Quantcast

Anyone else into Audio Books

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
An old favorite thought i'd give it a try on audible The Left Hand Of Darkness Ursula K. Le Guin.

ben16v

awaken online is ok and cheap on audible - ready player one but on the dark side
currently on world war z - post war interviews with randoms - new format with no story or hero etc but im enjoying it

BAN5HEE

I'm currently listening to Peter Clines - 14.
I really enjoyed his book Paradox Bound and am now making my way through his books on Audible.
Highly enjoyable - me and the Not Wife listened to the entire book lying by the pool in spain.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Now listening to Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson was excellent so good in fact i have decided to check out more of his work am now on Snow Crash not sure how i missed this author but better late than never.

ben16v

born to run - christopher mcdougall is a great book if you like running, but also covers a lot of other stuff
sapiens a brief history of human kind is good too

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Snow Crash was excellent so am now listening to Cryptonomicon 1999 another novel by American author Neal Stephenson.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
I'm listening to the second in the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds. Absolutely fantastic. At at 27 hours long, the commute these last few weeks has flown by!

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
I'm listening to the second in the Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds. Absolutely fantastic. At at 27 hours long, the commute these last few weeks has flown by!
my favourite author, lost count how many times I’ve done the revelation space trilogy it’s practically an annual thing for me now!

Let me know when you are done as can highly recommend most of his catalogue but some more than others

rustybin

Distinguished Member
my favourite author, lost count how many times I’ve done the revelation space trilogy it’s practically an annual thing for me now!

Let me know when you are done as can highly recommend most of his catalogue but some more than others
Finished the second one last night - straight onto Absolution Gap this morning! Simply brilliant.

I'd appreciate any recommends - I've got some Audible Credits to use before Christmas. Cheers.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
From Reynolds then first chasm city as it gives background to what you have been reading

then follow it up with the prefect (think it’s been renamed aurora rising) which actually takes place prior to chasm city and revelation space but is better when read after those for me. There is a sequel to that too called Elysium fire

all of those are set in the revelation space universe so will feel familiar

outside of that pushing ice is a fantastic stand alone story as is house of suns

to be honest it’s worth doing everything he has written over time but the above would be the best for me

Last edited:

rustybin

Distinguished Member
From Reynolds then first chasm city as it gives background to what you have been reading

then follow it up with the prefect (think it’s been renamed aurora rising) which actually takes place prior to chasm city and revelation space but is better when read after those for me. There is a sequel to that too called Elysium fire

all of those are set in the revelation space universe so will feel familiar

outside of that pushing ice is a fantastic stand alone story as is house of suns

to be honest it’s worth doing everything he has written over time but the above would be the best for me
I've already got a few of those lined up now - cheers.

Finding I'm reading less and less now, but I'm getting a good hour a day in on Audible so I've filled my boots with these space operas.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Never have time to read anymore but I’m constantly in the car for work so can get through 4-5 hours at a time. Audible is a god send for that

ben16v

just rewatched the shining, currently about a third into dr sleep audiobook whilst im waiting for the film to come to bluray. im liking the supernatural tbh and it follows well from the shining. hope it finishes well