1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else installed the emerald update?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Spacecat, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +952
    i installed the emerald update yesterday, seems ok but nothing major that i can tell.

a few extra gubbins here and there, picture seems clearer/sharper (could be my imagination)

anyone else done it and what is you experience of it

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    havent a clue what your talking about, so i guess not

3. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Not available yet -where did you get it from?

4. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any additional zoom modes? I'd like to see a "just" mode like on panasonic TVs. In this mode, when viewing 4:3 material on a widescreen display, the image is zoomed in a wee bit and then stretched to fit the widescreen display - but it does it by stretching the edges more than the centre. The result is pretty good and perfect for significant others who don't understand aspect ratios no matter how many times you explain it to them.

5. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    re the "just mode", if you have the cyberlink powerdvd codecs for mce installed it adds an additional entry to "more programs" allowing you to configure the decoder. You will find a video mode and audio mode selection tool...there is an option called CLEV (CyberLink EagleVision) which does exactly what you describe..

6. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +952
    hope this isnt a repeat post

you can get the final emerald from the usual places (why wait?)
    i use the power dvd codec and it does have the extra zoom function in MCE

7. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    what is it and do i need it?????

8. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Its a service pack for MCE - it will be available via windows update soon, there are some versions available now, but not too sure if they are the final release or beta's.

It is supposed to improve stability and fix a few bugs.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  9. tartan_guru

tartan_guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I installed this on Friday (from a link on thegreenbutton)

The update seems to have fixed the biggest issue that I was having with MCE i.e. the loss of guide listings for certain channels when using DVB-T and has also added the ability to listen to and record the freeview radio services.

To make sure that the update went smoothly, I reset my MCE setup (there are various apps for doing this- see thegreenbutton.com), and then re-ran the MCE setup wizard.
    After scanning for channels, MCE found all of the TV and Radio services and assigned EPG listings to them (before the update you had to add these manually and it would keep "losing" the listings.
    I have been recording radio programmes without any issues, although they show up as TV recordings rather than being under the Radio tab in the main MCE menu.

The update also adds a fourth zoom option, which does a partial stretch of a 4:3 image to fit a 16:9 screen, i.e. keeps the center normal but progressively stretches the image as you head out towards the sides.

10. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    thanks for that lisa, so i dont need it yet, time to update my pc,

11. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I added this update last night , and then after ten minutes had to back it out with system restore :(

Whilst watching live TV it was giving problems with previous frame flickering on top of newest frame : every 2-3 minutes or so . May just need newer drivers compatible with the rollup for my PVR350 and Geforce6600 - think I'll wait

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +952
    After having for a few days its seems totally stable, all progs are recordingand going in and out of standby as needed and there is a definite improvement to an already good picture, it seems more solid and defined somehow.
    The missus commented on it without being prompted unlike the usual 'what do you think of this', 'yes dear its looks great!'

13. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Installed yesterday, all went smoothly and no probs so far, cant really see any major differences apart from the extra zoom mode.

14. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So let me get this right. If you download this Emerald thing, you can then access the Radio stations? And people are asking if they need it? :)

The other zoom mode sounds like panarama mode to me as 'fitted' on most of my LCD TV's. Personally, I think it's total sh*te but each to their own. After all, I've just spent far more than I really ought to have on some HTPC's, LCD TV's and sound systems, I don't really then want to deliberately distort the image... Alcohol does that already :)

Jon.

15. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Installed fine. No really significant differences, only visible one is the extra zoom mode and the new icons to describe each zoom.

Bit disappointed that they haven't improved the speed of the music database. Still takes a while to load in 1200 albums and that's with a 3ghz cpu and 2gig of ram but it is marginally faster. My biggest gripe is that they haven't sorted out the searh feature on large databases. I'm still getting seemingly random results when pressing the first couple of letters of an album title using the number buttons on the remote which is very very annoying and this should be working correctly as a basic requirement of a media library. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I can only put it down to the number of albums confusing MCE. I was hoping this would be sorted.

One improvement is that when hitting play over an album it starts playing a lot quicker. This is the most notable difference but might not be apparent to people with smaller music collections.

I've not used any other media for comparisons so I don't know if the slow database performance is par for the course with 1200 albums or whether there are other players out there that could handle it much better.

16. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +952
    i would have thought that the limiting factor for 1200 Albums! would be the speed of the hard disk esp when it comes to searching for tracks

17. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see the download has -usa at the end.

WindowsXPMediaCenter2005-KB900325-usa.exe

Is that the one people here are using?

Mark

18. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +952
    Yah Vol!

19. Slinkoff

Slinkoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    It shouldn't really be doing that though should it? Surely it would cache the database into a file and search that and then go straight to the required music track on the disk? I'm no DBA but I'm sure database searches can't be done purely by reading the physical location of the files every time, that would take ages. I may well be wrong though.

20. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +952

21. markav

markav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It installed and I can now timer-record radio [sounds of champagne corks popping, dancing in the streets etc. etc.]

Question: with a twin tuner (or dual tuner, if there's a difference), can you *record* 2 things at once?

When I started to add all my regular radio recordings I've started to find a lot of overlaps with regular TV recordings.

22. gazzer82

gazzer82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi markav, yes thats correct, you can record or view live up to 2 programs. So you could in theory record 2 things and watch recorded tv/radio or a dvd. e.t.c

As for the speed of the music Database, this is actually a problem with WMP not MCE and therfore will not be fixed untill an update for WMP is released. It is an issue with the way WMP handles it's database, very inefficiently. It is a known issue and i have been told that windows are working on a fix.

Finally, the version of Rollup 2 that is currently available on the OEM channel of the microsft website is the final version that will be released on Windows Update.

jimbob19 where you using the Nvidia Purevideo decoder? If so this is a known compatibility issue with Rollup 2 and that decoder. Nvidia have stated that they are aware of it and it will be fixed in an updated version of the decoder. So you can either roll-back like you have done or use another decoder such as WinDVD or PowerDVD.

Gareth

23. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Hi,
    You sound like a man in the know - so would you recommend that anyone using the nvidia dvd decoder to not install the emerald update until a new version of the decoder is available?

24. gazzer82

gazzer82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Lisa

Yes you have two options, stick with rollup1 untill nvidia release an updated version of the Purevideo Decoder or change decoder to PowerDVD or WinDVD. Now if you don't have freeview or require the dvb-t radio fix i would stick with rollup1, but be aware that the update from nvidia could be some way off. But if you don't need the purevideo features of the Purevideo Deocder there is no harm in updating now and changing to another decoder, then swapping back when the update comes out. The problem arrises when, like me, you have wanted dvb-t radio since MCE2004 came out, but you have an nvidia 6600GT with purevideo, which greatly improves the picture quality via the s-video out. I think the phrase is stuck between a rock and a hard place ;)

So short answer, if you need purevideo stick with rollup1, if not install a different decoder and go with rollup2.

Cheers

Gareth

25. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    Oh that's disappointing :( I have a 6600GT too, and want to stick with nvidia purevideo, but quite fancied the new features included in Emerald, bummer!

26. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for this info I use the nvidia decoder and was going to upgrade tonight.
    Maybe worth making a sticky for emerald 2 for known bugs etc as this will make me not upgrade until nvidia sort out thier codec or I can get another codec that does DXVA in MCE.

27. gazzer82

gazzer82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well you can always be optomistic, they may release the deocder update to coincide with the relase of rollup2 on Windows Update. Otherwise they are going to get a hell of a lot of support requests. It should be available on Windows Update in about three weeks. So cross all your fingers. But realisticly going on nvidia's previous performance i wouldn't hold your breath.

Cheers

Gareth

28. OhPinchy

OhPinchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Are you sure about this? I know a guy who works in MS Ireland and says he has an internal test version that has a fully working EPG for Ireland and this will be included in the publicly available update - it is not in the version currently available on the OEM site. This is major bad news for me if the update on WindowsUpdate won't include the EPG for Ireland.

29. gazzer82

gazzer82

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes i am sure. The version on the OEM channel is the finished version in fact OEM's have been told that they are allowed to distribute this to there customers if they wish. What you friend has is a version of Media Center that is loggin onto the guide information servers in a slightly different way or onto a different server, this is to allow beta testers to check the features before they are released to the public. Basically all of the guide information for the additional countries is not ready yet, this i the main reason that rollup2 has not yet been released on windows update. However you should find that when rollup2 is released on windows update your guide will be available just fine. I understand that the main concern at the moment guide wise is Australia.

Maybe you should speak nicely to your friend for the short term ;)

Gareth

30. jimbob19

jimbob19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yep I am using the nvidia decoder - rolled back and worked fine
    I have seen mentioned on other forums about it being a known problem , but you would think that nvidia would have had a beta version of the rollup ! And as the download is freely available via the oem site , that they would have released an upgraded decoder :(