Anyone Else Seen Swans Killing Other Waterfowls Young?

Garrett

I been walking on a canal towpath the last month and some geese had some goslings but on the far side, then a week later they were on the same side with 5 but a swan in the canal right next to them. Then a day later they were on the other bank with the swan in the water next to them. The swans mate nesting but like a 5 min walk away. Anyway the geese went missing for a while then turned up with 2 small and one a fair bit larger and was told the swan had been killing them.
On Wed last week they were on my side of the canal and and the large goslin ended up in the canal and the swan grabbed hold of it by the neck and tried to drown it but it got free and swam under the water and saw it hide in some reeds.
On Saturday walking down the path again the geese and 3 goslings were walking down the path and the swan following them in the canal (this is now about a 10 min walk from its mate).
Anyway on the walk today the swan was after them again and met someone I see on the canal path and they said the swan had killed an other on Sunday, and just across from us saw the swan attacking the larger gosling but it managed to hide behind something that had been tipped although the swan tried to still get to it.

Has anyone else seen this behavior(swans killing other waterfowl young)?

I've just done a search to see it this was unusual but found this.
BTW I would not advise anyone else doing it it's both a waste of time getting wet through, and they just be back at it when your gone, also swans are protected so could get into trouble with the law.

This man's heroic reaction to a swan attacking baby goslings in London is brilliant

Last edited:

gibbsy

I've not actually seen swans killing goslings but on one of our local lakes there is a very aggressive swan and he chases the geese out of the water. He's relentless. Since he's been on the lake, about two years, there have been no goslings born. The ducks however are very prolific.

Garrett

I found this so when they say animals only kill for food know its a lie as someone posted in the link stay away from swans they can break your leg (an urban myth) unless you fall over.
Make Way for Killer Swans

Jules Winfield

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - The Swan Sanctuary suggests that swans will become aggressive (mentioning geese) to protect their nesting ground or offspring. It also suggests that breaking an arm is a possibility if the person involved is particularly young or old.

Several years ago by the local canal, a swan was killed by some halfwit's dog that wasn't on a lead; dog owners were warned to keep dogs away from swans, particularly smaller ones, as there was a risk of the swan drowning pooches.

Personally, I stay well away from swans. They can be vicious bu**ers, though they're still millions times less odious than Canada geese, which hiss at you at the drop of a hat and crap everywhere.

Garrett

Personally, I stay well away from swans. They can be vicious bu**ers, though they're still millions times less odious than Canada geese, which hiss at you at the drop of a hat and crap everywhere.
No way you want to see the swans round here.:D
swan-1.jpg

Several years ago by the local canal, a swan was killed by some halfwit's dog that wasn't on a lead; dog owners were warned to keep dogs away from swans, particularly smaller ones, as there was a risk of the swan drowning pooches.
I say let them off:devil: :laugh:
No decades ago one belligerent swan was walking up the towpath wings extended and lucky there was a passing point so went in if and had a dog with me at the time and made it get behind me, as I thought that was it target anyway instead of continuing up the path, it changed direction and was going straight for me when the dog popped round to my side barked at it and it buggered of into the water.
The following day it was waiting where I entered the path and lunged at me and before it struck I grabbed its neck and then let it go and it made a retreat in the water but the swine followed me for about a mile and every so often I get a way ahead of it, I then hear flapping and splashing and it was flying down to aside me, but in the water. It wasn't even breeding season as I remember having gloves on. But I never was bothered with it again.

As for geese I only ever been hissed by them when they had the goslings and could not get in the water for the swan, generally they just move away other times of the year but I have seen there droppings which I take turns black with age but saw some the other day that was green with a bit of white :zonked: and someone was telling me a couple of months ago their dog eaten some of it:eek:
Mind you saying was the geese are not swans dropping are similar?

Last edited:

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Very difficult for a swan to harm a human, unless tripping up when running away from it as they really weigh next to nothing and for those that hand feed, will tell you their bite is no more than a slight rough jagged pull across the hand.

Lee

Over the years I've seen a fair number of swans killing goslings and once saw a swan kill an adult Canadian geese. A few weeks ago at Kingsbury water park there was a swan attacking goslings and both their parents launched at attack on the swan and battered it. Whether the swan died or not I don't know but it didn't look good.

Of all the water birds the swans appear to be the most territorial at breeding time. I've been on some huge lakes and a swan would travel a long distance across the lake to attack geese or see off a dog that's on the path.

It's a dangerous time for waterfowl young and just at the weekend gone we were shocked to see a seagull take a duckling off the lake, not something we'd seen happen before. The mother did try to get the seagull to drop it but failed. I told a mate who was the other side of the lake and he said a seagull had taken a baby moorhen by him.

aVdub

Distinguished Member
This adult male was chasing the other male around the lake for quite a while until he took the hint and moved well away.
Took a while to make out the young he was protecting.

Took a quick snapshot of the video I shot at the weekend.

swan.jpg

swan2.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom