Anyone else into Audio Books

Decided it was time to check out an old favourite & as luck would have there on Audible.
Gene Wolfe
The Shadow of the Torturer
The first of four volumes in The Book of the New Sun

Finished a stint of about 15 Bernard Cromwell books, thoroughly enjoyed

Now moved back to sci fi

Been many years since I have read Dune so giving the audiobook a go.....wow. This is no normal audiobook, it has a cast of about 10 people voicing characters, incredibly immersive

Moving on to The Claw of the Conciliator, the second book of the book of the new sun so far they have been brilliantly narrated by Jonathan Davis.

Earlier today I finished with the clifton chronicles by Jeffery archer. Not an author or genre I'd usually go for - but the first was free and I was hooked from the off.

I'd never contemplated reading/listening to an Archer book, but the first Clifton book was free on Audible.

I had it for over a year before I capitulated and listened. As you say, hooked from the start. I listened to the entire series in under a month.

I've not checked out any of Archers other books though. Have you? If so, would you recommend any?

3/4 of the way through 2001: a space odyssey. very good and the film has just come up on sky movies. my copy has a good half hour from arthur c. clarke explaining a lot about how the film and book were created.

Moving onto the The Sword of the Lictor the third volume in the four-volume series The Book of the New Sun.

Well just finished the above & the 4th book The Citadel of the Autarch so thats it for the original 4 books, now just one more to go which i started today The Urth of the New Sun.

I have to say these are excellent audio books they are so well read, recommended.

A few recommendations especially if US history is your bag. First off is Shelby Foote's "The Civil War" in three volumes. Took him twenty years to write but will only take you about 140 hours to listen!
Then there's Robert Caro's "The Years Of Lyndon Johnson" in four volumes. Currently he is working on the final book but he is getting old now so hope he manages to finish it before he dies. Both these works are masterpieces. Might check out some science fiction soon as I have a few credits.

Well decided on some old school listening this week :)

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Jules Verne Narrated by Bill Homewood

Now on to the new H G Well Collection

H.G. Wells: The Science Fiction Collection

Started with one of my favorites The Time Machine

How much social commentary is in this story loads & its a real shame Mr Pal never put any of it in his wonderful movie.

Now on to the new H G Well Collection

H.G. Wells: The Science Fiction Collection

Started with one of my favorites The Time Machine

How much social commentary is in this story loads & its a real shame Mr Pal never put any of it in his wonderful movie.

was just going to post this 27hrs and 5 books for 1 credit is brilliant value, done the 1st 4 started island of dr moreau today - not bad in 3 weeks.

lined up next is I am pilgrim, meant to be very good from several sources who have read it.

was just going to post this 27hrs and 5 books for 1 credit is brilliant value, done the 1st 4 started island of dr moreau today - not bad in 3 weeks.

lined up next is I am pilgrim, meant to be very good from several sources who have read it.
Your so right i got mine from a credit which is excellent value (still i wish it had
Men Like Gods in the collection)

Re-pilgrim i will look into it thanks.

Last edited:
i am pilgrim was a good book - should be a film - 7/10
just done enders game 20th edition and am now watching the film... i find im enjoying the writers extras at the end really interesting!
just put a few in my list..... anyone read any
of them?
azimov foundation trilogy for £3.49 gotta be worth a punt
stephen king the outsider (as a newish book) or the shining ( yes ive seen the film)
chernobyl:history of tradegy (recent series is great but so depressing dunno if i wanna listen to that for hours but feel i should)
good omens terry pratchett and neil guiman (never read and terry bt love potter - closest link?)
many thanks

Fancied a change of tone.
I really enjoyed Kim Newman's Anno Dracula/The Bloody Red Baron etc there's a few more to read in the series but wanted to jump ahead a little & try "The man from the Diogenes Club".

An old favorite thought i'd give it a try on audible The Left Hand Of Darkness Ursula K. Le Guin.

awaken online is ok and cheap on audible - ready player one but on the dark side
currently on world war z - post war interviews with randoms - new format with no story or hero etc but im enjoying it

I'm currently listening to Peter Clines - 14.
I really enjoyed his book Paradox Bound and am now making my way through his books on Audible.
Highly enjoyable - me and the Not Wife listened to the entire book lying by the pool in spain.

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson was excellent so good in fact i have decided to check out more of his work am now on Snow Crash not sure how i missed this author but better late than never.

born to run - christopher mcdougall is a great book if you like running, but also covers a lot of other stuff
sapiens a brief history of human kind is good too

Snow Crash was excellent so am now listening to Cryptonomicon 1999 another novel by American author Neal Stephenson.

I'm listening to the second in the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds. Absolutely fantastic. At at 27 hours long, the commute these last few weeks has flown by!

I'm listening to the second in the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds. Absolutely fantastic. At at 27 hours long, the commute these last few weeks has flown by!

my favourite author, lost count how many times I’ve done the revelation space trilogy it’s practically an annual thing for me now!

Let me know when you are done as can highly recommend most of his catalogue but some more than others

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom