1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else with a Tesla ?

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by tfboy, Oct 21, 2016.

1. chienmetallique

chienmetallique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    Using the app and cannot zoom. Thanks

2. 494930

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +870
    That excuse isn't gonna fly, I'm on the app too :rotfl: Being serious though, I didn't know you could get a 3 series electric until you posted. I presume it's a plug in hybrid rather than full electric?

3. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Yes it's a plugin hybrid, I believe they do about 15 - 20 miles electric only mode, and take several hours to charge up although they can do regenerative braking to charge it as well.

A bit like Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV's I've seen two 330e's now hogging charge spots for hours, I wish they'd put better chargers in these plug-in hybrids so they could top up quickly and go so full EV's can get a charge.

4. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Hello,

I have succumbed to temptation and ordered a Model S 75D. It's due in a little over a month.

I have to admit this is the first time in 30 years of driving I've ordered a new car, it's my first hybrid / EV of any kind, and I have to admit that the financial incentives for a company car driver were a big draw to this car for me, however I am a bit of a petrol head so it had to be a truly amazing car to make me even think of buying new, and it was very impressive.

i should mention I currently drive a Touareg 5.0 V10 diesel that I've driven over 40k miles in, and still love the car to this day, but it's now 12 years old and starting to develop the odd fault, so I thought it was time to change. I did drive the Hybrid Porsche Cayenne, again a brilliant car for a business user, luxurious as you'd want (why anyone would buy a Bentayga on the same platform I don't know), fabulous performance, very refined and grips the road better than anything that size has any right to. However, by the time I'd spec'd it to something like the Model 'S' the price was £10k more, and the finance was not as good as the Tesla. The performance on the 75D is truly insane, I've had the very good fortune to drive (and own) the odd fast car, but nothing prepares you for the eyeball distorting performance of the Tesla going 0-60 in under 5 seconds. Nothing that big & comfortable should go that fast from a standstill and with almost no noise.

I went with the 19" wheels as the ride on the 21" wheels didn't seem as supple, and the idea of losing my fuel bill is very inviting (that alone covers almost half my monthly payments). One of my clients has agreed to install a Tesla charger as their FD is interested in buying one also, and as they have 3 phase power and insanely cheap power (due to how much they use) then my runs to and from them will essentially be free.

I will nail my colours to the mast, I am not in any way and eco person, but as a car enthusiast the Tesla really is an exceptional GT style cruiser, which added to the TCO makes it a compelling choice for the heart and the mind.

BTW, if you're debating about the rear wheel drive only or the dual motor AWD version, then go AWD, the cost uplift isn't that bad and the difference in terms of grip and cornering is significant and very enjoyable.

Dave

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,771
    I take it that wasn’t a custom order? Still waiting on a date for mine

6. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    No, I bought an inventory vehicle. It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it was a vastly shorter delivery and around £13k cheaper. The only difference was the body colour and the interior trim, both of which I can live with for the big discount on price & earlier delivery. I really wanted the exquisite midnight blue shade, but have gone with the Red, likewise I wanted the tan interior but ended up with Darth Vader's lounge. As I said, it's a shame, but that discount was too good to resist.

Best wishes,

Dave

7. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Just wondering, did you go for the 'D' option in the end or rear wheel drive? Sounds like you actually ordered a car which I was planning to go for, but like you I was quoted a long delivery time. The inventory car I went for had the premium pack. The HEPA filter is a nice option, but I really wanted the Ultra audio upgrade as I need a good car audio system in a car, especially one I'm committed to keeping for 4 years. I have to say i don't know if I'll keep it after that, especially given that the Model '3' will be available by then with air suspension and AWD with the long range battery pack, but I always have the option of changing then, and apparently Tesla offer owners the option of upgrading to the latest spec cars usually after 2 - 3 years anyway.

Best wishes,

Dave

8. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,771
    Stuck with RWD in the end. It’s a bit annoying waiting but I wanted the spec I want and didn’t really want to compromise.

9. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Congrats on the order, its a decision you woudlnt regret it. I suspect most Tesla owners care more about the performance of the cars than any 'green' credentials.

As for performance....wait untill you get a P100D L loaner when your car goes in for service, it literally is mind boogling the performance on offer, youTube vidoes simply do it justice :).

10. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38,477
    Call me boring, but if Tesla want to get into the all new cars EV in the European market by 2040, they are going to need to get a vehicle out there that chugs along.

Have any of you noticed that the Tesla's are all mostly in Insurance group 50?

Lowly M3's are 30 odd.

What are new drivers wanting a small car going to drive?

Lot's of people on here want to buy an EV, but they don't want to pay sports car insurance.

11. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    A Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf, VW e-Golf, VW eUP, Smart EVs?

Any of the others already on the market or coming over the next few years? Tesla won't be the only company selling EVs to the masses hopefully.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38,477
    That was the point ;) A reminder to someone that we don't all want a sports car EV.

And a valid point that if Tesla are truly all about promoting EV's they need to think about the mass market, not the elite few that want an M5 class and above.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I agree, I'd have been happy with a 250 mile range EV version of my Skoda Octavia with mediocre power of 8s 0-60. But alas such a car does not exist so I got the Tesla.

Hopefully by the next time I need a new car there will be lots of options for a big family car with decent range, that hopefully isn't an SUV.

14. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38,477
    I'm sure you won't be disappointed and I'm not at all jealous :)

maybe a bit ;)

15. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,771
    My first referral has been delivered....should be receiving an email soon so I can order the Kids Tesla

16. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38,477
    Awesome :thumbsup:

17. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,771
    Just like daddy’s

IMG_0146.jpg

18. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Thanks, that's something I'll look forward to. I need to get my head around my 'sensible' 75D first.

Best wishes,

Dave

19. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I completely see where you're coming from with this. I think it's a matter of finance and tech development as much as anything else. The Tesla is a radical piece of hardware and it's being developed at a ferocious rate. you need a certain type of customer to deal with this, and you also need someone to foot the hideous bill for all that development work. Your mass market driver is not going to go for that, and he's not going to pay the kind of premiums demanded, your more enthusiastic driver probably will (even if that includes Gp. 50 insurance quotes).

The 'S' is an unashamed GT flagship, like the M6 or RS6. The new Model '3' is more of a '3' series / A4 entrant. Not exactly mass market, but a hell of a lot more affordable than the 'S', the entry price is rumoured to be around half the 'S' with the AWD, air suspension version around £40k, again unconfirmed. That is still a lot of money, but it's better than the 'S' or 'X'. Only Tesla know whether a Golf / A1 type vehicle is on the cards, I don't think it is any time soon, but the 500,000 + orders for the '3' should keep the lines busy for a year or 5.

Best wishes,

Dave

20. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Ours isnt a sports car, its a practical people mover that happens to be as quick as a Ford Mustang ;)

There is no doubt Teslas are current only affordable for the lucky few, and even the Model 3 once specced up will not really be cheap. However given the price of batteries the targeting the premium end of the market is the only way Tesla could have survived so far - Renault/Nissan are a different story, I suspect the profit margins on a Leaf/Zoe is close to 0% compared to 20%+ on a S/X.

But I think Tesla success is a great sign to all other manfactures just how much people love EVs, getting people to part with £60-150k of their cash is no easy task, yet Tesla have achieved it.

A cheaper Tesla is on the cards, once the Model 3 is delivered. It'll apparenrly feature an all new CANBUS setup, remove the need for a 12V battery, and have alot less wiring to save costs....Just one word of caution on this, as ever with anything Musk says, Tesla time correction factor needs to be applied. His also said the next car will be the Model Y which will have the same doors as the X, mentioned a new roadster, oh and than there is the Tesla truck due to be unvailed next month......I believe his also got a side project going building a rocket to go to Mars, and something about drilling a tunnel to link LA with SF for a 700mph underground train :laugh:.

Elon Musk says Tesla’s next car will be even cheaper than the Model 3

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  21. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    That is a bit of an elitist comment and I suspect highly inaccurate. I earn six figures (when converted into pounds sterling) so I can afford one. People on way less than me can afford one.

This is one of the things Tesla and their owners need to look at - if you want to come across as an elitist ****** then that’s fine of course.

There is nothing lucky about being able to afford a luxury car. Stating it frequently just rubs many people up the wrong way. Including those who can afford it and choose not to buy one for perfectly good reasons.

22. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Why is that elitist its the truth.

If you have a job that earns 6 figures or any job to afford a Tesla you should count yourself lucky.

The median UK household income is £23k, if you think the majority of UK households can afford a £60k+ car than you must have a very good accountant :).

As to luck, I don't care what people say about hard work/talent etc in regards to been successful/earning a 6 figure salary. Luck has as much part to play as anything else.

My parents grew up with virtually nothing, we didnt have a family car till I was 10. I remeber living in a rented room in a shared semi detached house with a single bathroom between 4 familes. I went to a primary school which OFSTED has since shut down because it was so bad.

I count my self 100% lucky to be driving a Tesla now, I worked hard but am under no illusion how unfair life is to some, and fully aware of how unafforable such a car is to many. Equally I couldn't careless how other people spend their money, but to buy a £60k+ car you need the means, and most of society don't regardless of how hard they work.

I'm not been elist am been honest, but the disparity of wealth and inequality in the world goes far beyond Tesla and cars. Its probably the biggest challenge facing society, and in reality a fat bigger problem than cars. Can we really call our civilisation advanced when 5% of the population control 40% of the wealth?? Anyways thats another topic better reserved for another post :).

The distribution of household wealth in the UK - Institute For Fiscal Studies - IFS

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  23. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    No worries - my point was merely that you said it at all. Putting yourself in the ‘lucky few’ that can afford a specific car is elitist IMO. It is likely to be the truth as well in terms of how few can afford one but that wasn’t my point at all.

I think we are all aware about wealth distribution and I wasn’t suggesting I am not lucky to earn what I do.

24. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,462
    LOL So I’m the odd one out. I don’t think luck has anything to do with it. It’s all about the choices we make, whether we want to attribute the good ones to luck? Hmm nah not in my views. But hey ho, doesn’t really matter.

We all choose different things at different times.

To me Tesla has simply been following a relatively old marketing model by capturing the top end of the market first and as such become aspirational. That also has advantages like the latest technology, but not only that also the space for creating that range which lets face is is the biggest obstacle to most people I talk regarding EV. Whether rational or not doesn’t matter, it is there. To me there is no denying that they’ve managed to remove that objection, not just by the large capacity batteries but especially in combination with a charging network as well.

Box standard marketing, capture that end of the market, become aspirational and then you can create mass market models there after.

And I think there is nothing wrong with considering yourself lucky enough to drive a fantastic car. It’s good to maintain that appreciation.

25. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    For me cars have always driven me to work harder, put the extra hours in. I remeber 'buying' a Integra Type R in GrandTurismo and than the joy of realising I could afford one for real. I was sitting in the back of a mates Corsa when I first saw a 350Z straight away I knew I wanted one and luckily a few years later I had one on the drive.

Strangely since getting the Tesla for the first time ever I find my self not interested in any other cars!!

However I still have very clear memories of passing a beautiful XJS everyday I walked to school. I said to my 10 year old self I would make sure one day I have a Jag of my own...sadly that's an aspiration I still haven't quite achived, but one day....come on iPace it better be good :).

26. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,771
    I think luck has a lot do with it, along side making good choices. Hard work is somewhere in between. But that is a whole other debate :)

I certainly feel lucky with my lot in life. It's not always been an easy ride but now I'm doing OK and feel lucky to have what I have and appreciate that many others don't have and may never have what I've got. And in the grand scheme of things I don't even have that much.

Anyhow, back on to Tesla. I have a look at the referral scheme and have noticed that I can also get a Wall Connector as one of my referrals. I was more than likely going to go with the blue commando connector initially until I figured out my home charging routine and options but if I can get the proper wall connector for free then why not? Obviously the kids car has to come first but my second referral should be delivered in time for me the grab the Wall Connector as well....nice :)

27. its_all_Greek

its_all_Greek
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,306
    So your first referral that you didn't actually refer, has been delivered and kids are going to get their car before you even have a date for yours?:eek:

Somethings wrong there somewhere:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  28. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    as Desmo mentioned charging, what have you done about charging your cars. Have you fitted the Tesla charger, used a 3rd party charger or just used an external wall socket? I know there's a grant available for fitting chargers to your home, but looking at the prices for the companies which are signed up to the scheme, even with the grant their prices are as high if not higher than the Tesla charger without the grant subsidy.

On the matter of insurance, has anyone used Novo? The local Tesla dealership suggested a lot of buyers use Novo as their level of service is very good, and as they are a more specialised insurer, their prices are more competitive than most. I know Direct Line is their preferred partner, but I've never used them myself to insure any of my cars and I'm a little concerned about the service they give. Would really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on this.

Thanks and best wishes,

Dave

29. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    I'm currently using an external 32amp socket to charge the Tesla, have done so for last 6 months with no issues.

Am taking part in the charge your car trial run by evnation, currently waiting for a free home charger to be installed as part of the trial.

Tesla are also building a massive 24 bay (12 north and 12 south) SuperCharger site 10 minutes from house (Leicester Forest East).

So charging side am sorted :)

I'm with Directline but when I had my accident Novo sorted out the claim. They have provided me with a Model X loaner within 24hrs of my accident, delivered at work and I've had it since June!! You dont need to be insured by them to use their services in an accident, their service is free providing your not at fault.

30. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I installed a Pod Point charger, I think it was about £350 installed using the OLEV grant.

As for insurance I went with Admiral as they were significantly cheaper than Direct Line and Novo. But you need to shop around as it seems to differ greatly depending on location, age etc. If Novo were closer to Admirals quote then I would have gone with them, but they were nearly double the price unfortunately.

I won't hesitate to use them as an incident management company though if I'm involved in an accident that isn't my fault.