Anyone else NOT enjoy Christmas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by huntere, Dec 23, 2006.

1. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Must admit I very often get "blue" at this time of year. I simply don't enjoy it and often have a feeling of dread over Christmans day.

Now I know its often a lonely miserable time for many but I don't see myself in that category. I'm not alone or too poor to enjoy it - I just don't

I've got loads of freinds around me - admittedly not much family but thats not the issue as that keeps me quite happy! We are close I just hate the full on family thing at Xmas. Last couple fo years have been with friends and fun. This year with other half's family (3 kids, 2 grand children AND ex husband!).

In the past I have had some pretty rubbish Xmas's with my family which may heve left memories. Maybe its coz my birthdays so close. But other manage ok.

I don't know. Just feeling a bit down and sorry for myself and can only blame Chritmas and for no good reason.

Am I alone?

2. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    No your not alone.......

Like you my birthday is around Christmas (yesterday) also a few years ago we had a death in the family on Christmas day.

Family is few, friends is many. Without my gf around me I would struggle around this time of year.

Dont worry you are not alone. Chin up and enjoy it, for yourself.

Smile and someone will smile back. :)

3. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Cheers Pixel. Happy birthday for yesterday! I know you are right - especailly the smile thing.

They say if you do it releases chemicals or something that makes you feel better, juts finding it hard.

The g/f is doing her best but with her family full on - especailly one daughter who's staying with us on and off at the mo who is pain (she's 29 and acts like a spoilt 15yo) and her ex husband on Xmas day its not easy!

Anyway I wish everyone on here a Happy Christmas with much happiness and smiles. Thanks for all the advice and laughs over the last year and look forward to many more in 07

Evan

4. bentleg

bentleg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    you have to believe in santa.. :D

all joking aside i have a friend who is in your frame of mind, he hates xmas and will not partake in it, As friends we've tried to make him get into the spirit of things but it only annoyed him so we just leave him alone now, as soon as the 25th is over he's fine again. :)

Good luck with it all and i hope things turn aroud for you

5. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Send him my way!

Thnaks for the reply. And tell your mate he;s not alone either!

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Christmas is a very stressful time with more marriage breakups over this period than any other time of the year.

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Well, thanks for cheering us up Ian!;) :D

8. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Now that did make me laugh! I'm only a little blue - not ready to split up with lil lady!

9. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    i enjoy krimbo time, still a big kid myself in that respect (29.....ohh...how old was that daughter?..erm....heh) but i do get blue at new years....used to work through them when i was younger in bars (shed loads of cash, made the evening go quicker) but now i cant work in a bar due to my back/joints, so for a few new years i went out partying, but tbh since i hit around 25 i dont seem to enjoy big parties, so mainly spend it with my parents, sometimes my sister and her family come around for it......trouble is, another year rolling by reminds me that my physical problems are slowly getting worse, but nothing else in my life is really getting better....

however by the 2nd Jan i'm back to normal again, blues are over.....weird....

10. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    I love christmas itself, but I can't bear the run-up to it - "the nightmare before christmas".

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I used to be the other way round and enjoy the run up to Christmas much better than the big day itself.

In my banking days I used to start the round of Christmas entertaining by getting plastered with a client at lunchtime on 1st December, continue in the same vein for the next three weeks and not sober up until about 28th December.

12. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Ian

Now that part I would enjoy too! Cant speak for my liver tough!

Anyone expecting some unexpected AV gifts? My other half loves it but would never buy for me blind.

13. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Yep Christmas time for me is a very dark time, I am really trying to make an effort for the sake of my 5 year old this year. Be thankful you have your family around you to celebrate, make the most of it because it does not last forever.

14. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Absolutely correct! Its just daft and it really annoys me. I've got nothing to be miserable about am!

I'm sure your 5 y.o. will put more than one smile on your face! You won't have to make the effort - they'll do it for you!

Enjoy

15. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,983
    It really is what you make of it. My wife loves buying presenst and I like buying the food because i can treat myself to things I wouldnt normally. We have soinme family ( mother and mother in lkaw over but in the main friends . We eat a lot,get a bit ******, play games and watch a bit of telly( now that HAS deteriorated in recent years). and then there is the pressy giving time which is always good.The only slight downer is the fact the streets are deserted on Christmas day. My childhood in Argentina, 25th of Dec fell in the summer and there was plenty of life in the streets. Christmas was both a family and community thing.We use to throw loads of fireworks:devil:

Happy winter solstice

16. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    I had, what is probably down as a "break down" a couple of years back just before Christmas - it was nothing to do with Christmas itself - just the stress of the year, the loss of my Nan (who was one of my closest friends)

I had couple months off work and for a good 5 weeks was little more than a Zombie - but help of friends and family pulled me out of it (much more than the meds which made me worse and I packed in after a couple of weeks)

One thing that it did get me thinking about was just how much I was not a big fan of Christmas, even though I had spent 25+ years thinking I was

Christmas was the same every year - open presents, watch Tv til lunch, eat lunch, retire to my room to play with presents

This year is my first Christmas in my own home with my Fiance - Dinner will just be the two of us and we are both not trying too hard

People seem to work so hard at making Christmas special - and surely if it was special the work would not be needed

17. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Sorry it's a dark time for you, but you are offering very sound advice.

Sadly for some people (I know a couple myself) Christmas is a vivid reminder of a painful event, made worse by the stark contrast between everyone else being happy, and what they are going through.

My sympathies to anyone in that category. But it really should be a magical time for young children, and every effort should be made to make it so. Those memories are priceless, for children and parents alike.

18. unique

unique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    i normally hate xmas, i can't say i'm enjoying it, but this past week i've been off work i've been ok, none of the stress of previous years as i've finally sorted presents, and i'm not inviting anyone over this year, so i don't have to live up to anything, no friends, no family and no collegues, i've been dieting to get slim and fit again, so i have no biscuits, crips or nibbles and prettymuch bugger all food or drink in the house, and i don't want to invite people over and get loads of stuff in for people to cancel and me to eat it myself and screw up the diet.

last week i was really hating it however, 2 parties in a week that i didn't want to go to but i had to, one was with family, so i couldn't get out of that, and the other with collegues, which would have caused me hell at work if i didn't go to. in the end, after stressing the week over them, both passed ok.

now i have something to get through tomorrow night that again i don't want to go to, but have to, and then again on xmas day, so i guess come tuesday the worst is over, but then i have new years eve to get thru on my own, and then having to spend new years day with family, so then it's truly over, but then a day after that and i'm back to work. so just over 2 weeks off work and it's not like i can just enjoy it and not worry about stuff

and apart from all that, it's all the money you have to spend on both presents, and on going out to "parties". complete waste of money. i spend money on gifts for people who don't tell me what they want, and probably end up getting stuff they don't want, and then they buy me stuff i don't want and don't use, the only person who wins is the retailer

i'm not a regligous person, but sometimes at this time of year i wish i was a jehovas witness

19. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Do you know that really hiys a chord with me. Maybe thats what it is.

Anyway I hope you and your fiance have a lovely day. If or nothing else just enjoying each others company on a day when others are wrapped in their time you can enjoy the togtherness without outside influence.

Unqiue

Enjoy your time for you. I agree with many of your feelings so can empathise. Keep the diet and health going and I'm sure you'll leap into the New Year proud of yourself and ready to take on all comers safe i the knowledge you've "survived".
    All too often I've comfort eaten, drank too much and just come out of it all feeling even worse!

20. gpa

gpa
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308

Your not wrong, I even put up some decorations, bought mince pies, carrots as my five year old told me he was going to phone father christmas and tell him I have been naughty, even my step daughters are taking me out to the chrissy sales to "update me"! LOL whatever that means.

21. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +784
    Used to like it, but now not much of a fan - used to be a time when there was a great atmosphere about, everyone seemed pleasant and in good form.

Now its just chaos in the town centres, most people are rude, blodd pressure levels are through the roof, commericalism is out of control, people are in bad form because they can't get parked, can't decide what to buy, can't get a Wii, etc etc.

Its is madness for what is essentially a 1 day holiday - you see people spending hundreds in supermarkets when the shops are open again on Boxing Day.

Everyone is conned into thinking they MUST spend more money every year.

If I had my choice, I'd be sitting on a beach in the Canaries every Xmas from now on.

22. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,983
    I was watching Nigella preparing a crhitsmas dinner for family friends and what struck me was how much she enjoyed the preparation the involvement oif her kids the enjoyment of her friends/family. Her body lanmguage oooooozed sensuality. I thought to myself this lady knows how to have fun:smashin:
    She can sit on my knee and I'll read her a bed time story anytime:D

23. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,983
    the secrtet is to do ones shopping well before hand- like over the year

24. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    get in the queue mate, she's gorgeous!!

25. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,983
    its those fluttering eyelids and the shake of the head. hmmmm!

26. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    yeah, she's got it got it all going on and she knows how to use it!

27. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yup this Xmas is a real downer for me also.
    I had my 9 year old son (who is my whole world) for just 4 hours last Tuesday night. That was it - my whole Dad/Son Xmas experience for this year. I will not see him until next year now.
    Useless/powerless Family Courts and Exs who just totally take the :censored: :(.

28. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +784
    Yeah but if she sat on your knee you'd probably get a broken leg - bit of a big a$$ on her!!

29. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +784
    Every year I plan to do this - but never seem to be able to get organised.

Maybe in 2007?

30. signs

signs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,316
    with you on that one mate

i split from my first wife 10 years ago.and she has never let me have my 13 year old daughter once on Christmas day in all that time :thumbsdow
    every year i ask , every year it's the same...no :mad: