ to pay for a 1.5 second drop in 0-60 time and ours already crack 60 in under 5 seconds......but still am keeping my eye on used prices, as they say 'You can never have too much power!!'.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  3. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    You must have made a typo (which Ive corrected), because I hear EVs are only good for 10 mile trips down to the shops :laugh:.

4. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    A really interesting post, thanks.

It does show the small drawbacks of owning a Tesla
    • You do have to drive relatively slowly (around 110km/h on French motorways)
    • You do have to spend a lot of time refueling and make a lot of stops to do so. It'd be better if you could have one or two longer stops at mealtimes. However, your schedule is dictated by the location of the Tesla superchargers. In this case, it'd be a very early or very late lunch (although perhaps you could stop at Tours instead of Le Mans and charge to more than 80%?). Breakfast at Langon (or perhaps Bordeaux) would be a sensible stop, though.
    • You have to stop where the superchargers are, no sneaking off to a nice country pub for lunch.
    The big advantage of course is the huge saving in fuel costs.

It also illustrates that, for more normal "every day" driving and the associated mileages involved, a Tesla would work very well indeed. The purchase price is what is barring most people from entry.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  5. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    I'm surprised there are no Superchargers on the Toll Motorways, which is what I think you are saying?

6. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Was that addressed to me? If so, the thought hadn't occurred to me.

7. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    It was, why did you suggest a disadvantage of a Tesla was it is restricted to 110km/h ?

8. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Ah, I see. SFAIK speed limits are 130km/h on French autoroutes, so driving at 110 km/h means the already slower takes even longer.

9. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,270
    I think that is the speed the route calculator has chosen to do the trip with the stops and charges shown? A Tesla isn’t restricted but if you do the 130 km/h the whole planned route and stops goes out the window.

10. its_all_Greek

its_all_Greek
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,538
    As @tfboy hasn't posted back yet he may have just found that out...

:laugh:

11. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    The website lets you put in speed and will calculate charging time accordingly.

A Better Routeplanner

12. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    I never said limiting to 110km/h, I don't see where you get that? I drove most of it at 130, primarily because I had a passenger. Some bits were faster. Towards the end, as I approached Calais, I had some "fun" when I knew there were no radars nor helicopters around ;)

I had breakfast in Langon. I was slightly delayed due to thick fog - a frequent occurence in the Landes. McD Muffin at 8:30 (I arrived before but had to wait till 8:30 for McD to open). On the plus side, it meant the car charged more than necessary.

I left closer to 9 than 8:30...

I stopped at the suggested places, gradually making up for lost time. In the end, the Rouen - Calais leg is a bit long, and would have required a rather long charge at Rouen, so I decided to shorten that and do a quick stop at l'Aire de la Baie de Somme which is just past half way to Calais. You can get the same amount of charge quicker by stopping twice than stopping once for a longer time due to the charge speed slowing down when you go beyond 70% charge.

I had to reach Calais by the planned time as they were really busy and missing my crossing wasn't a desirable option!

Here is the actual log of the trip (work backwards, start at the bottom). Times are UK, so the French times are an hour later than the screenshot says. I also left 15 minutes late. Had the fog at times, sped up quite a bit when it cleared, etc.
    [​IMG]

Last leg suggests (only suggests, doesn't prove!) some fun speeds
    [​IMG]

In the end, I did make a pause at Maidstone too just so I wouldn't have to charge when I get home and leave the car above 20% SoC overnight.

Also, comparing to the initial prediction, the total time is about the same: I did it in an hour's driving less, but more or less an extra hour charging, but part of that was the unecessary Maidstone session.

13. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    I guess it depends on your priorities. I can't drive 12 hours straight and we are recommended to stop every 2 hours these days. Did you really spend 4 hours charging and 11 hours driving, that's not so good...

14. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    Isn't that contradictory?
    Yes, I drove 12 hours, but stopping every two hours or so to stretch legs, have a bite to eat and charge the car in the process. It's a far healthier thing than those people with diesels saying they drive 600miles in one go...

15. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    In fact, the longest stint was the first of the day, clocking in at 1h59m so sticking to under 2 hours :p

Also, for those long journeys the use of autopilot makes it a loss less tiring and rather relaxing.

I've done this trip in my old Fabia and whilst the overall time was less (as I was naughty and drove several hours without taking a break), I'd arrive a lot more tired than doing it in the Tesla.

The breaks plus autopilot on long journeys really makes a massive difference.

16. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,270
    Maths from your original planner screen shot?

@gangzoom explained that you can choose a speed and presumably the timings are shown with the computer working out averages based on speed limits and not simply dividing the distance by your entered speed if you leave it on defaults (presumably default is speed limits)?

Could you explain the planner a bit for those of us who don’t have a Tesla? Then we will understand why it showed the average around 110km/h when you most likely set it to use speed limits?

17. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    Ahh yes.
    The planner is just a good web-based one. A Better Routeplanner
    You put in your car's details, temperature, desired speed, etc.
    I'm pretty sure I set 130km/h as the speed - see below. If it works out at 110, then that's because I can't drive at 130 and do an emergency stop right by the Supercharger :p It's an average speed taking into account the time taken to leave motorway, find pump, plug in, etc.
    [​IMG]
    :)

18. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    No.Stopping regularly for comfort breaks needn't add 4 hrs to your journey time, unless you have a Tesla to charge :D. The recommendation is to take a 15 minute break, yours must have been much longer.

19. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    Out of interest, why do you think that's so?

20. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    Sometimes, I want more than 15 minutes to eat lunch!
    Looking at the stops:
    1. 40 minutes (mainly waiting for McD to open so I could have breakfast)
    2. 50 minutes (I was waiting for my passenger to turn up)
    3. 20 minutes
    4. 45 minutes stop for lunch
    5. 35 minutes at Rouen. Coffee and Loo break at Novotel. This one would have been longer but decided to cut it short and make the extra stop
    6. <20 minutes. More than I needed, but wanted to have some fun on the last leg before reaching Calais.
    7. 25 minutes at Calais, waiting to board the Eurotunnel
    8. <20 minutes at Maidstone. I could arguably have not stopped here had I then charged when reaching home. I just didn't want to leave the battery at a low state of charge overnight on a cold night.
    I've probably said it before, but getting there "as soon as possible" isn't so much of a priority. It would have been before, but it's so enjoyable driving (or being driven) in the Tesla that, comparatively speaking, I really don't care if it takes an extra hour charging / two hours to get home. I arrive home relaxed, stress free and not absolutely shattered. But I understand you might not share the same point of view :)

21. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    Because he only has 6 seats, so it's a useless 7 seater. I'm not suggesting the 7 seater variant is a useless 7 seater. Apologies for the confusion :blush:.

22. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    Me neither, in fact when I've done "the length of France" trip I normally have an overnight break halfway. But the leisurely drive is not for everyone.

23. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    Ah LOL. I'm sure if he needed 7 seats, he would have ordered a 7-seater! Sometimes, too much choice is an issue! :p

24. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    I was just teasing him for saying that the central aisle on the 6 seater sets it apart. When 90% of the 7 seaters on the market you can remove that middle seat and have a central aisle too. Or put it back if you need to carry 7... :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  25. chienmetallique

chienmetallique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    I’ll bite, crazy as it seems our X5 gets better range as it ages??? When we first bought it we couldn’t make the 545mile journey on one tank, now we have 40-50 spare. We have lunch and 2 comfort breaks and manage it in 9-10 hours depending on traffic in Rouen.

Whenever we stop on the autoroute the EV stations are always full.

Give it 5 years we’ll buy another X5 only hybrid, can’t risk the EV stations being full of Teslas.

26. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    I wouldn't be surprised to hear your efficiency going up a bit. Diesels tend to get a little better once the engine loosens a little.

How many charging stations are there? Typically in France, like in the UK, there are only two or three at most charging stations at each MSC. With Tesla, there are now 8+. Tesla are deploying 50 charging station sites in China. Norway already has a 20 charger station site.

supercharge.info shows the locations and deployment of Tesla Supercharger locations around the world, and also shows the number at each location. Hopwood Park south of Birmingham on the M42 is a good example: it started with 6 points IIRC and has recently been upgraded to 16. Chorley / Charnook Richard has 12.

I've only ever had to queue a couple of times in over 100 Supercharging sessions. And that was at old sites which only have two or four stalls.

Tesla now has agreements with Welcome Break and Moto which will help the deployment of multiple charging points in the UK's MSC. Previously, impossible due to Ecotricity's exclusivity monopoly.

As for where we'll be in 5 years, that's anybody's guess. But I can assure you the X5 Hybrid as you see it now won't be what's available in 5 years :)

27. chienmetallique

chienmetallique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Fair points, we can only hope battery tech improves so much that charging points won’t really be a concern, imagine an EV SUV with 600 mile + range.

The first to make it will have my money.

28. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    Even Clarkson seems to love the X :).

Ours cost less than half the price of the one he drove but looks/functions almost exactly the same with the expectation ours takes 4.9 seconds to get to 60 instead of 3.1seconds. Almost makes our X look like a bargain......almost.

The Grand Tour: Tesla Model X review

29. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43,293
    All that 100% Vegan Leather :laugh:

30. tfboy

tfboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    o_O Where did you see that?

They were either cloth, or leather as an option. Now, they've ditched leather for a synthetic material which is apparently "vegan friendly". I think there was a cross-over period where you could get the synthetic seats but the steering wheel was still covered in leather so wasn't 100% vegan friendly, but now that's changed. The new colours introduced are also synthetic and in my opinion are softer and harder wearing than leather.

Interesting that the sales blurb doesn't clearly state that though so confusion is understandable.:facepalm: