Anyone else having connection issues (LG 47LM640T)

MrGoatsmilk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has had connection issues with the LG 47LM640T-ZA software version 04.52.07

Had the LG for 13 months now and all has been fine up until a week ago.

TV wouldn't connect to the internet after dropping out whilst watching a movie via online services. I tried reconnecting then switching on and off but nothing helped, also tried connecting via LAN still no use. Only way I could reconnect was to do a factory reset on the TV.

Since the reset the tv will stay connected for several hours, but then whilst using Sky Now via the TV app and towards the end of a movie it will disconnect and fail to reconnect unless I turn off the TV then back on. When it disconnects I have tried searching for my modem in the TV menu but it will not even see the router or any other router for that matter, only after on/off will it see any routers and connect. I could not connect the LG remote on my iPad or Galaxy S3 during the problem with connection. Basically the TV loses all connection via wifi and LAN. So cannot use any online services etc.

All other items in the house connected without issues and continue to do so. It seems the issue is with the TV. Connection is to BT Home Hub on Infinity internet speeds are fine

The first time this happened I also found the TV was slow to respond to the infra red remote commands but works fine again since the reset.

I'm wondering if the software in the TV has become corrupt and needs a reinstall. I shall look into this next and see if it helps, if it's possible to reinstall the software that is.

Here are my typical speeds via wi-fi and are very much constant even when disconnect takes place

Test Date: Feb 2, 2014 15:16
Download: 34.35 Mbps
Upload: 11.64 Mbps
Ping: 21 ms
Connection Type: Wi-Fi

Thanks

Stuart

Tonight the tv has started dropping connection after around a minute even after being unplugged and switched back on, everything else is staying connected but tv fails to see anything via wifi or Ethernet.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I've checked for available software updates, but shows up to date. Software version 04.52.07 is the version I have installed

It doesn't seem long ago it updated, shame really as since the update is when the problems have occurred. Any idea how to either reinstall firmware or roll it back?

You could try visiting LG's site and download a previous firmware file for your TV. Then place the file on a USB drive.

It doesn't seem long ago it updated, shame really as since the update is when the problems have occurred. Any idea how to either reinstall firmware or roll it back?
A quick Google suggests that an old trick to restore last firmware was removed a while ago and common opinion seems to be as with most Smart TVs you can't go backwards. The TV can check the old firmware and having decided it is older than the one installed it will reject it.

There could be a way to fool it but I don't know what it is. I have no doubt in one of the service menus a tech can install any firmware they want - developer mode is often in there but heading there would probably invalidate any warranty if you have one! If all else fails ask LG support if they can help - might be free you never know

Yeah I did try older firmware, but tv won't install it due to being older. I did find a remote hack to open the engineer mode and may down this route with older firmware.

First time I've gone for LG and probably the last.

Yeah I did try older firmware, but tv won't install it due to being older. I did find a remote hack to open the engineer mode and may down this route with older firmware.

First time I've gone for LG and probably the last.

To be honest, a search didn't reveal any major problems caused by the update.

To be honest, a search didn't reveal any major problems caused by the update.
I know mate I did several searches for the issue, I'm wondering if it's not the tv itself being at fault then maybe it's firmware needs a reinstall, sadly no reinstall option is provided to even rule it out.

I know mate I did several searches for the issue, I'm wondering if it's not the tv itself being at fault then maybe it's firmware needs a reinstall, sadly no reinstall option is provided to even rule it out.
Hi i think it is the software update thats is causing the problem as mine has started to do the same since the last update, i have been in touch with LG and they say that there hasn't been any reported issues with the latest release.

However there is now quite a few people with the same issue, hopefully they will release a new update to fix the problem.

In the end I found that mine was connecting to my BT Hub via the FON and BT Hotspot on the router instead of my main connection. This is what had been causing the issues as there is not option to enter a password for the hotspot connection, not that I would really want to as it's much slower.

I tried re entering the details for wifi several times but it just reverted back to connecting to the hotspot instead and would not remember the main account details for some reason. Everything else connects to the hub wirelessly without issue.

I ended up connecting via a wired RJ45 direct from TV to router, since which I have not had any connection issues.

The Chromecast I recently put upstairs also connects without issue, it's just the LG that's refusing to play ball via wireless.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom