Question Anyone else think 6music is going down the pan?

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by steve sph, Aug 6, 2019.

1. steve sph

steve sph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Now first let me state - for me this is still the best music station on the airwaves, and when it faced extinction 10 years ago I was distraught, but lately it's become incredible stale and 'Smashy and Nicey'.
    Let's start with the breakfast show and Lauren Laverne - I doubt there are words in the incredible panoply of the English language to describe how annoying she is - but I'll make a stab at it - she sounds like a not-very-bright six year old who's overdone the Haribo and fizzy drinks.
    Treats her audience like simpletons and could waffle on for slightly longer than eternity yet never say anything remotely interesting or thought-provoking.
    Mary Anne Hobbs follows, and she's one of the brighter stars in the 6music firmament - knowledgeable, enthusiastic and plays an eclectic mix of weird and wonderful tunes.
    She can stay.
    Then we have Shaun Keaveny - to save me typing just imagine a male version of Lauren Laverne and you're in the right place - tries to be funny but has all the wit and personality of damp cardboard.
    Next up Steve Lamacq, who I liked when he wrote for NME but now he just plays the same tedious white boy alt-rock and I can imagine him looking wistfully out of the studio window, googling his pension plan and counting down the minutes until his slot finishes.
    Which brings us the likeable but incredibly forced Marc 'did I ever tell you I was in The Fall?' Riley, who basically plays the same five records on a loop and thinks he's being 'wacky' by dropping a Sugarbabes track.
    No Marc - you're not being 'wacky', you're being a prat, so just stop it.
    Gideon Coe gets a pass because he plays more than he talks, which is kinda the raison d'etre of a DJ on a music station.
    Tom Robinson is the exact opposite - launches into rambling anecdotes that are about as exciting as an overdose of Ovaltine and plays about three records an hour.
    Of which two will be crap.
    Tom Ravenscroft is ok but tries too hard to be his dad, Nemone plays some great dance music which I'd love if I was 16, that bloke out of Red Dwarf plays the kind of bland soul and funk they used to play in 70's night clubs and that's about it.
    In my opinion they need some new blood and a thorough shake-up.
    That, and despatching Lauren Laverne to Cbeebies where her gushing drivel may find a more sympathetic audience.
    Anyway, rant over and breathe - if you've made it this far then well done and I'd welcome your views, if I haven't bored you into a coma by now.

2. Kailash

Kailash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    i really don't listen to it enough to comment
    i'm glad it's still around though as i could never listen to radio 1 and the like. if i'm not listening to radio 4 or my ipod i'll go to 6music
    i find if i listen to anything a lot though i get bored and annoyed with the presenters / format of the show or whatever because you've heard it all before. do you take a break from it or jump onto some internet radio stations...?

3. garlandjon

garlandjon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I disagree love Lauren, she's been doing it for years, loves music, knowledgeable and plays an eclectic lineup. Not a big fan of Marc or Steve so I'll usually switch stations on them but they may be some people's cup of tea.