Anyone else with a Tesla ?

For Tesla owners only, would you upgrade to MCU2 for 2-2.5K ?

• Yes

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
I think the other major feature of the Model 3 appear to be safety. Having recently been in a fairly big accident in our X, seeing how just much better the Model 3 performs in crash tests versus a Volvo S60 is very reassuring.

tesla-model-3-vs-volvo-s60.png

Those floor battery packs in the Tesla cars make for fantastic rigidity in collisions. One of the big bonuses to designing an EV from scratch rather than some of the token EV's with batteries in the boot area.

The press reviews of the Model 3 have been all positive, bordering on fanatical.

Strangely as a current Tesla owner I cannot see the fuss with the 3, it doesn't do anything the current S/X cannot do, but than again the 3 isn't meant to better the S/X, its there to provide a lower price of entry into long range EV ownership.

The 300 mile range version at $44k before any kind of tax/government incentives is really good value, and on par with the cost of a BMW 340i which have similar performance.

Cannot wait to see what the 'P' and AWD models turn out like :).
Different people have different wants and desires...

I really wanted a Tesla S but as my wife would be the main driver she found it too 'business men' like. I really like the Tesla X prior to release, but then when I saw it in real life there was just no way we could spend our money on something that looks like that. We are going to have another go with the 3...It isn't not about the money but size and looks for us...And those are totally subjective criteria....

I cannot see the fuss either, perhaps for different reasons. How is that boot going to appeal to the hatchback market? Clearly your X has a cavernous boot, but the one on the 3 looks more like a letterbox.

I get that the range and ride are awesome if you go for a $59K version, but how will the base model compete with not only the next generation of EV's over here but the ones available in 2019?

Don't get me wrong, they are laying down the gauntlet to everyone else, and that can only be a good thing :smashin:
The dog can go on the rear seat :) Or our Lab likes snuggling in the foot wells...

Are there any instruments like a HUD in front of the drivers view? It isn't clear from the pictures...Surely it can't all be on the screen in the middle?

The dog can go on the rear seat :) Or our Lab likes snuggling in the foot wells...

Are there any instruments like a HUD in front of the drivers view? It isn't clear from the pictures...Surely it can't all be on the screen in the middle?
Been watching a few videos and it doesn't look like it :( I've only just about come to terms to forgive Mercedes to install a fake iPad in our GLC43 but aren't sure at all about having to move my head to look on a 15" screen in the middle of the car for vital information.

I really like the Tesla X prior to release, but then when I saw it in real life there was just no way we could spend our money on something that looks like that.

Have you driven one? Your really missing out if you dismiss the car on looks alone. The more I drive our X the more astounded by it's ability, had some 'fun' today on a twisty B road.....lets just say some motorbike riders must be wondering why they couldn't just blast past a overweight people carrier ;).

Have you driven one? Your really missing out if you dismiss the car on looks alone. The more I drive our X the more astounded by it's ability, had some 'fun' today on a twisty B road.....lets just say some motorbike riders must be wondering why they couldn't just blast past a overweight people carrier ;).
Nope. I cancelled our long awaited test drive. Dislike it so much that it's simply a no no for us. I'm sure it will be lovely to drive like the Tesla S or not EV alternatives. It is simply not for us. We had the same with the x164 Mercedes whilst the slightly facelifted and changed x166 model GLS was just fine.

Nope. I cancelled our long awaited test drive. Dislike it so much that it's simply a no no for us. I'm sure it will be lovely to drive like the Tesla S or not EV alternatives. It is simply not for us. We had the same with the x164 Mercedes whilst the slightly facelifted and changed x166 model GLS was just fine.

Fair enough, what about the iPace? That's on our very short short list to replace my wife's Lexus hybrid which as it stands:
  • Top spec Model 3
  • Used/inventory order Model S
  • iPace
Am keen on the iPace but I suspect we'll end up with the 'P' varient of the Model 3....Tesla have really got under my skin :).

I think I'm the only person on the planet that like the "iPad stuck on a dashboard" style in cars these days.

I'm hearing that the model 3 won't realistically be hitting the UK and Ireland until early 2020. Not starting production until 2019.

Isn't that a loser already? The range will be badly outdated by then surely?

I think I'm the only person on the planet that like the "iPad stuck on a dashboard" style in cars these days.
I think most people fall into the don't care category whereas I for one hate it! The gf likes all things Merc and doesn't mind it! But I'd say that's cos she's biased. So using that example and the fact Merc sell shed loads of cars I'm gonna say most don't care. Although the e class doesn't have one because its not classy enough...

I haven't driven a Tesla but I do like the idea of the large screen in the S, it looks sweet and classy. A floating iPad that's not touchscreen is not.

I'm hearing that the model 3 won't realistically be hitting the UK and Ireland until early 2020. Not starting production until 2019.

The Model S had is 200 mile range back in 2012, 5 years on can you name one any other EV that can do 200 miles at normal M-way speeds?

The longer range Model 3 will have 300 miles, even by 2020 can you see anyone else coming close to that?? That's assuming Tesla don't do any updates, which is like assuming the sky isn't blue and the sun woudlnt rise tomrrow morning.

I would assume (but I know that could be the mother of all fudgeups :)) that by the time our production start it will include any of the model year updates that take place. Similarly like other manufacturers do that. Also having looked into the 3 a bit more, the base model has that range, but there are other models in the lineup that will have different options.

Ultimately it will be great when there is more competition, and unless I'm mistaken Tesla don't even see it as competition, haven't they open sourced their battery patents and the likes?

The Model S had is 200 mile range back in 2012, 5 years on can you name one any other EV that can do 200 miles at normal M-way speeds?

The longer range Model 3 will have 300 miles, even by 2020 can you see anyone else coming close to that?? That's assuming Tesla don't do any updates, which is like assuming the sky isn't blue and the sun woudlnt rise tomrrow morning.
But the base model 3 has around 200 mile range as far as I know.

Which isn't much more than the new Zoe can manage on a good day.

I know they are massively different in terms of type of car but range is the big factor for EVs in general and I would imagine that by 2020 the likes of the Ioniq will be well over 200 miles for probably a lot less than the base Tesla model 3.

Of course updates and improvements would change the scenario.

I think most people fall into the don't care category whereas I for one hate it! The gf likes all things Merc and doesn't mind it! But I'd say that's cos she's biased. So using that example and the fact Merc sell shed loads of cars I'm gonna say most don't care. Although the e class doesn't have one because its not classy enough...

I haven't driven a Tesla but I do like the idea of the large screen in the S, it looks sweet and classy. A floating iPad that's not touchscreen is not.
I still don't like it either, but I've come to learn that I can't stop it and there are other bigger 'issues' to worry about. On our Mercedes GLS we had a neatly integrated screen, the current model year has the same dash but where ours was integrated they've just plonked one of those fake tablets in place. It looks horrible. Yet on our GLC it was designed with the tablet in mind and it doesn't look too bad. The new E class has (when you choose the right option) a full width fully electronic dashboard that is totally integrated and looks really neat.

Personally I would have like the 3 to have more traditional key information and dials. However having looked more into it, and understanding their ultimate vision of autonomous vehicles it somehow makes sense to have it where they've put it.

Let's say I can see and understand the vision, personally I think they are a little bit early for adaptation. But then again the moment I write that I also realise that I'm very far of the mark with that considering how many people reserved the right to buy one....So what do I know :)

I still don't like it either, but I've come to learn that I can't stop it and there are other bigger 'issues' to worry about. On our Mercedes GLS we had a neatly integrated screen, the current model year has the same dash but where ours was integrated they've just plonked one of those fake tablets in place. It looks horrible. Yet on our GLC it was designed with the tablet in mind and it doesn't look too bad. The new E class has (when you choose the right option) a full width fully electronic dashboard that is totally integrated and looks really neat.

Personally I would have like the 3 to have more traditional key information and dials. However having looked more into it, and understanding their ultimate vision of autonomous vehicles it somehow makes sense to have it where they've put it.

Let's say I can see and understand the vision, personally I think they are a little bit early for adaptation. But then again the moment I write that I also realise that I'm very far of the mark with that considering how many people reserved the right to buy one....So what do I know :)
I'm with you mate, if it's integrated rather than stuck on it looks the part! It puts me right off them! Won't be on my shopping list! Tesla... I do like the S but it'll have to drop a bit more in price to be in my range!

Ultimately it will be great when there is more competition, and unless I'm mistaken Tesla don't even see it as competition, haven't they open sourced their battery patents and the likes?

Don't let Elon's PR spin with patents fool you. Elon Musk realized many many moons ago the money is in software, which is how he made his fortune in the first place. The hardware Tesla use is nothing new/special but their software all the way from controlling the electric seats through to the battery management system/Autopilot is locked down tight.

Don't let Elon's PR spin with patents fool you. Elon Musk realized many many moons ago the money is in software, which is how he made his fortune in the first place. The hardware Tesla use is nothing new/special but their software all the way from controlling the electric seats through to the battery management system/Autopilot is locked down tight.
Fair point and well made.

Traditionally I've found the software car manufacturers write, or integrate from their many suppliers very inefficient. Sometimes there are nice touches where they clearly have given a thought, but writing it in such a way that it affects (positively) the energy usage of a moving vehicle is a whole different ball game.

I've got some experience with that where CO2 reductions were explicitly written as measurable outcomes in a software development and hosting contract, but that is in a static controllable environment. Doesn't come close to what they have to do.

As a side note, my team was extremely motivated more so than I've ever seen before by this reduction to CO2 element. It was exciting to see their response and idea they came up with. Something like I haven't seen before.

Agreed about the software. It is clear on the website now that all hardware for the options is fitted to every S and X and the payment is for the software to be installed/ enabled. You pay more after delivery just because. There is no difference in the end result. So software
costs are a lot of what it is about still. You need to pay the geeks who write the code and these cars have more need for it than any other to date :)

The wait is almost over! Picking up my shiny Tesla Model S on 28th August :D

If you are in the UK I would wait until 1/9 ;)

Don't care about the plate, got a personal '15' plate that will be going on it :) Yes, I've turned into "one of those people" :laugh:

28th works really well as it's a bank holiday :) Should be quiet there too as most people will be waiting for 1st September :D

Don't care about the plate, got a personal '15' plate that will be going on it :) Yes, I've turned into "one of those people" :laugh:

28th works really well as it's a bank holiday :) Should be quiet there too as most people will be waiting for 1st September :D
I don't care about the plate either, but surely you must be leasing it then...Sales people will go its a 2018 model year when you buy it, but when you come to sell it, it will be all of a sudden a 2016 model year :p

Anyway enjoy....

I don't think Tesla do model years, they change their spec approximately once a week :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom