Anyone else offended by religious autocorrect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m having a friend with the name Chris. First thing, I’m not religious at all. Secondly, it’s annoying and offending me that whenever I start typing his name, autocorrect, auto completion does suggest Christ and Christmas. Additionally I think it’s offensive to other religious groups to force Christ and Christmas on them while contacting someone with the name Chris. People may happily believe in any Gods in their fever dreams, I don’t bother them. But offensive religious words shouldn’t be forced upon users of electronic devices.
what an absolute twit....

arrrrgggghhhhh.... God damn autocorrect! 😂

John7

So how did you expect him to come back? Clearly it is you who has the problem, not your friend.

Getting "offended" over words! People need to get a grip. Simple solution, turn autocorrect off and type the correct words yourself. Do you really believe people to be so shallow as to be offended by a simple spelling error in a text message?

Flashy

Doesn’t work with Apple products.
Doesn’t autocorrect with either of your religious examples on my iPhone or iPad, which suggest it’s a learned behaviour. You could try resetting your keyboard dictionary in Settings.

Unless you’re talking about the predictive suggestions, in which case it’s really a non-issue as others have suggested. You could turn off predictive suggestions if it bothers you, though.

Last edited:

shotokan101

Distinguished Member

krish

Distinguished Member
More like Dear Everyone

Turing became an atheist at school when a friend died of bovine tuberculosis. Paul Baran, one of the two independent inventors of packet switching, was Jewish. However to single out one 'inventor' would be a nonsense for such massively collaborative developments.

FTFY

If you're thinking of Tim Berners-Lee, he invented the World Wide Web, not the internet

Last edited:

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Chris on a bike I've heard it all now.

crashcris

I’m having a friend with the name Chris. First thing, I’m not religious at all. Secondly, it’s annoying and offending me that whenever I start typing his name, autocorrect, auto completion does suggest Christ and Christmas. Additionally I think it’s offensive to other religious groups to force Christ and Christmas on them while contacting someone with the name Chris. People may happily believe in any Gods in their fever dreams, I don’t bother them. But offensive religious words shouldn’t be forced upon users of electronic devices.
For goodness sake you really don't have to go fiddling in your phone or computer to alter the predictive text parameters/words. Simply change his name by deed poll to something simple and non-religious, can I suggest Mr Louis Cypher? It's got a nice ring to it.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Getting ready for the next thread “My friend is called Muhammad but the phone keeps on showing his picture”
But where should it be posted? Phones forum? iPhones forum? Politics and the Economy? Religion?

IronGiant

Close or delete?

IronGiant

Good enough for me. Our Founder hates religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature