Anyone else into Audio Books

my favourite author, lost count how many times I’ve done the revelation space trilogy it’s practically an annual thing for me now!

Let me know when you are done as can highly recommend most of his catalogue but some more than others
Finished the second one last night - straight onto Absolution Gap this morning! Simply brilliant.

I'd appreciate any recommends - I've got some Audible Credits to use before Christmas. Cheers.

From Reynolds then first chasm city as it gives background to what you have been reading

then follow it up with the prefect (think it’s been renamed aurora rising) which actually takes place prior to chasm city and revelation space but is better when read after those for me. There is a sequel to that too called Elysium fire

all of those are set in the revelation space universe so will feel familiar

outside of that pushing ice is a fantastic stand alone story as is house of suns

to be honest it’s worth doing everything he has written over time but the above would be the best for me

Last edited:
From Reynolds then first chasm city as it gives background to what you have been reading

then follow it up with the prefect (think it’s been renamed aurora rising) which actually takes place prior to chasm city and revelation space but is better when read after those for me. There is a sequel to that too called Elysium fire

all of those are set in the revelation space universe so will feel familiar

outside of that pushing ice is a fantastic stand alone story as is house of suns

to be honest it’s worth doing everything he has written over time but the above would be the best for me

I've already got a few of those lined up now - cheers.

Finding I'm reading less and less now, but I'm getting a good hour a day in on Audible so I've filled my boots with these space operas.

Never have time to read anymore but I’m constantly in the car for work so can get through 4-5 hours at a time. Audible is a god send for that

just rewatched the shining, currently about a third into dr sleep audiobook whilst im waiting for the film to come to bluray. im liking the supernatural tbh and it follows well from the shining. hope it finishes well

Finished Absolution Gap on Friday. Absolutely fantastic conclusion to a brilliant trilogy. Didn't want it to end. Don't know if you've played the Mass Effect games, but they borrowed an awful lot from Reynolds.

Netflix / Amazon series please.

Just started listening to Children of Time (which I've read before and is brilliant, but want to catch up before I listen to the new sequel).

Then back to some more Reynolds.

I have played Mass effect and you can certainly see the similarities in them. i'm just finishing off dan browns newest, then I have a couple of the latest expeditionary force to do and will likely go back into the revelation space trilogy again

Just finished Cryptonomicon 1999 by Neal Stephenson & have to say what an absolute joy of a book in fact the reading by William Dufris's is simply put first class & is a completely immersive experience. Highly recommended in fact Stephenson is fast becoming one of my favourite authors.

Last edited:
homesteading space:the skylab story - intersting book if a bit drab about the creation of the 1st space station.
a nice easy trilogy by kate rhodes based on the scillies was quite nice to listen too - hell bay, ruin beach and burnt island - really easy murder mystery local police series - probably helps that i run on beaches and in woods when im listening
next on the cards is the terror, The Terror is a 2007 novel by American author Dan Simmons. It is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic, in 1845–1848 - also made into a series by AMC

Completely hooked on Stephen King, read every book in paperback or hardback and gradually revisiting every one on audiobook. Also Clive Barker, James Herbert, Koontz, Ray Bradbury, also enjoyed the Ben Aaronovitch - Rivers Of London Series, if those books don't end up being made into movies or TV Series then I will eat my hat. Also heard good things about the John Sandford series 'Prey' books, so thats something to look forward to.

I am very late to this thread but I have made a note of the recent recommendations. I used to be a big big fan of Sci Fi (I am very old) like Asimov, Dick, Heinlein etc, but have had difficulty getting into more recent sci Fi authors.

So my basic list of likes of non sci Fi are...
John Le Carré
Harlan Coben
Michael Connelly
Frederick Forsyth
John Grisham
Robert Harris
Stieg Larson (First 3 books only) I repeat the first three are genius.
Stuart Macbride
Jo Nesbo
Lynda la Plante
Ian Rankin
Ruth Rendell
Wilber Smith

So having exhausted the availability of a UK library that a relative is a member of (I live in Luxembourg) my chosen Christmas present in December 2018 was a 12 months (12 credit) subscription to Audible UK cost £69.99.
This appears to give the subscriber an opportunity to purchase 12 audio books at an average cost of £5.83 a book. However as a subscriber you can subscribe to receive their daily deal by email with a cost of £1.99 or £2.99 for that day’s audio book. In addition there are various sale offers of where a collection of books are offered at a sale price, perhaps £1.99/£2.99/£3.00 or 2 Audio books for one credit.

i have looked at my records for 2019 and have discovered the following
I bought a total of 51 books, returned 4 and my average cost per audio book came out at £2.88. Of the net 47 audio books I still have 8 “in stock” yet to be listened.
listening to audio books is an important hobby for me so I am happy and able to support this cost.
It would be interesting to hear if others have similar or very different experiences.

It would be interesting to hear if others have similar or very different experiences.
I just have the one book a month deal from audible which works out fine for me at £7.99/month but i can chose any book i like at any price.

Have you signed up to get the daily deal offers by email. They are often £1.99/£2.99

Have you signed up to get the daily deal offers by email. They are often £1.99/£2.99
I have just in case anything i may enjoy pops up, also there are also some excellent free listens such as The Genius Dialogues.

If you haven't already Sci Fi reader give Iain M Banks a try you may find his books quite enjoyable to listen to.

I have just in case anything i may enjoy pops up, also there are also some excellent free listens such as The Genius Dialogues.

If you haven't already Sci Fi reader give Iain M Banks a try you may find his books quite enjoyable to listen to.
Thanks for the tip. I will look out for him.

audible has 2 for 1 sale on certain books for this next week coming..

once i finish the terror, which is long but im enjoying it - 12hours left.
im going for the templars, - dan jones, everest 1953 - mike conefrey and hey! listen by steve mcneil, a history of computer games.

I am into audiobooks and just found this thread. Hello all here, how are you doing.

BBC Sounds App has quite a selection of free audiobooks and really like the App on my iPad. I rent allot of audiobooks via my Digital Library Services.

listening to next:
84A64199-AEF7-4D25-BCF5-15496DA033FC.jpeg

Sadly not in the UK so BBC sounds app not available. However through my podcatcher BEYONDPOD I can search (if I know the name) and find BBC podcasts like Drama Of the Week.

Who are your favourite Narrators?
Stephen Fry.
Marc Thompson.
Stefan Rudnicki.
David Attenborough.
Leonard Nimoy.

well, the terror went off the rails and turned into a man going mad on the ice.
everest is goo nice factual story of the journey up the hill.
hey, listen! history of gaming was ok, nothing new really just a bit of gaming history

gonna start the templars by dan jones this week

What does UNABRIDGED mean in reference to audiobooks?

'Unabridged' means that you are getting the complete text of the book rather than an 'abridged' version where some of it has been cut out to make the audiobook shorter.

templars... listened to the intro (as did my GF) its going back!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom