Anyone else with a Tesla ?

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by tfboy, Oct 21, 2016.

1. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Have you driven one? Your really missing out if you dismiss the car on looks alone. The more I drive our X the more astounded by it's ability, had some 'fun' today on a twisty B road.....lets just say some motorbike riders must be wondering why they couldn't just blast past a overweight people carrier ;).

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    Nope. I cancelled our long awaited test drive. Dislike it so much that it's simply a no no for us. I'm sure it will be lovely to drive like the Tesla S or not EV alternatives. It is simply not for us. We had the same with the x164 Mercedes whilst the slightly facelifted and changed x166 model GLS was just fine.

3. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Fair enough, what about the iPace? That's on our very short short list to replace my wife's Lexus hybrid which as it stands:
    • Top spec Model 3
    • Used/inventory order Model S
    • iPace
    Am keen on the iPace but I suspect we'll end up with the 'P' varient of the Model 3....Tesla have really got under my skin :).

4. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,915
    I think I'm the only person on the planet that like the "iPad stuck on a dashboard" style in cars these days.

5. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,520
    I'm hearing that the model 3 won't realistically be hitting the UK and Ireland until early 2020. Not starting production until 2019.

Isn't that a loser already? The range will be badly outdated by then surely?

6. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I think most people fall into the don't care category whereas I for one hate it! The gf likes all things Merc and doesn't mind it! But I'd say that's cos she's biased. So using that example and the fact Merc sell shed loads of cars I'm gonna say most don't care. Although the e class doesn't have one because its not classy enough...

I haven't driven a Tesla but I do like the idea of the large screen in the S, it looks sweet and classy. A floating iPad that's not touchscreen is not.

7. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    The Model S had is 200 mile range back in 2012, 5 years on can you name one any other EV that can do 200 miles at normal M-way speeds?

The longer range Model 3 will have 300 miles, even by 2020 can you see anyone else coming close to that?? That's assuming Tesla don't do any updates, which is like assuming the sky isn't blue and the sun woudlnt rise tomrrow morning.

8. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    I would assume (but I know that could be the mother of all fudgeups :)) that by the time our production start it will include any of the model year updates that take place. Similarly like other manufacturers do that. Also having looked into the 3 a bit more, the base model has that range, but there are other models in the lineup that will have different options.

Ultimately it will be great when there is more competition, and unless I'm mistaken Tesla don't even see it as competition, haven't they open sourced their battery patents and the likes?

9. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,520
    But the base model 3 has around 200 mile range as far as I know.

Which isn't much more than the new Zoe can manage on a good day.

I know they are massively different in terms of type of car but range is the big factor for EVs in general and I would imagine that by 2020 the likes of the Ioniq will be well over 200 miles for probably a lot less than the base Tesla model 3.

Of course updates and improvements would change the scenario.

10. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    I still don't like it either, but I've come to learn that I can't stop it and there are other bigger 'issues' to worry about. On our Mercedes GLS we had a neatly integrated screen, the current model year has the same dash but where ours was integrated they've just plonked one of those fake tablets in place. It looks horrible. Yet on our GLC it was designed with the tablet in mind and it doesn't look too bad. The new E class has (when you choose the right option) a full width fully electronic dashboard that is totally integrated and looks really neat.

Personally I would have like the 3 to have more traditional key information and dials. However having looked more into it, and understanding their ultimate vision of autonomous vehicles it somehow makes sense to have it where they've put it.

Let's say I can see and understand the vision, personally I think they are a little bit early for adaptation. But then again the moment I write that I also realise that I'm very far of the mark with that considering how many people reserved the right to buy one....So what do I know :)

11. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I'm with you mate, if it's integrated rather than stuck on it looks the part! It puts me right off them! Won't be on my shopping list! Tesla... I do like the S but it'll have to drop a bit more in price to be in my range!

12. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Don't let Elon's PR spin with patents fool you. Elon Musk realized many many moons ago the money is in software, which is how he made his fortune in the first place. The hardware Tesla use is nothing new/special but their software all the way from controlling the electric seats through to the battery management system/Autopilot is locked down tight.

13. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    Fair point and well made.

Traditionally I've found the software car manufacturers write, or integrate from their many suppliers very inefficient. Sometimes there are nice touches where they clearly have given a thought, but writing it in such a way that it affects (positively) the energy usage of a moving vehicle is a whole different ball game.

I've got some experience with that where CO2 reductions were explicitly written as measurable outcomes in a software development and hosting contract, but that is in a static controllable environment. Doesn't come close to what they have to do.

As a side note, my team was extremely motivated more so than I've ever seen before by this reduction to CO2 element. It was exciting to see their response and idea they came up with. Something like I haven't seen before.

14. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    Tesla - the Apple of cars.

15. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Agreed about the software. It is clear on the website now that all hardware for the options is fitted to every S and X and the payment is for the software to be installed/ enabled. You pay more after delivery just because. There is no difference in the end result. So software
    costs are a lot of what it is about still. You need to pay the geeks who write the code and these cars have more need for it than any other to date :)

16. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    The wait is almost over! Picking up my shiny Tesla Model S on 28th August :D

17. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    If you are in the UK I would wait until 1/9 ;)

18. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Don't care about the plate, got a personal '15' plate that will be going on it :) Yes, I've turned into "one of those people" :laugh:

28th works really well as it's a bank holiday :) Should be quiet there too as most people will be waiting for 1st September :D

19. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,568
    I don't care about the plate either, but surely you must be leasing it then...Sales people will go its a 2018 model year when you buy it, but when you come to sell it, it will be all of a sudden a 2016 model year :p

Anyway enjoy....

20. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I don't think Tesla do model years, they change their spec approximately once a week :laugh:

21. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    Our replacement X has only just gone into 'production' :(

22. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I've heard the second child is easier than the first... not sure the same principle applies to Teslas... sorry :(

How many referrals are you on now? Hope mine got you something useful to ease the pain!

23. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,915
    Must admit I've started looking at figures for the S rather than the 3. I've never been a fan of PCP for some reason but the S could sway me...just need to run some figures and get some questions answered.

24. Garyman

Garyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    Went to Leeds on a day trip and finally got up and close with a X first hand but was only at one of the shopping arcade.

Wow!!

I'm completely smitten by it just on the looks alone. Would love to go out on a test drive but judging from the comments here and mainly gangzoom, I'm sure I would love it just as well.

Shame my finances doesn't stretch :(

[​IMG]

25. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,915
    @gangzoom .... I know from pictures you've posted before you had trouble with the child seat in the back of an S. We have the same child seat...was it really that much of a squeeze or did you not want to move the passenger seat forward enough to accommodate it?

Also, are there any ISOFIX points on the front seat? Or is it rear only?

26. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    The problem is how deep the ISOFIX points are in the S. I'm sure its doable but with alot of effort. I had the passenger seat all the way forwards, and after 5-10 minutes of struggling to get the isofix mounts to engage gave up and resorted to the spare seat belt fixer seat we had.

No ISOFIX points in the front seat, but the 6/7 seater X has 4 :)

They have recently (a few days ago) lowered the price of the X, its still stupidly expensive but less so.

27. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,915
    Not really interested in the X.

28. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,915
    Was talking to the wife about this last night as I've never been a fan of PCP for some reason but she said "it sounds like you got an itch to scratch so why not scratch it?".

I've priced up a Blue S 75 with Enhanced Autopilot and the figures look good. Just want to talk to my accountant as I've got a couple of options with running it through either my limited company or a partnership. Both have pro's and con's so will let him take a look.

Still not 100% going ahead, but it's looking very close to pulling the trigger.

29. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    ^ The 1.5% APR deal is really good. Had it been a option at the time we might have done it.

Don't forget to get a referral code for £750 off and free supercharing. Any current Tesla owners can give you one :).

30. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,915
    Yep, if I go ahead I'll be hunting down a referral code :)
    Does the current owner benefit from that too?