Anyone else stopped watching the News?

HMHB

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Doom, gloom, death, destruction, disaster, bad news etc blah blah blah. That's all the news seems to be these days so I stopped watching it a little while ago and feel better for it. I've looked on the main BBC News site today and am struggling to find any story that's based on some good news, they just seem to revel in stabbings, bad economy news and disasters. There's no wonder everyone is so miserable and worried about the future.

Has anyone else stopped watching the news or stopped buying newspapers? I stopped buying papers years ago as I was fed up with them.

I've stopped. I gave up buying papers years ago, but now I don't watch the news at all, and I hardly ever check it online either. I have a enough doom and gloom in my own life so I don't want to be reading about other peoples as well.

Same here fella, stopped buying papers ages ago, and the news is just depressing, I'd rather live in blissful ignorance :D.
I also think the news and the papers share some responsibility for the economic doom,how many people stop spending so much because of what they've seen or read about the state of the economy, when there's no need for them to ?

Can't stand the mainstream BBC1/ITV news bulletins at all, especially with the recent royal stent drama and the likes of Nicholas Fricking Witchell talking 100% speculative cack for most of the programme

The last time I made an effort to watch the UK news was when the riots where on, I watch the other news channels more then our own. I especially like NHK HD and RT as they show things the others don't, NHK had a good program about North Korea this morning.

I find watching the news channels closer to where the event is taking place to be more informative.

I have just spent 15 weeks in Asia. I had a wonderful time

Whenever I (reluctantly) checked my Sky News app to see what was going on in the world, I felt sad as the news was overwhelmingly negative. It was depressive. I began to avoid checking it

Ignorance most certainly was bliss

I've not bothered with newspapers for 5 - 6 years now and watch the news perhaps once or twice a week.
I contribute a few stories now and then to my local paper, but just like the mainstream, they do sometimes change things around and add stuff that was not reported.

The french seem to have a good system. If there is any good news, they will start the bulletin with that. So yesterday it was that there was (finally) a good dollop of snow and the ski resorts were all open. Other examples would be, for example, the French National team in something winning, a TGV breaking records, anything really. But it is nice to start what everyone knows will be gloom and doom with a feel good story.

I find watching the news channels closer to where the event is taking place to be more informative.

Al Jazeera's coverage of the Arab Spring, in particular the uprising in Cairo, has been very good.

Same for me really.

Don't read papers, don't look online, may just catch the actual headlines at 6 sometimes.

Unless it's something like "we are going to be starting the war tonight" type event, I can't be arsed

Same reasons here, I just can't stand all the bad news. All it does is either depress me or wind me up and there is nothing I can do about anything so why bother?

The majority of news outlets in this country revel in bad news. I quite enjoy reading the Guardian Sport but their news offering is riddled with constant pandering towards negativity, taking delight in the global crisis and constantly talking down the economy. It's not just the Guardian it's pretty much all the newspapers.

I enjoy watching Channel 4 news as it reports matters in a sensible manner without resorting to sensationalism. BBC news (on TV) seems to be increasingly suffering from “dumb down syndrome” ensuring it has few redeeming qualities.

Irrespective of the weaknesses of our news outlets, I am happy to have our press rather than be subject to something like Fox news in America.

Last edited:
Most of the bad news concerns other countries (natural disasters, Arab spring, oppression of civilians by remaining dictators), so it makes you look really, really Western when you say you cannot bear to pick up the paper or watch the news :)

Happy New Year

I think that's a somewhat questionable statement of yours considering the dire news reported concerning our own country on a daily basis, in conjunction with the negative news of other nations which quite often does implicate us in some way or another

Happy New Year to you also :)

It's like the recession, it's almost as if everyone talked their way into it.

They should just for fun on the BBC News say attention everyone, there is no sugar shortage. Please don't go out and panic buy, there is no need to be concerned, there is enough sugar for everyone.

And see what happens ;)

I still try to catch the news, usually only from BBC or RTE (Irish). Rest of them are too trashy.

I haven't bought a newspaper in about 10yrs. I don't care much for soaps, reality TV, sports stars antics or celebs, which is the staple diet of newspapers these days from what I can see.

I just check out AV Forums GC. Anythink worth its salt is normally discussed here,and its more interesting. Never bother with the TV anymore.

I used to listen to London talk station LBC every day but soon realised that their entire broadcasting content is based on negativity, listening to too much of this radio station really does have the effect of souring your outlook on the country as a whole.
I now listen to radio2 and I feel a lot happier for doing so. :)

I haven't watched it for years. I get all my info from news websites. The TV news just seems to be a compendium of things someone thinks you should know about. After you see the main news (which is always politics, natural disasters, environment etc), it then descends into some irrelevant ramble about some tripe which I don't care about (concrete erosion on some seafront I have no interest in, or some lawsuit about where mince pies came from, or who is getting married/divorced/cheated on in celeb world etc). Yuck.

Oh and another thing, what's with the utterly garish, vulgar and luminescent colour schemes on the sets?

I gave up newspapers and watching the news about 8 years ago because it was all bad news and badly reported and all designed to shock and upset.
I sometimes use the BBC news website but that is just for the science section.

Gave up reading newspapers, watching news, now dont watch eastenders & corrie.

Been with family over Xmas and they watched eastenders, god they now how to write a cheery story.

Been with family over Xmas and they watched eastenders, god they now how to write a cheery story.

Hope you got a lethal injection for chrimbo present, would come in handy...top yourself rather than being forced to watch eastenders as family lol.

Don't really pay attention to it now. The media are our worst enemy in getting over the current troubles. They rejoice when bad news about the economy comes out and overplay points that really shouldn't even be mentioned.

The industry I work in is doing very well despite the negative position portrayed by the media.

turned to alternative media some time ago, fed up with the bbc spin and propaganda.
I use news sites now like a compare news .com.
It amazes me how a single story can be spun so many different ways depending on the sites poltical or comercial bias.
By comparing a few sites both mainstream and alternative the truth tends run down the middle of the two, though i admit i have become a Maxkeiser.com and infowar.com junky which can be depressing but somehow has an air of truth about it.( ok so max Keiser can be pretty funny too)

really i see mainstream news more of a tool to sway public opinion. sad but true

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom