• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anyone else SICK of labour bleating about the budget?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
I'm traditionally a labour supporter, but I was sick of their anti-budget bleating as soon as Harman stood up for the budget reply.
Message to labour - just shut up, you sound whiney and we need a united country, not petty, pointless bickering right now.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I'm just sick of labour full stop.

D

Deleted member 293381

This is what the opposition do!

If they were quiet and accepting then they would not be Labour.

By the way, are they still called 'New Labour' or have they reverted back to plain old 'Labour'?

Citizen J

I'm traditionally a labour supporter, but I was sick of their anti-budget bleating as soon as Harman stood up for the budget reply.
Message to labour - just shut up, you sound whiney and we need a united country, not petty, pointless bickering right now.

I am also majority of the time a labour supporter but Harriett Harman speaks absolute drivel.

I am surprised people thought the same as when I was listening I thought it was just me. What she was saying made no sense whatsoever. How did she reach the conclusion that because of this budget there will be more people out of work?!?!

mundstick

To be honest I am sick of the bickering and name calling. All Harriet Harman seemed to do was have a pop at Lib Dem for not sticking to their original proposals.

She does realise that Lib Dem did not win the election doesnt she?? Obviously they are going to have to concede on a lot of their policies etc to push some through. Grow up Harriet, if you want to moan keep it about the policies.

S Bibby

How did she reach the conclusion that because of this budget there will be more people out of work?!?

That argument has been going on for a long time.. but seriously, Labour are the only party who can oppose legislation - I know Clegg gets his own questions but what do you think the answers are likely to be?

Sonic67

Banned
I'd prefer it if they grew up a bit and praised some stuff they agreed with and opposed other stuff they didn't instead of Harperson ranting on like a hysterical dalek.

If the country wasn't so screwed it wouldn't be being done.

S Bibby

I'd prefer it if they grew up a bit and praised some stuff they agreed with and opposed other stuff they didn't instead of Harperson ranting onlike a hysterical dalek.

You mean like the Tories did ie. the windfall tax/minimum wage/NI/interest rates will bankrupt business and force people out of the country? The 'run on the pound' remarks? Knocking public spending into the long grass? The only thing they agreed on was Iraq, and look how that turned out.

Sonic67

Banned
You mean like the Tories did ie. the windfall tax/minimum wage/NI/interest rates will bankrupt business and force people out of the country? The 'run on the pound' remarks? Knocking public spending into the long grass? The only thing they agreed on was Iraq, and look how that turned out.

Some of your stuff was from years ago. Cameron at least tried to alter things so that he would back Labour on what he agreed with and criticise what he didn't.

Besides saying, ‘look, look what they did.’ Isn’t any better.

Are you going to back Labour in every single thread? Mandy is that you?

S Bibby

Are you going to back Labour in every single thread? Mandy is that you?

I thought you started off by saying that Labour should agree with the government, how many of our opposition politicians have ever done that? If they don't oppose the coalition we might as well shut up parliament for good. Even during the post-war consensus the opposition would go over the smallest details - nationalisation, tax, savings, spending, social policy, foreign policy, race relations etc. If I agreed with everything Labour proposed I wouldn't have criticised them on immigration, defence, education and so on. I was completely opposed to Iraq, didn't believe a word of it and told everyone not to vote for Blair in 2005. It was bad enough listening to all those planted questions to the PM when Labour were in power, now we've got the same from the two other parties.

Last edited:

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
I thought you started off by saying that Labour should agree with the government, how many of our opposition politicians have ever done that? If they don't oppose the coalition we might as well shut up parliament for good.

I think parliament should be a bit more grown up, rather than rattling on about opposing the government on everything instead they looked at the facts and presented all the downsides, when the up sides quite clearly outpaced the downsides then you'd imagine it would have an almost universal vote and visa versa.

Of course we have party whips that means the majority of MPS vote with whatever the leader says and with this current stand-in leader and her quite clearly blinkered view on the world.
This entrenches the government MPs to always vote with their leaders so always win with its majority and the opposition will always try to vote down laws ineffectively.
The opposition does nothing in fact its pretty much a farce.

If instead they engaged their (brain) in some debate it might sway some people either way (Bring on the free vote and abolish whips).

Last edited:

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
The opposition should, broadly speaking, oppose the government - that's the definition of what they do. But the kinds of cuts and tax increases they have announced are going to affect everyone. We need some Dunkirk spirit, not petty arguing.
I couldn't have been less impressed if Harman had stuck two fingers up, spat on Osborne and run out in a huff.

Pinko

Banned
This is what the opposition do!

If they were quiet and accepting then they would not be Labour.

By the way, are they still called 'New Labour' or have they reverted back to plain old 'Labour'?

Maybe they should go with 'Leper' after the last 13 years :rolleyes:

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Its the naturte of [politics in this country.When Labour were in the Tories constantly sniped never giving them credit for anything, so expect Labour to do the same in opposition

pragmatic

Distinguished Member
Its the naturte of [politics in this country.When Labour were in the Tories constantly sniped never giving them credit for anything, so expect Labour to do the same in opposition

Tit for tat, bet you complained when the Tories did it, but now its labour its fine :rolleyes:

I don't know if you watched/listened to the budget, but the speech (or rather breathless rant) that Harman give in response to the budget had no relation to the budget that was announced. Now some papers are printing what she said with no critique, as if what she claimed about the budget was true (when it wasn't, so far from it was funny :blush:)

That is not the behaviour of an effective opposition, but looked like a bad looser trying to work out their frustration.

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
Talking of losers, where is Gordon? He's gone very quiet.

Sonic67

Banned
Talking of losers, where is Gordon? He's gone very quiet.
He's hiding in Scotland. He has an urgent and nationally important need to inspect a school in his constituency.

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Tit for tat, bet you complained when the Tories did it, but now its labour its fine :rolleyes:

I don't know if you watched/listened to the budget, but the speech (or rather breathless rant) that Harman give in response to the budget had no relation to the budget that was announced. Now some papers are printing what she said with no critique, as if what she claimed about the budget was true (when it wasn't, so far from it was funny :blush:)

That is not the behaviour of an effective opposition, but looked like a bad looser trying to work out their frustration.

you would hardly expect the opposition to be all nicey nicey to the Tories now would you:rolleyes:HH claimed quite rightly that the budget will hit the poorest most.Vat rise to 20% for eg.A £60 rise in the cost of a tv may not mean much to the better off but to the poorest that is a fortune.Freezes in council tax will mean services will suffer and its the poorest who use them most.
The cuts , which we wont know till October. will again hit the poorest in areas such as transport or housing.Any rises in tac credit will soon be negated by these cuts which will get progressively worse after 2012.
This is not a budget of fairness because at the other end Osbourne has listened to his Daily Mail ,Torygraph chums and dropped the proposed 40% CGT to 28 % and whilst a levy is being targeted at the banks its chicken feed to them and obscene bonuses will still be paid out to the greedy scum
Georgey boy of course will nor suffer one iota from all the cuts as he has a nice £4000000 fortune to keep him well comfy
Another thing these cuts will quite probably plunge us into a double dip recession because it will damage demand,Ozzy the idiot has igmored warnings from all corners of the world plus history itself about the dangers of cutting too much too soon.Roosevelt bitterly regretted doing it in 1937 , Japan is till trying to recover from the effects of doing likewise in th 90s.It will take us years to be where we once were

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom