Anyone else sick of Channel 5 showing programmes to do with the Royal Family?

marcaaron22

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Why is Channel 5 always showing programmes to do with the Royal Family, the odd one, ok, but it’s week after week of programmes..
Yes, I know, most will say, just switch the channel off if you don’t like it, that’s not the point, the programmes in my opinion are just a waste of programme space..

How is it a waste of programme space? Granted there is less space on Freeview since the government grabbed some frequencies for mobile data technologies and a mux was closed, but that mainly carried minority and +1 channels.
Even so, if you can't find a programme to watch live, you've probably got something recorded that you would prefer. Channel 5 is about 1/50th of the available channels now; think back to pre-1984 when any programme broadcast nationally would occupy 1/3rd of the available capacity.

Channel 5 shows them because enough people watch them to warrant companies paying to advertise before, during and after them.

With easier recording, Freeview, Sky, Netflix, Prime Video, catch-up services, pretty much every film made available with just a few clicks and umpteen other examples, one channel showing things I'm not interested in doesn't bother me.

That said, in my very early 20s I rang the BBC's helpline to complain about some rubbish being shown on another channel. They said they couldn't do anything about that, so I said they could stop showing repeats of Star Trek which would mean I wouldn't have to watch the other channel.

Seemed funny at the time as a probably slightly tipsy student. Less so now.

I have this simple solution.

I don't watch Channel 5. I have no idea what's on it now, later or tomorrow.

that’s not the point

What is?

Programming on Channel 5 is paid for by advertising. They don't program in the public interest or your interest. They program what they think will attract enough viewers to watch to attract advertisers.

I used to watch Channel 5, but very rarely do anymore.
This was in the days when they would show CSI etc.

Now all they seem to show is soaps and those crap programs where celebrities you've never heard of discuss another much more famous celebrity in the guise that the program is revealing previously unknown information.

Why is Channel 5 always showing programmes to do with the Royal Family, the odd one, ok, but it’s week after week of programmes..
Yes, I know, most will say, just switch the channel off if you don’t like it, that’s not the point, the programmes in my opinion are just a waste of programme space..
I would guess it highlights there are very many people who enjoy programmes about the royal family (note removal of capital letters).

See no problem with that considering the royal family is built into the fabric of the UK and tourism is worth a bob or two.

If my remote had channel buttons on it and was years and years old, CH5 and the bbc buttons would still look pristine.

For me it's programmes about Diana I am fed up with. She will be dead for 23 years at the end of the month. The same goes for any excuse for the Daily Express to make Diana headlines.

Again, blame the viewers/readers, not the channel or the paper. If such programmes/stories didn’t attract people in their droves, they simply wouldn’t be there.

Can't say I have noticed - mind you I hardly ever watch Ch5.

Out of interest, is it the Royal Family or just the tabloid parts of the Royal Family, William and Kate, Harry and Meghan and Andrew?

Cheers,

Nigel

Plenty of other forms of media to watch!

My wife "loves" these programmes! I try desperately to find anything else to do around the house and still end up watching too many of them😭

I remember when Channel 5 first started and they had Kathy Lloyd on. How times have changed. :laugh:

Police Interceptors - CH5

I remember one now....

Name: Dave Quickly
Car: Scooby
Fav Food: Kebab
Hates: Salad

There is still a Channel 5?

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched anything on Channel 5. It must be at least a decade.

Out of interest, is it the Royal Family or just the tabloid parts of the Royal Family, William and Kate, Harry and Meghan and Andrew?
It's tabloid tittle-tattle of the past and present with the same contributors in all of them. Mostly the Queen's kids and grandkids. Probably that lazy fudgeer sister of hers too iirc.

For me it's programmes about Diana I am fed up with. She will be dead for 23 years at the end of the month. The same goes for any excuse for the Daily Express to make Diana headlines.
Please let's have some perspective here. If our Queen of Hearts was still alive do you think we'd be having this Covid thing hanging over our heads. Certainly not. She would have stopped it. :lesson:

Well that's what the Express said.

It’s funny you should mention Channel 5 because I woke up this morning and my first thought was that channel and within minutes I was seething.

If Channel 5 running documentaries about the Royals really bothers you that much, you need therapy. 🤪

If Channel 5 running documentaries about the Royals really bothers you that much, you need therapy. 🤪
#firstworldproblems 🤣

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom