1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else using Power Mac G4 for video editing?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Tunes Man, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently invested in a Power Mac G4 1250 mini tower solely for use in video editing. So far I'm pleased with the results. I'm using "Final Cut Express" video editing software which is quite complex but produces professional video productions. So far, I haven't read a whole lot of posts of people who are using this software, or Macs for that matter, and am curious to hear from those who are. I've used pcs for years and still enjoy using them, but I've been intrigued by Macs and had been curious to see how they operate with video editing. There's a rumor that I've heard for a long time that Macintosh computers are especially excellant when it comes to producing video, and that they have less problems than pcs in that area.
    Anyway, any Mac users out there feel free to express your opinions.

Tunesman.

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I've used a mac for about 8 years or so. I used to design a lot of mutlimedia and kiosk type things and edit all my video using Premier - was taught editing on Premier, used it for years and very rarely had any problems with it even on quite low-end macs. My work has shifted over to web and print based designs and I rarely use video these days - but I have tinkered with FCPro a few times when I've needed to (purchased it for a project I was working on, with the intention of selling it on after the job finished... still have it sat here tho). I have a CD rom to produce in the new year and that may use video so it might be an excuse to polish up my FCPro skills. Hopefully.

Currently use an ageing G4 733 Quicksilver (1.2gb of ram, 2x80gb HD, twin display) but will probably upgrade in the new year, funds permitting.

3. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tomson, sounds like you're an old pro as far as Macs are concerned. I'm still getting used to mine. Since I'm only using it for
    video editing though, it's pretty much cut and dry as far as knowing what to do to get started with the program. It is different
    in some ways compared to operating a pc though, but I enjoy working with it. My machine is fairly new, but down the line I plan on putting in some more memory. I've got about 768 megs of memory in it right now, but it will take up to two gigs.
    Final Cut Express is rather complicated to learn to use, but I'm getting the hang of it, and the results are very nice.
    Got to go. Thanks for your input.

Tunesman.