Anyone else tired Stadia yet?

gangzoom

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Not tried Stadia before but got an email about a free trial, and ongoing cost is only £8.99/month so why not try it.

Didn't expect much, but actually very surprisingly playbale and given I needed to spend exactly £0 on new hardware am very tempted to keep it going after the free trial.

Destiny 2 running beautifully on a 2013 MacBookPro.

50058957463_5473130274_c_d.jpg

GRID on my S9 with cheapo Bluetooth controller also worked great.

50059412501_0892267781_c_d.jpg

50058839173_f790d02d9e_c_d.jpg

Very little latency, similar/better than old UT/Counter strike days from the 00s. Game access/install times are also very impressive and easy, there also appears to be cloud syncing between devices/games.

50058839143_b134ac8073_c_d.jpg

Overall given I needed to spend exactly £0 on new hardware am very tempted to keep it going after the free trial.

Anyone else tried the service?

Quick play before the nursery run....realised a track pad isn't going to work with Elder Scrolls, no ability to do right/left clicks properly.....

50061147197_0c4915c453_c.jpg

...GRID though worked fine with just the keyboard.

No am not serious gamer anymore, but been able to access these AAA title on a 2013 laptop, with £0 upfront cost is pretty good. Google have a winner on their hands - Off to get a mesh WiFi setup for the house :)

50061167017_3474553d07_c.jpg

It’s a good service for someone like yourself who doesn’t game much, but most regular gamers would rather pay for local hardware to run games on. With Stadia for the higher quality tier I have to pay a monthly fee and then pay for the game itself, no thanks.

Had a few hours free yesterday so got stuck into GRID and Destiny. Overall am very happy with Stadia for my needs, by my ISP may not be so happy though, can anyone tell when I first started my Stadia trial?

Lets see how 'unlimited' their unlimited service is :).

50074319321_31fbe3fb1e_c_d.jpg

I found lots of input lag and stutter running on sky bb 50mb not a nice experience for me

It's a brilliant service for those who don't want to invest in expensive hardware and don't game as much as they used to. Stadia pro is offering exceptional value with all the games that have been added over the last few months.

My only criticism would be that AAA titles have been thin on the ground and there doesn't seem to be masses of games on the horizon either. I already hate the fact that I can't play the last of us 2 after selling my PS4 but in saying that, I barely played my PlayStation anyway.

As for lag and stuttering, go wired if you can. If that's not an option, make sure you connect over 5ghz and have as strong a connection as possible. Stadia worked perfect for me when I was on a 65/8 connection over 5ghz with bt. Now full fibre over a wired connection and it never misses a beat.

So yesterday I bought my first game on Stadia - F1 2020. Probably the first game I've paid the full RRP in for ages, but hey why not.

Had it up and running within 30 seconds of pressing the 'Buy' button, and was diving into a wet Singapore GP in minutes.

Not sure I'll keep the 'pro' subscription going as I've realised Destiny 2 isn't for me, and F1 2020 is so much better than Grid.

Went onto the F1 2020 forums briefly, loads of moaning about crashes and FPS rates etc, so glad with Stadia there is no worries about that.

If Google can keep up a good supply of games am 100% sold. Cyberpunk will be my next purchase on Stadia, at which point I will have spent more £££ on games in 6 months than I have done in the last 5 years. Which ultimately I suspect is what Google is hoping to do with Stadia, generate revenue from an audience group who wouldn't have normally been reachable.

From my point of view £50 on a game versus say £25 for a discounted PC or console version is more, but am running a 2013 MacBook Pro and have no intention of getting a next gen console. A new MacBook is about £3k, and the only thing a new one can do mine cannot for me would be running games alot better........So £25 extra for new games (with no install time/storage worries) versus £3k on a new laptop?? Makes justifying buying new games so much easier:).

50124984843_3c6ef4459a_c_d.jpg

Last edited:
I found lots of input lag and stutter running on sky bb 50mb not a nice experience for me

Was that using a Sky WiFi router? I only have a ture speed of 35mb and no issues at all. When my BB contract expires am going to up the speed to 40-50mb.

Was that using a Sky WiFi router? I only have a ture speed of 35mb and no issues at all. When my BB contract expires am going to up the speed to 40-50mb.
yes a sky q router mate

F1 2020 works really well on my S9 over WiFi with TP link router. Great thing about cross platform is I can continue a session carried over from one device to another with no issues.....excuse the bad driving, hard to do with one hand :).

It’s a good service for someone like yourself who doesn’t game much, but most regular gamers would rather pay for local hardware to run games on. With Stadia for the higher quality tier I have to pay a monthly fee and then pay for the game itself, no thanks.
I think this is a misunderstanding of the product, all gaming companies charge monthly costs to access online multiplayer, free monthly membership games and discounts on game purchases. Stadia offers the same plan, but with the perk of higher tech specs than its competitors.

There is also no hardware cost upfront if you don't need to pay, e.g, you don't need to buy a console to access the storefront to buy games and play them on a device.

Stadia offers the ability to just buy a game and play it, on most devices, anywhere, using equipment you already own.

The only cost involved is the cost of buying a game, playing it is free - you don't need to buy a console or high spec laptop or phone to play unlike existing platforms.

I think this is a misunderstanding of the product, all gaming companies charge monthly costs to access online multiplayer, free monthly membership games and discounts on game purchases. Stadia offers the same plan, but with the perk of higher tech specs than its competitors.

There is also no hardware cost upfront if you don't need to pay, e.g, you don't need to buy a console to access the storefront to buy games and play them on a device.

Stadia offers the ability to just buy a game and play it, on most devices, anywhere, using equipment you already own.

The only cost involved is the cost of buying a game, playing it is free - you don't need to buy a console or high spec laptop or phone to play unlike existing platforms.

It’s just a service where the key features have little appeal to me. If I buy a game anywhere else it doesn’t suddenly stop working at the highest graphical fidelity when I stop subscribing to PSN or XBL, that’s far from being the same plan as others.

Buying hardware is what most gamers far prefer to do, It gives us the best of both worlds we have the ability to play games locally and we can stream them when we don’t have access to our hardware.

Then there’s the established gaming networks with thousands of games available and all our friends, achievements all part of the ecosystem, I’m not going to give that up to start gaming on Stadia. Do Stadia even support crossplay with other PC platforms yet?, or is it a case of playing Destiny with the three other Stadia players and not being able to even find a game in Crucible.

I've spent more money on games with Stadia in 1 month than the last 12 months for my Xbox.

At first I was reluctant to pay the rrp for F1 2020 on Stadia but than I realised am actually playing more games on Stadia now than I have done on my Xbox.

Time is the most valuable commodity to me, been able to put in a few flying laps at Monaco between Teams meetings opens up a whole new gaming opportunity.

Am absolutely loving Stadia, no need to worry about downloading stuff, not tied to the TV in the living room, runs perfectly on my work PC, and it'll mutlisave across devices. For all these benefits I don't mind paying near full price for games, though Assassin Creed is currently £18 on Stadia and Ghost Recon £16. Though am not going to buy either as F1 2020 and Destiny 2 is keeping me busy till Cyberpunk comes out :).

I have to admit I wasn’t sure about this but after trying it free due to being a YouTube premium user I was impressed.

I have tried it on my TV but how do I use it on an iPhone and iPad when there is no dedicated app? Any issues playing on these devices?

I have to admit I wasn’t sure about this but after trying it free due to being a YouTube premium user I was impressed.

I have tried it on my TV but how do I use it on an iPhone and iPad when there is no dedicated app? Any issues playing on these devices?

There will be iOS support in the form of web apps coming soon. There is an app called Stadium that can run it in the meantime.

I'm just waiting on my joypad arriving in the post so I can try it out. I took advantage of the Cyberpunk offer, hopefully it's worth it. Does anyone know if you can connect headphones to the official controller so all sounds is played through them, target than just multiplayer communications?

Cheers

I'm just waiting on my joypad arriving in the post so I can try it out. I took advantage of the Cyberpunk offer, hopefully it's worth it. Does anyone know if you can connect headphones to the official controller so all sounds is played through them, target than just multiplayer communications?

Cheers
I'll check for you in a moment or two, but, it seems that it's designed to play game audio, so I am going to go out on a limb and say it will!

Cheers
Confirmed audio through controller, including settings on the Stadia button to control volume :)

Also, it can drive my Sennheiser HD599 reasonably...but not amazingly. It's loud, like - but not as well rounded as a headphone amp (not surprisingly).

Chromecast arrived today, but before ponying up the £8.99/month for 4K I wanted to see how much difference it makes. I have ‘Pro’ subscription running on a spare Stadia account and thought I test the visual difference on Hitman 2.

These are done with one using my laptop at 1080p and one with Chromecast at 4K.

50678748893_99f825eedc_h.jpg

50719504777_5ee4d26827_h.jpg

This is the screen shot at 4K, the 4K version has more resolution but the texture details are identical – and in some cases not as good as Xbox version of the game.

50718763153_42d34456dd_h.jpg

50718835923_6e821d1706_h.jpg

50679500796_e1eac1ba87_h.jpg

So thanks Goolge for the ‘free’ Chromecast and controller, love been able to play Cyberpunk on my TV without connecting the laptop and the controller isn’t bad at all. But I wouldn’t be signing up to ‘Pro’ subscription, yes you get higer res but not higher quality textures, and when your sitting a few meter back 1080p even on a 50inch screen looks absolutely fine!

Overall very happy with Stadia and Cyberpunk with Chromecast ultra on a 50inch OLED screen :)

50719028461_034a125d43_h.jpg

50718292378_6a8b3522cb_h.jpg

Chromecast arrived today, but before ponying up the £8.99/month for 4K I wanted to see how much difference it makes. I have ‘Pro’ subscription running on a spare Stadia account and thought I test the visual difference on Hitman 2.

These are done with one using my laptop at 1080p and one with Chromecast at 4K.

50678748893_99f825eedc_h.jpg

50719504777_5ee4d26827_h.jpg

This is the screen shot at 4K, the 4K version has more resolution but the texture details are identical – and in some cases not as good as Xbox version of the game.

50718763153_42d34456dd_h.jpg

50718835923_6e821d1706_h.jpg

50679500796_e1eac1ba87_h.jpg

So thanks Goolge for the ‘free’ Chromecast and controller, love been able to play Cyberpunk on my TV without connecting the laptop and the controller isn’t bad at all. But I wouldn’t be signing up to ‘Pro’ subscription, yes you get higer res but not higher quality textures, and when your sitting a few meter back 1080p even on a 50inch screen looks absolutely fine!

Overall very happy with Stadia and Cyberpunk with Chromecast ultra on a 50inch OLED screen :)

50719028461_034a125d43_h.jpg

50718292378_6a8b3522cb_h.jpg
Yes I think I echo some of this in terms of the 4k as I paid the £9 to give it a go. Some general improvement yes, but definitely not a massive jump up. As you say - some distance from TV and it's a moot point.

Have to say, compared to April/May when I gave it a shot, it's not really stuttered at all apart from the global outage today!

Confirmed audio through controller, including settings on the Stadia button to control volume :)

Also, it can drive my Sennheiser HD599 reasonably...but not amazingly. It's loud, like - but not as well rounded as a headphone amp (not surprisingly).

Perfect, many thanks for going the extra mile, much appreciated.

regarding the money to bump from Free to Pro. I have today just started to make use of my free three months of trying PRO out (Google One). Must say that I have not connected it to a 4K set, just a standard 1080 in the spare room and I'm impressed, I guess from my point of view, the money will not be for the extra textures/graphical bump, but for the catalogue of "free" games. I see the worth there, the rest would simply be the icing on the cake.

R

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom