Question Anyone else pre-ordered with Currys and had a 'disappointing' e-mail today?

Adrian E

Established Member
Reaction score
Paid up front for a 12 Pro for delivery on Friday - they're now saying they won't have stock until at least 24 November.....

They'll only refund onto the gift card I used to pay for it, which means I can't buy it elsewhere as the money is tied up. Nor do I want £1100 sitting on a gift card until such time as there's something else of sufficient value I want to buy.

I know it's my own 'fault' for paying this way - just wondered if anyone else was caught up by this?

I think you’d be in your right to claim the money back. They’ve let you down.. you wish to no longer purchase the item.. etc etc.. don’t accept the voucher.. demand your money back.

I think you’d be in your right to claim the money back. They’ve let you down.. you wish to no longer purchase the item.. etc etc.. don’t accept the voucher.. demand your money back.
But Currys have already refunded the OP, back to the original payment method, ie gift card. Its not as if the OP paid by credit card and Currys are refusing to credit that back.

OP, sorry if I'm being a bit thick here but why did you pay by gift vouchers and not by credit/debit card?

If I’m reading this right you paid with a gift card? In which case why would you expect to be refunded in cash. The whole point of gift cards from a retailer perspective is to force you to spend money with them. If you could get refunded in cash everyone who receives a gift card they don’t want would simply buy something and immediately return it for cash.

OP, sorry if I'm being a bit thick here but why did you pay by gift vouchers and not by credit/debit card?

6% workplace discount scheme for Currys gift cards.....

If I’m reading this right you paid with a gift card? In which case why would you expect to be refunded in cash. The whole point of gift cards from a retailer perspective is to force you to spend money with them. If you could get refunded in cash everyone who receives a gift card they don’t want would simply buy something and immediately return it for cash.

As I said in my OP I know it's my own fault - was having a moan at their apparent inability to offer pre-orders on the phones and actually deliver when they originally said they would on launch day, and wondered if others had had an e-mail who had tried to buy through them.

To answer my own question, there's loads of people on macrumors posting to say they've received the same e-mail (although many got theirs at the start of today, rather than 6pm like mine). I ordered on the 16th......

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your recent Currys PC World pre-order for the Apple iPhone 12.

There’s been a delay to the dispatch of your order. So, your tech will arrive a little later than expected. We’re sorry about that.

We can now confirm that your item(s) will be in stock on the 24th November 2020 and then dispatched to you as soon as it arrives.

We’re sorry we didn’t get it right this time. Getting amazing tech to our customers is what we love to do and we hate having to make you wait. We’ll get it sorted and hope that you’ll shop with us again in the future.

Kind regards,

Currys PC World

Oops sorry all.. I didn’t read the gift card bit .
Another thread where I missed some text.. I need an eye test :facepalm:o_O

Just checked my junkmail and I’ve got a delay email as well

I paid via gift card as well, for the same reason but with a 7% discount. Luckily my iPhone is coming tomorrow. If I was in your situation I'd just wait it out. At the end of the day it's just an iPhone, and think of the saving you've made.

That was my plan, but after speaking to customer service (there’s a laugh!) to try and sort they unilaterally decided to cancel my order, and when I rang back 5 mins after getting the email notification said they couldn’t undo it, so tough! Awaiting gift card in post and still waiting for a promised call back 🙄

Interesting to note that this morning there are no listings for the 12 Pro models on the Currys website. You can still order the most basic 12 with tiny memory, but the other non-Pro models have also disappeared completely......

I wonder if they've just decided to retail through their ebay store? Much fuller range of 12 and the 256 in graphite Pro are listed on there

In other news, I pick up my JL ordered handset today and am still waiting for the voucher from Currys to arrive in the post

Interesting to note that this morning there are no listings for the 12 Pro models on the Currys website. You can still order the most basic 12 with tiny memory, but the other non-Pro models have also disappeared completely......

I wonder if they've just decided to retail through their ebay store? Much fuller range of 12 and the 256 in graphite Pro are listed on there

In other news, I pick up my JL ordered handset today and am still waiting for the voucher from Currys to arrive in the post
I ordered a 128GB graphite Pro yesterday for delivery today from Currys , I must say I was surprised to be able to get one after reading this thread

@wezzywebb - keep us posted on whether it actually shows up (fingers crossed for you!)

The Apple stores appear to have stock available for anyone struggling with Curry’s and who are able to get to a local store.

What does your Currys account show mate?
Didn’t use my account went in to buy one and they ordered it for me. Might be why. Got an email yesterday saying they’ll email me when it’s ready to collect and just did a live chat and was told it’s in store and I’ll get an email soo. To collect. But tbh I don’t trust curry’s at all 😂

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom