1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else with a Tesla ?

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by tfboy, Oct 21, 2016.

1. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    So have now got a new Model X on order to replace my written off car. Had to put some money to make it happen as our old X is no longer been made and was the cheapest car in the range, but overall it's about as 'fair' resolution as possible for all parties.

Now just have the long wait to take delivery (Again....) :).

[​IMG]

2. Garyman

Garyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Wow! Yeah I remember you saying you ordered your original X just before the brexit vote and by the time you took delivery, it was something like an extra £20+k?

Do you get to keep your hire X until new one arrives?

3. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,032
    Can you claim the difference off the other party as uninsured losses?

4. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    I paid £4.5K due to our car not been made anymore and the current 'base' car now been a 'betterment'. Overall price difference between our old car and the new one is around £16k!!

Currently am OK to keep the hire car till new car arrives.

5. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    Possibly, but am not out to make £££ from the crash, I just wanted to be back in a X and this was the 'fairest' way. The lawyers working for the accident claims company will explore all options regarding recovering costs, but I'm just glad I can be back in my own X at some point.

Having never been in this position before all I can say is I hope I'll never have to go through the same experience again :).

6. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,474
    It's not about making money , but surely is not about being out of pocket at the same time ....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,032
    Yep that's what I was referring to. Insurance will make you whole as it were and the seperate claim for uninsured losses means you aren't out of pocket. It's not like you are claiming medical expenses and so on @gangzoom. :)

8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36,822
    This may be a case they he can wait for a like for like replacement to come up on the second hand market (slim to no chance in the short term) or he can add a little to the pot and get a newer, better model. So he's not technically losing out, but it is £4.5K he wasn't planning on spending, an interesting conundrum.

9. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    ^^ So I had a grumpy letter from Admiral. One line really annoyed me

'....we are only responsible for the market value of the car at the time of the incident and not the costs of replacing it, which will be more.'

Hold on one second, my layman's interpretation of 'market value' would be the costs associated with getting a replacement car the same as mine at the time of the incident. But Admiral seem to think it's OK to offer a 'market value' which they even admit isn't enough to replace the car.....What a bunch of jokers!!

I'm glad my claim is now resolved from the replacement car side, I'm 100% sure my own insurance company will get the full costs of the new car back from Admiral regardless of what letters they send me.

The rest of the letter is essentially trying to intimate me into stopping the hire car agreement, the wording of which almost suggest I'm at fault for trying to claim anything regarding the claim.

I'm going to forward the letter on to the accident management company and let them deal with corresponding with Admiral.

10. DOBLY

DOBLY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    That's what you have paid (via your premium) for them to do.
    It really annoys me that they (the at fault's insurance company) send things to you - they should be sending them to the correct person at your insurance company (or their appointed representative) copying you for your information. It's a small but vitally important difference.

Hope it is all sorted out ASAP.

11. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Tesla have dropped the prices and shuffled all the packages around, was really annoyed at first especially as they now include air suspension as standard with the 75 models.

But it seems they have applied a £4800 discount to my order, so I am back to a zen like state and eagerly awaiting delivery of my Model S in around 3 or 4 weeks :D

12. krys83

krys83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello there,

I have been looking for some information on electric cars and found this thread. I am currently on the verge of changing car (have been driving ford mondeo mk4 2012 so far) and I am seriously thinking about tesla - I simply love the design.

However, as it is a major decision (Tesla costs a bit) - I wanted to make sure I know everything I need about electric cars.

What worries me the most is range - from what I have found in some sources, I will be able to drive 100-150 miles fully charged depending on the model.

Is it really that bad? Or in other words, do you feel the difference between traditional & electric cars in that particular matter?

Second thing - repair costs - found some posts where guy was saying he needed to pay like £9000 for a minor scratch.
    Could you guys shed some light on those issues? I love Tesla but at the same time I wouldn't like to end up spending astronomic amount of money on car maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017
  13. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    @krys83 I'll try to help as much as I can, the Tesla is a stupid amount of money to spend on a car, and though I could have afforded one back in 2015 I had enough 'worries' about both the car/brand I bought a Nissan Leaf to try first, just incase I didn't like the whole EV thing.

Range:

The range of any car depends on fuel tank size and efficiency. With electric cars instead of gallons and mpg you are looking at kWh (total electricity that can be stored in a battery) and miles per kWh.

Tesla have 70-100kWh sized battery packs , and in real life 3 miles per kWh is achieved in most conditions. So the maths will tell you the actual range on a Tesla is between 210-300 miles. If you decide to drive at 100mph everywhere than 100 miles range is probably right, but if your half sensible range is fine. Previously I had a Nissan Leaf that only managed 60 miles in winter but I still covered 14K miles in it with no issues.

It's also worth pointing out absolute range only matters on really long drives. Day to day if you charge the car at night range is non-issue in a Tesla. Even on longer trips the Tesla supercharging network is amazing. Each of these site have 6+ rapid chargers, which will add 150 miles of range in 30 minutes or less.

[​IMG]

Repairs:

This is probably a real concern, as Tesla spare parts have to come from Tesla and your tied into their main dealer network. Parts availability is also sketch, but improving. This will hopefully improve in future, but actually insurance on these cars is surprisingly OK.

For small repairs some smart repairers are now starting to work on Teslas, the Tesla facebook group is very helpful (but you need to have a car on order to join).

Longterm reliability is still an unknown, but actually the early US cars are now 5 years old, some have covered huge miles and no major maintenance costs. The battery and motor is covered by a 8 year unlimited miles warranty.

Tales from a Tesla Model S at 200k miles

Go and drive one!!

At the end of the day nothing beats a test drive and seeing the cars function in real life. I've had mine now for 4 months, have covered 6K miles and can honestly say its the best car I've ever owned, and I'll more than happily spend the same amount of money on the same car again....Am not just saying that either, my first Tesla was just written off in a crash, I had the option to take a cash settlement which was £3K MORE than what I paid for the car, but after looking at what else was on the market I declined the cash settlement instead paid another £4.5K so that I could have the identical car ordered again (but with a slight bigger battery)!!.....These are so good they are worth every penny.

[​IMG]

If you do buy new do make sure you order one using a referral code, as this gets £750 off the price and you get free supercharging on the car - If you need a code just PM me or any the other Tesla owners on here.

14. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,032
    For the Tesla they provide a very nice tool to see the range for each model as you change the speed and temperature and air con and tyre size. Scroll down this page and if on a mobile device turn to landscape - it doesn't show in portrait.

Model S | Tesla UK

Doesn't go to 100mph unfortunately - limited to the national speed limit :)

Haven't seen the equivalent for the lowly makes and models - you have to ask around here for people who own them to give a guide.

15. Mark F

Mark F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The last time I looked, there was something very similar on the Renault website for the Zoe. Staggering how much the range varies depending on speed, outside temperature and whether the heating/air con is in.

16. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36,822
    Unless you are a paid up acolyte of the Church of Tesla, then there may be less of an issue with these real world cars than you think. Even when we had those stupid near 30 deg temps turning off the aircon only offered us an extra 3 mile range.

17. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Not really that staggering, try using fuelly for a year and you'll see similar trends with a normal car.

Only difference is in a normal car the heating is from the engines wasted heat, with an EV it has to run a heater. Plus side to the EV is you can pre-heat in the morning from your phone while it's plugged into the charger :)

18. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,467
  19. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36,822
    Interesting, with that propped up tablet for a dashboard :devil:

20. krys83

krys83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    @gangzoom and everyone, thank you for detailed info - guess I will just give it a try :)

21. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,109
    I can see a real issue with that in this country.

How many are going to get broken into by knobheads who think you've left your iPad on the dashboard? It doesn't look integrated enough to me in the photos for it to be obvious to the casual thief.

22. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    The press reviews of the Model 3 have been all positive, bordering on fanatical.

Strangely as a current Tesla owner I cannot see the fuss with the 3, it doesn't do anything the current S/X cannot do, but than again the 3 isn't meant to better the S/X, its there to provide a lower price of entry into long range EV ownership.

The 300 mile range version at $44k before any kind of tax/government incentives is really good value, and on par with the cost of a BMW 340i which have similar performance.

Cannot wait to see what the 'P' and AWD models turn out like :).

23. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36,822
    I cannot see the fuss either, perhaps for different reasons. How is that boot going to appeal to the hatchback market? Clearly your X has a cavernous boot, but the one on the 3 looks more like a letterbox.

I get that the range and ride are awesome if you go for a $59K version, but how will the base model compete with not only the next generation of EV's over here but the ones available in 2019?

Don't get me wrong, they are laying down the gauntlet to everyone else, and that can only be a good thing :smashin:

24. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    The base version is $35k before incentives, comes with Autopilot 2.0 hardware, 0-60 time of 5.6 seconds and 200 miles of real life range.

There's nothing on the market or even horizon that comes close. The next gen Leaf is rumoured to be 180 miles real life range and woudlnt be much cheaper than $35k.

VAG have showned off a whole load of concept cars but nothing even close to production let alone delivery to customers.

The iPace will be here, but I bet you woudlnt get change from £70k for one, so pretty much Model S/X pricing.

Here in the UK the best alternative to the Model 3 in 2019 will be a used Model S.

25. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    You are right @IronGiant the boot is one of the things that really put me off and made me get a Model S rather than wait a few years for the 3.

That boot will be rubbish for anyone with a big dog, or who wants to throw in a mountain bike (road bike might fit OK), or like me needs to throw in a lawnmower (for my allotment) or something else tall. It used to annoy me with my Peugeot 107 that it was reasonable boot with seats down but the small glass door really restricted the ability to put things in, this would be even worse!

I think we'll be looking at £35,000+ for the Model 3 in this country, sure it's considerably cheaper than the S and X, and for the range and size it'll be good value compared with the Zoe and Leaf. But it's still not that affordable for the average person to buy outright, but on PCP I can see it attracting many of the people assuming we don't have a crackdown on car finance, which TBH might be a good thing as it's likely to be the next thing to cause a financial meltdown especially if tons of people start handing back diesels and walking away.

26. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +946
    I think the other major feature of the Model 3 appear to be safety. Having recently been in a fairly big accident in our X, seeing how just much better the Model 3 performs in crash tests versus a Volvo S60 is very reassuring.

[​IMG]

27. xafier

xafier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Those floor battery packs in the Tesla cars make for fantastic rigidity in collisions. One of the big bonuses to designing an EV from scratch rather than some of the token EV's with batteries in the boot area.

28. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,777
    Different people have different wants and desires...

I really wanted a Tesla S but as my wife would be the main driver she found it too 'business men' like. I really like the Tesla X prior to release, but then when I saw it in real life there was just no way we could spend our money on something that looks like that. We are going to have another go with the 3...It isn't not about the money but size and looks for us...And those are totally subjective criteria....

29. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,777
    The dog can go on the rear seat :) Or our Lab likes snuggling in the foot wells...

Are there any instruments like a HUD in front of the drivers view? It isn't clear from the pictures...Surely it can't all be on the screen in the middle?

30. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,777
    Been watching a few videos and it doesn't look like it :( I've only just about come to terms to forgive Mercedes to install a fake iPad in our GLC43 but aren't sure at all about having to move my head to look on a 15" screen in the middle of the car for vital information.