Anyone else sad enough to have watched Under Siege last night?

B

Boy Lex

Just out of curiosity, was anyone else up late watching Under Siege on the beeb last night. I know Mr. Siegal's acting isn't up to much, but is it just me ot did they chop about 25 minutes out of the film? :thumbsdow

It's been a while since I've seen it, But I thought some of it was missing as well.

yeh but the cake scene"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boy Lex said:
Just out of curiosity, was anyone else up late watching Under Siege on the beeb last night. I know Mr. Siegal's acting isn't up to much, but is it just me ot did they chop about 25 minutes out of the film? :thumbsdow

There are various cuts to Under siege on video and rgion 2 DVD. Ther are alos normaly edits for swearing and violence if put on BBC as well.

From the melon farmers web site.

The confrontation between Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal) and the numerous people in the work shop has been censored by 5 seconds. The scene were one person gets cut up his inside thigh, then under his arm is eliminated. Also trimmed is the person who gets pushed near to the saw we don't see him being kneed in the groin forcing him upwards onto the saw which cuts into his right shoulder.
The fight with the last mercenery before Strannix has him have his adams apple ripped out.
The final fight between Casey and Strannix (Tommy Lee Jones) has also been shortened we don't see the result of the eye-gouging.

The region 1 DVD is uncut and has both 16:9 and 4:3 version of the film in dolby digital 5.1 on it.
The films running time is around 98 mins. How long was its running on BBC1?

dubledene said:
yeh but the cake scene"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes so long as that was not cut. Best bit of the film :D

Well it had all of those cuts, but it also seemed really disjointed, like Tommy Lee says to Steven at the end that the console that he needs to enter the code in to disarm the missile has been destroyed, and we see all the wires hanging out... Then all of a sudden after the fight, he is sat there with everybody else punching codes into some sort of machine to cancel the missile. It was like they had cut out the explanation of how they got round the fact that the console had been destroyed.

Boy Lex said:
Well it had all of those cuts, but it also seemed really disjointed, like Tommy Lee says to Steven at the end that the console that he needs to enter the code in to disarm the missile has been destroyed, and we see all the wires hanging out... Then all of a sudden after the fight, he is sat there with everybody else punching codes into some sort of machine to cancel the missile. It was like they had cut out the explanation of how they got round the fact that the console had been destroyed.

Yeh, i noticed this but presumed that i must have dozed of at some point & missed a chunk of the film :boring:

Nope . But I did watch the very last ST:TNG (all good things) on SKY1 (again) :thumbsup: .
How a Trek series should end , unlike Voyager and Enterprise

JS

yep, rather predictably I watched it til then end of the cake scene ;)

Aaah the cake scene !!!- funny thing is that is all I remember :rolleyes: Steven expressionless Seagal should have stuck to his aikido instead of acting.

BTW this is my 100th post yippe kayyey....

yea i watched it, i noticed some cuts, but i never saw tommy get stabbed in the head before :eek: that was gruesome lol only version i seen his head just goes straight thru the screen

either way steven is a **** actor :devil:

I think the Under Siege films where his better ones and of the 2 though the second one was the best.

hehe yeah i saw it.....had to cover my young brothers eyes when the cake scene came on ;)

Garrett said:
I think the Under Siege films where his better ones and of the 2 though the second one was the best.

Garrett, I have posted this before, but check out the list of cuts to Under Siege 2 for Video and R2 DVD. :eek:

Under Siege 2
cut by 2:01s
cert 18
running time 93:23s
1995 US film by Geoff Murphy
Cut by the BBFC with the following justification:

Macho heroics were the order of the day in Steven Seagal's Under Siege 2, but the violence seemed too pervasive and gloating foy any category lower than 18, despite the distributor's willingness to cut. On video, however, the same relish for violence, most of it by the hero himself, could not be sanctioned at any category, and heavy cuts were made for 18. In retrospect, it might have been more satisfactory on film and video to have reduced the violence even further for the 15 requested.

After Casey Ryback (Steven Seagal) takes a knife from a mercenary we don't see the one second shot of the slash that he makes to his wrist.
When the mercenaries are told to sweep the train for an intruder and proceed to check the roof of the train, Ryback kicks someone off the front of it, however we don't see a brief close up of the top half of him being dragged along.
Dramatic cuts to the scene when Ryback throws the makeshift bomb at the top of the stairs which is caught by a mercenary, who goes up in flames, we don't see him then knock into another mercenary who also sets alight, after they stagger about for a quite a few seconds, some others try to put them out with coats while Penn (Everett McGill) has another method and shoots one of them in the back before they use extinguishers.
The first mercenary down the stairs who gets shot by a flare and ignites, omits the shots of him falling all the way down, who then stands up and is then kicked by Ryback, knocking the guy backwards hitting a doorway before falling out.
Next mercenary down the stairs who confronts Ryback we don't see him thrown into the side of the train, then have both his wrists broken before being suddenly brought to his knees.
When Ryback is hanging onto the side of the cliff and jumps across to the mercenary who drops a line next to him, after hitting him a few times we don't see Ryback swinging the rope smashing the guys face into the cliff.
When mercenary (Peter Grene) sneaks up behind the porter Bobby Zecks (Morris Chestnut), with which Ryback sneaks up behind him, after he flips him to the ground we should see his head being forced back, breaking his neck, hence Bobby's expression and the line Oh ****, you're definitely a bad mother ****er.
When Ryback is in the carriage full of hostages we should have another few seconds of the knife that he throws into a mercenary's neck and then him slowly falling to the ground.
After Ryback says he's coming to get his niece now to Penn, and mercenery (Patrick Killpatrick) says to him looks like you've ****ed up old man, I say it's time to cut and run, in this country we only get a glimpse of the mercenary removing a knife from his trousers and attempt to stab Penn, who then in a split second removes the knife and stabs him in the front of the neck, who then falls to the ground.
When Ryback notices the grenade trap and sets it off he is attacked by another mercenary, when they are rolling about on the floor Ryback breaks his arm.
Close up of the knives that Ryback and Penn use before they fight.
Don't hear the sound effect of Penn having his neck broken after Ryback does the deed.
Once inside the helicopter after the trains crash into each other, Ryback closes the door on Danes fingers severing them as he slowly falls into the fire ball below, before going up in flames.
The following additional scenes were spotted in the 13 rated Canadian cinema version

during the fight with a terrorist where Ryback cuts the terorist's wrist, the fight concludes with Ryback stabbing the terrorist in the neck which is why you see blood on the terrorists chin and sweater when he falls out of the cupboard.
Also, during the climatic fight with the lead terrorist at the end Ryback forces the terrorists face onto a hot cooker (no cooking was being done!) This is just before they fall down the stairs. This is why the terrorist has a large red mark on his left cheek when you look at him lying down after falling down the stairs.
There is also much more to the final fight in the downstairs kitchen

So the only way to see un cut is by getting Region 1 DVD. :)

I was looking through the tv listings the day before and noticed it was on.

Great film IMO, reminded me to get it on DVD.

R1 ordered from Amazon marketplace £5.87 delivered

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom