Anyone else think N64 is most underated console ever?

robfosters

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just reminiscing. I used to have both PS1 and N64 and my PS1 barely got a look in. The hours I lost to Mario, Goldeneye, LOZ ocarina of time and the greatest ever, ISS, which I believe was a predecessor of Pro Evo.

I think it pipped PS1 in graphics and goldeneye and iss were just about the finest multiplayer games around. Especially as it came with 4 joypad ports (masterstroke).

Taken from wiki "1997's Golden Eye 007, was nominated by Marc Russo as one of the greatest games of all time, and, in his words, remains "to this day . . . the finest game I've ever played across any platform or genre".[26] Its release was exclusive to the Nintendo 64 system"

In fact, If I can get one cheap, I may buy it again just for the nostalgia value.

i remember trading mine in for a gamecube.....
oh the regrets

The problem Nintendo always had against Sega (and then Sony) was that they never had a huge library of games. I always ignored that because having owned most of Nintendo's consoles in the past (no Wii yet - I'm still fighting the urge!) I knew I was getting the most original games to enjoy. The N64 stood out from previous Nintendo consoles (even more than the Gamecube) because of Super Mario 64, Goldeneye and Zelda. Yes, most of the games were a bit "cutesy" (Diddy Kong racing, Banjo etc.) but they were challenging and most titles proved value for money. I still play ISS 98 and Goldeneye from time to time. The graphics look awful now but are still highly playable.

I traded in my PS1 for a Nintendo 64 and no matter how much I tried to convince myself I'd done the right thing I regretted it. I'm not saying it was a bad console, at the time the controller was amazing, for multi player gaming it couldn't be beaten and it had some cracking games but these were few and far between and some of the "classics" just didn't do anything for me. I must have quit and went back to Zelda maybe four times and I just didn't get Goldeneye.

And the N64 introduced me to the lowest point in my gaming life. I bought Mission Impossible and after playing that I gave up on gaming for several years. It was only after picking up Half Life in a bargain bin in a Gamestation that I found any interest in gaming again.

This is probably not going to be a popular post but those are my memories of the N64.

Most underrated console ever for me = gamepark or possible sega game gear. Loved that bit of kit.

Or maybe the dreamcast.

Shenmue 3.... will we ever see you.... :(

And the N64 introduced me to the lowest point in my gaming life. I bought Mission Impossible and after playing that I gave up on gaming for several years. It was only after picking up Half Life in a bargain bin in a Gamestation that I found any interest in gaming again.

Conversely, the N64 introduced properly to console gaming, and I've not stopped since. My first go of Goldeneye - shooting proper 3D people with proper guns rather than the Doom sprites - blew me away; I had to get one. My then GF bought me one for Xmas and it was great from then on; Mario 64; ISS64 (the only footy game I've ever really enjoyed); Zelda; Majora; Shadowman; Perfect Dark (still the best offline shooter ever); Body Harvest (the missing link to GTA); F1 etc. etc.

I don't know it's the most underrated console ever - that award would probably go to the DC - but it was vastly superior to the PS1, yet often seems maligned when compared with it.

Oh, and of course my then GF became my wife....

Some of the best games ever made appeared on that console imo, all by rare and nintendo though mario 64, donkey kong 64, Conkers bad fur day, banjo kazooie, banjo tooie (best platformer ever imo), goldeneye, perfect dark (best fps ever again imo), Both Zelda and majoras mask, Mariokart 64, Diddy kong racing, Blastcorps, if it had nintendo or better still rare on the box it was more or less a guaranteed gem.

I agree i loved my N64 and it runs close to the snes for best gaming era imo.
Games like starfox, Mario64, Blast corps, Goldeneye, Mr Nutz, Banjo Kazooie, Mariokart64, Diddy kong racing, DK64, waverace to name a few!

I remember the first day i bought goldeneye and thought it was the best game ever. Still to this day its probably my favourite fps game of all time.

I don't think it was underrated, just that the PSX was overrated.

If anything, the Sega Saturn was a bit mistreated which meant a lot of potential was lost there, I call that underrated.

I don't think anyone can say that the ps1 was overrated.

It was solely responsible for the revolution in the video games industry we witness today.

I wont argue that the PS1 will probably go down as the important console ever. It's the only console ever to have shifted over 100 million units. It kicked off with a great selection of games, whilst N64 really only kicked off with Mario and Pilotwings.

Plus the PS1 was the first ever console to be aimed at adults, rather than just children (that helped), and once the mod chips arrived on the scene!.

My main argument of the post was that the while the PS1 got the recognition it deserved, the N64 did not and me, and quite a few (a lot) of gamers honestly enjoyed their time more on an N64 than a PS1 and to me, that is the acid test of the quality of a games console.

Anyway, it was better than my first 64bit console, the dreaded Atari Jaguar. A frustrating, crap console combined with a house brick of a controller in the hands of a ****** off 14 year old was not a great combination. Our cat had a few close shaves :devil:

Just reminiscing. I used to have both PS1 and N64 and my PS1 barely got a look in. The hours I lost to Mario, Goldeneye, LOZ ocarina of time and the greatest ever, ISS, which I believe was a predecessor of Pro Evo.

I think it pipped PS1 in graphics and goldeneye and iss were just about the finest multiplayer games around. Especially as it came with 4 joypad ports (masterstroke).

Taken from wiki "1997's Golden Eye 007, was nominated by Marc Russo as one of the greatest games of all time, and, in his words, remains "to this day . . . the finest game I've ever played across any platform or genre".[26] Its release was exclusive to the Nintendo 64 system"

In fact, If I can get one cheap, I may buy it again just for the nostalgia value.

Great console BUT.... i hav to say the DreamCast is the most under rated console ever.....i still shed a tear for sega :suicide:

give me a Sega unit over any of the Sony crap any day i would rather have my games near arcade perfect rather than stripped down

The N64 was a sweat machine but that pad just isnt worth rating how could they go from the sleek SNES pad for that freakish controller

I say no, N64 wasn't and isn't underrated because most people who are really into games (& old enough!) will say that N64 had one of the best ever collections of games available for it, and amongst its' peers it was definitively the best console.

Last edited:
i remember trading mine in for a gamecube.....
oh the regrets

hehehe not compared to what i encountered

SNES for a Panasonic 3DO :(

I still got my n64,and still use it.and a ps1 and most of the others,i just cant part with them,i still love the snes.the carts was a great idea for kids,discs damage so easy.i tend to go by the game rather than a console,there are great games on all consoles :)

I purchased my N64 on release in March 1997 (cost around £300 with a separate copy of Super Mario 64!), and I still play on it every now and again.
At the time it seemed more fashionable to own a Playstation, but I really couldn't get over the fact that the Playstation provided a somewhat shallow gaming experience (bar the odd RPG). Quality over quantity is what the N64 will be remembered for.

The N64 had its place, for sure. Underrated, probably not as those in the know played some of the greatest games ever seen on a console, even by today's standards.

My little boy loves it, his DS has now taken a back seat to him playing Mario 64 and Mario Kart. :D

the N64 was a great console.

remember seeing it on gamesmaster for the 1st time and it looked the part.
so when it was finally released, and getting mario, then Turok WOW it was gaming heaven, the Goldeneye came along.:clap:

so many memories (currenlty reliving after rebuying a load of N64 stuff)

Zelda MM & OOT
Goldeneye
Turok
Perfect Dark
Starfox
Mario Kart
Killer Instinct
Rouge Squadren

and the likes, glad i have them all back (and more) to enjoy again

most underated console as far as i'm concerned was the atari jaguar...rubbish controller but some of the games..aliens vs predator was awesome when it first came out....

Me too i traded my snes for the 3DO which to be fair wasn't to bad a machine it just wasn't a patch on the snes!!!

GOD i miss play syndicate wars and secrets of mana lol:oops:

I wouldn't say the N64 was an underrated console, just that it had some very underrated games. I've never been a fan of any particular console (what use is a console on its own?), I just go where the games are - so these days I have a gaming PC, a 360, PS2, PS3, PSP, DS and Wii, but back in the days of the PSX and N64 I could only afford one. I bought a PSX and have never regretted it. For every good game on the N64 there were 5 on the PSX. Despite being, in most ways, a technically superior console it was limited by its storage media, still using games cartridges which may have offered faster loading times but meant that the console missed out on the huge storage capacities that CDs offered, allowing for high quality video and audio that many PSX games had (and the major factor leading to Squaresoft switching the Final Fantasy series to Sony's consoles). Certain games that came out on both consoles were much better on the PSX (Command & Conquer and Resident Evil 2 spring to mind). As a gamer you're seriously missing out if you hadn't played on an N64, but you would be missing out on more if you hadn't played on a PSX. As always with Nintendo it was quality over quantity.

Personally, I got my fill of Goldeneye by playing it at a friend's house (both single and multiplayer), then later played Perfect Dark on a housemate's N64. When I had a GameCube I made sure I got the Zelda Collector's Edition to play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask and I've played Super Mario 64 on the DS. I only wish that Nintendo would make better use of the Wii's Virtual Console to bring more N64 games to those of us who missed out on having the actual console but want to play the games.

Ha you fool i ve still got my 3do and loads of games but lets face it you can count the number of decent games on 1 hand.
Most underated Dreamcast

I just got an N64 with 6 games for £20 at gamestation

problem is, I don't want to use the RF lead for it, what's the best cable released for it? even though it uses the same AV socket as the GC, the RGB scart I tried gave me a black screen while the sound still worked grrr , using a CG composite scart lead someone lent me now but thats barely any better then the RF one, at least it didn't take me 10mins to remember how to tune a TV channel again lol my N64 isn't touching my HDTV till I sort this :(

any help guys? :)

didn't want to start a new thread just for this lol, its my first N64 and I'm enjoying my first ever go at Goldeneye

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom